Canada calling the DR...

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
I will be there for 2 months this summer and will still want to keep in touch with friends and family....What's the cheapest way or calling card for them to use ???

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Depending upon where you are going, have you considered a laptop and Skype? In Cabarete for example, I can think of four free wi-fi networks on the beachfront alone. I'd guess that most tourist areas now have open wi-fi networks.

Free calls to other Skype users anywhere in the world is certainly the cheapest.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Depending upon where you are going, have you considered a laptop and Skype? In Cabarete for example, I can think of four free wi-fi networks on the beachfront alone. I'd guess that most tourist areas now have open wi-fi networks.

Free calls to other Skype users anywhere in the world is certainly the cheapest.

Skype to skype calls aren't cheap, they are free. Both must be using computer.
Steve

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
Good value call

Hi,

You can also try the YAK system (10-15-945...). Some of my friends call me for a very few amount of money. Between 20 and 40 cents a minute.

Link for you > http://www.yak.ca/en/

Holacanada from la belle ville de Qu?bec :)

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org

Skype to skype calls aren't cheap, they are free. Both must be using computer.
Steve

Must remember... don't do subtle!:p :p :p :laugh: :laugh:

and both must have Skype sotware running.

Indeed, but the software is free too.

You can call landlines from Skype on a PC too. US$0.021 per minute from Dom Rep to Canada. Landline quality is now pretty good (I've phoned DR laptop to UK landline many times). Skype in DR to a DR mobile however, is awful quality. Not tried calling a mobile elsewhere.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Using Bell long distance it costs 0.17 cents per min. You can use Caribe direct no connection fee cards. you can use a $2.50 cards and get about(it varies) 25-35 mins which works out to 8-9 cents per min, or about an hour on a $5 card.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Using Bell long distance it costs 0.17 cents per min. You can use Caribe direct no connection fee cards. you can use a $2.50 cards and get about(it varies) 25-35 mins which works out to 8-9 cents per min, or about an hour on a $5 card. Keep in mind if you are calling a cellphone you'll get less time on your cards.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
other option

I buy call world cards, no connection fee, and it costs about 9 cents a minute. I purchase the cards at 7/11