Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Canada calling the DR...

I will be there for 2 months this summer and will still want to keep in touch with friends and family....What's the cheapest way or calling card for them to use ???

Thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending upon where you are going, have you considered a laptop and Skype? In Cabarete for example, I can think of four free wi-fi networks on the beachfront alone. I'd guess that most tourist areas now have open wi-fi networks.

Free calls to other Skype users anywhere in the world is certainly the cheapest.

I love Rocky's Ribs!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Skype

Quote Originally Posted by KeithF View Post
    Depending upon where you are going, have you considered a laptop and Skype? In Cabarete for example, I can think of four free wi-fi networks on the beachfront alone. I'd guess that most tourist areas now have open wi-fi networks.

Free calls to other Skype users anywhere in the world is certainly the cheapest.
    Skype to skype calls aren't cheap, they are free. Both must be using computer.
    Steve

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Good value call

Hi,

You can also try the YAK system (10-15-945...). Some of my friends call me for a very few amount of money. Between 20 and 40 cents a minute.

Link for you > http://www.yak.ca/en/

Holacanada from la belle ville de Québec

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Costa Azul View Post
    Steve
    and both must have Skype sotware running.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Costa Azul View Post
    Steve
    Must remember... don't do subtle!

Quote Originally Posted by Hlywud View Post
    and both must have Skype sotware running.
    Indeed, but the software is free too.

You can call landlines from Skype on a PC too. US$0.021 per minute from Dom Rep to Canada. Landline quality is now pretty good (I've phoned DR laptop to UK landline many times). Skype in DR to a DR mobile however, is awful quality. Not tried calling a mobile elsewhere.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Using Bell long distance it costs 0.17 cents per min. You can use Caribe direct no connection fee cards. you can use a $2.50 cards and get about(it varies) 25-35 mins which works out to 8-9 cents per min, or about an hour on a $5 card.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Using Bell long distance it costs 0.17 cents per min. You can use Caribe direct no connection fee cards. you can use a $2.50 cards and get about(it varies) 25-35 mins which works out to 8-9 cents per min, or about an hour on a $5 card. Keep in mind if you are calling a cellphone you'll get less time on your cards.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default rates

try 10 10 967 and then the number you want 011 + country code + phone number.
    Canada and USA rates are .02 cents per minute

or these calling card rates Dominican Rep. Calling Cards. Calls to Dominican Rep. from Canada. Lowest Rates.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default other option

I buy call world cards, no connection fee, and it costs about 9 cents a minute. I purchase the cards at 7/11