Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
PRESS RELEASE - OCEAN WORLD S.A.

The Truth about the dolphins from Japan

There has been a campaign of misinformation against Ocean World by several extreme animal rights activists regarding the proposed import of dolphins from Japan to the Dominican Republic.

These extremists would like you to believe that Ocean World has a part in, or is ?subsidizing,? the slaughter of dolphins by the proposed purchase of live animals from Taiji, Japan. Nothing could be further from the truth:

The Japanese have been slaughtering dolphins for food in Taiji and other villages for hundreds of years. In fact, they currently do this under the authority and quotas of the International Whaling Commission. No endangered or threatened species are taken.

In recent years the Taiji Whale Museum, which is also an aquarium, has been trying to save dolphins from slaughter by selling some of the dolphins destined for the slaughterhouse to aquaria around the world. The funds from these sales are used for scientific research and education about marine mammals so that the Japanese public will learn to appreciate these animals instead of consuming them for meat.

While Ocean World deplores the killing of dolphins in Taiji, we honestly believe that we are the saving the lives of animals that would otherwise be killed in the slaughterhouse. The animals destined for Ocean World were taken early out of the ?drive? (herding dolphins into coves or bays) and do not witness the killing of their pod mates as the extremists would like you to believe.

The dolphins were in no way harmed during the collection, as this would be counterproductive to selling animals to an aquarium which require healthy, strong, and good looking animals. This can be confirmed via photos and veterinarian reports of the animals, taken not long after their collection.

The animals selected for aquaria are taken to floating sea-pens by Whale Museum staff, while the ones not chosen for aquaria are killed for their meat by local fishermen.

The videos circulated on the internet by these animal rights groups are mostly of animals destined for the slaughterhouse. At one point there are aquarium officials selecting animals for aquaria, but this is then carefully edited with the slaughter videos to make it look like it happens in the same water. Do not be fooled by tactics of these extremists, they are very good at what they do.

The Taiji Whale Museum, which is a administrated by the local government, can confirm the truth about the collection.

The animal activist groups will probably call for a ?tourism boycott? of the Dominican Republic. Do not be scared of such tactics as they have called for boycotts against Florida, South Carolina, The Bahamas, Jamaica, Mexico, Belize, Cayman Islands, and many other nations and states in the past. We expect this ?boycott? will have the same non-existent effect here as it did in those countries because it is usually the same people writing under many different names.

Facilities like Ocean World allow people to experience dolphins up close and personal and make people appreciate dolphins and their environment so that their existence in the wild can be guaranteed for future generations. Ocean World has the largest man-made dolphin lagoon in the world, with a state of the art filtration system that provides clean water and an environment conducive to the reproduction of dolphins, evidenced by the birth of the first dolphin baby in the Dominican Republic under human care, ?Lili? on August 21, 2006. Our female dolphins are just now reaching breeding age so we expect many more calves in the future.

We would like to remind the public that any animals not taken by Ocean World will basically result in their death sentence.

Ocean World would like to save the dolphins from Taiji from death and give them a home in a new highly professional aquatic park in the Punta Cana area. This would produce hundreds of jobs and create a positive tourist addition to the area, similar as Ocean World has done for the North coast.

It is important that one looks at this situation from a rational and scientific view, as the animal rights people are only twisting the truth in order stop Ocean World from receiving these animals. These people would rather see the dolphins dead than at a beautiful habitat. Please do not be fooled by this movement.

If you support our position, or would like more information, please help us save the dolphins by writing us at savethedolphins@ocean-world.info.

C

Chip00

Extremists

I twould seem that Ocean World would need to get Leonel up to speed on the truth of the matter as this issue can only hurt one of the premeir resorts the DR has to offer.

Also, I for one don't doubt the extents to which these animal rights extremists will go to pursue their cause even though it might have some justification. The fact is many of these extremists hold animals in higher regard than human beings and the ironic thing is these fanatics actually think they are more moral than those who don't believe as they do.

Wouldn't it be great if all of these animal rights extremests and anti-global trade anarchists drop their facade of morality and do something productive - like volunteering in the peace corp or some other group to fight hunger? These people would lead you to believe they are somehow doing these things for all of humanity when the real thing is they just can't stand human beings - go figure.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I don't get it. Isn't Ocean World doing these creatures a favor by buying them? Helloooooo. If they are at Ocean World they will not be slaughtered.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Counterproductive

This press release sucks big time; the way it was presented here in particular..

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This press release sucks big time; the way it was presented here in particular..

I posted exactly what was sent to me and I'm sure many other press outlets.

I have visited Ocean World many times unlike most posters on this board. It's a world class facility, run by a team of very dedicated professionals, drawing marine experts from all over the world.

I have yet to hear of anything bad said against Ocean World since they opened. We have hundreds of posts on DR1 relating to Ocean World and I would say that 99.9% are VERY positive. This is more than can be said of some other businesses in the Dominican Republic.

Before anyone says anything...

Yes, they are a great supporter of DR1, but more importantly they are a huge supporter of the Dominican Republic and have done far more than any other group in promoting this country and working to develop it into a world class destination. They are looking to continue this support by developing a marina park in Punta Cana and in the process save a few dolphins from the plates of Japanese diners.

Instead of directing your anger at Ocean World, starting redirecting it towards those people that defend their right to eat a plate of dolphin and fries.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
my final comment

Sometimes you need way more than the truth on your side, particularly when you're in the pleasure business as Ocean World is.

I have yet to hear of anything bad said against Ocean World since they opened.
yes, you have; at least this whole Taiji thing, which is at minimum bad press/publicity.

Instead of directing your anger at Ocean World, starting redirecting it towards those people that defend their right to eat a plate of dolphin and fries.
Here's the main point at was trying to convey with by first post: It doesn't bother me. But say it did,.. would it be OK to than direct my anger not only at those "that defend their right to eat a plate of dolphin and fried," but also at those that (be it indirectly or directly) do business with them? ...see how counterproductive this press release is yet?

P.S I'm coming from a whole PR/damage control perspective. Personally, I'm one of those that would (and has) actively defended the right of people that decide to eat dolphins with fried. That to me, is as moral and fine as me eating pork.

Last edited:
C

Chip00

Peta

I just saw the referenced video through a link on PETA's website and while it may be difficult for some to watch I don't think it is inhumane behavior compared with other methods of killing animals.

I think it is relevant to point out the PETA's stated claim on their website as concerning the use of animals is as follows:

(We) believe that animals are not ours to use for food, clothing, entertainment, experimentation, or any other purpose

In other words how can anybody who is not part of this organization take them seriously? As far as they are concerned all meat eaters are to be educated in order to see the light.

What's even more comical is they have a few comments stating that the Bible supports their case:

If we have dominion over animals, surely it is to protect them, not to use them for our own ends. There is nothing in the Bible that would justify our modern-day practices, which desecrate the environment, destroy entire species of wildlife, and inflict torment and death on billions of animals every year.

This couldn't be further from the truth - God commanded the Israelites to frequently slaughter animals as holocaust offerings by slitting their throats and then burning them. Don't forget Jesus ate fish - and how does one suppose the fish died - by suffocation like the majority of the dolphins.

I think it is apparent that these people have a thinly veiled agenda to take away as much as possible peoples rights to use animals for food etc. Therefore, with this knowledge it isn't so unplausible that the would exaggerate abuses for their own cause.

Also, the statement about "dolphins and fries" - FYI the dolphin you get at restaurants is the dolphin "fish" not the mammal.

Status
Not open for further replies.