grand bahia principe

janestag

Feb 20, 2007
My husband & I are interested in going to the grand bahia principe(GBP), but we are confused as we have seen references for GBP punta cana & GBP bavaro. Are there two resorts or only 1?

Also, can anyone give us the scoop (good & bad) about this resort? We plan to go in Mid-June 2007. :)

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
My husband & I are interested in going to the grand bahia principe(GBP), but we are confused as we have seen references for GBP punta cana & GBP bavaro. Are there two resorts or only 1?

Also, can anyone give us the scoop (good & bad) about this resort? We plan to go in Mid-June 2007. :)

This resort is huge. Very nice, good quality for the money, and of course the amazing beach.

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
One of the best resorts...in my opinion...

My friend and I were there in Oct 2006 and December 2006 as well...the resort is huge...spacious, well designed....It is clean, really cleaned and well maintained..the food is sooooooooooooooo good...and the beach is amazing !!! I truly recommend it !

janestag

Feb 20, 2007
trip is booked!

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

After hours & hours of research, I booked a trip to this hotel.

If anyone needs info, I have tons!

bobroswill

Feb 27, 2007
Hi Janestag.....we will also be going to Bahia PC. We will be there 4/17/07-4/17/07.
I will send you an email as I would like any info you can share with us. This will be our first trip to PC . We have been to PP several time.
Thanks

herb

Aug 8, 2007
Back from a hiatus

Well, it's been 9 years since I logged onto the dr1 site and had asked question after question about our stay at the Hacienda Tropicale in Puerto Plata (if that resort still exists under that name!!). That was our first trip to the DR and we had a very nice time.

This coming March we'll be spending 5 nights in Punta Cana at the Bahia Principe. It seems that some internet booking sites call it the Bahia Principe Punta Cana, some call it the Bahia Principe Bavaro.

I understand that they are both really the same; with each side given a different name but will we be located in the part that the internet site referred to it as, or is it a random selection. I'm asking this only because friends of ours may book as well, and I want to make sure that they're close to us, and I don't want them to book through an agency that lists the resort as Bavaro, when in fact our booking agent lists it as Punta Cana and then we'd have to walk miles to see each other :ermm:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
'
It Has Been A Hell On Earth'

Updated: 10:03, Wednesday August 08, 2007
A holiday in a Caribbean paradise has become a nightmare for dozens of British tourists hit a by a mystery stomach bug.
Hygiene experts are investigating the source of the outbreak at the Gran Bahia Principe hotel at Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.

Tummy Bug Ruins Brits' Paradise Holiday |Sky News|World News

This is a different Bahia Principe resort in a different part of the DR.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Ears

Aug 7, 2007
Sky News have made an error somewhere...on the tv station itself they are reporting this outbreak as happening at the Bahia Principe in San Juan (and are showing still pictures of the hotel) but on their website it refers to the Gran Bahia Principe in Punta Cana.

This is a different Bahia Principe resort in a different part of the DR.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2007
Herb, if the booking site refers to as Bavaro, you will be in Bavaro. If Punta Cana, you will be in Punta Cana. Basically, they are two different hotels for accounting purposes (they have two different receptions, and two different accountings) and two different bracelet colors. They are mirror images, but have each its own restaurants, entertainment theatre etc. Usually room interchanges between Bavaro and Punta Cana rooms are not allowed, as they are separate for accounting purposes (for services purposes to guest, you can use either one).

But beware, the resort is LONG (it has about 1 km from reception to the beach). So even if both you and your friends stayt, let's say in Bavaro, you can be far away from each other, while you can be accross the walkway (50 mts) even if one stays in Bavaro and one in Punta Cana.

So there is no easy answer. Your best bet is booking in the same resort name and calling reservations (809-5521444 ask for reservations) to put a request to both reservations to be assigned rooms close together.

Anyhow, you won't have to walk miles... the maximum would be 1 km, about 0.6 mile :)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Herb, if the booking site refers to as Bavaro, you will be in Bavaro. If Punta Cana, you will be in Punta Cana. Basically, they are two different hotels for accounting purposes (they have two different receptions, and two different accountings) and two different bracelet colors. They are mirror images, but have each its own restaurants, entertainment theatre etc. Usually room interchanges between Bavaro and Punta Cana rooms are not allowed, as they are separate for accounting purposes (for services purposes to guest, you can use either one).

But beware, the resort is LONG (it has about 1 km from reception to the beach). So even if both you and your friends stayt, let's say in Bavaro, you can be far away from each other, while you can be accross the walkway (50 mts) even if one stays in Bavaro and one in Punta Cana.

So there is no easy answer. Your best bet is booking in the same resort name and calling reservations (809-5521444 ask for reservations) to put a request to both reservations to be assigned rooms close together.

Anyhow, you won't have to walk miles... the maximum would be 1 km, about 0.6 mile :)

But there is a tram which runs from the lobbies to the beach every few minutes from 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 a.m. No walking necessary, unless you want to.

Gregg

herb

Aug 8, 2007

Thank you for your quick and informative response. I'll make sure to let them know about requesting the same half of the hotel we are booked in! :)

Are all the restaurants split up between the 2 halves of the hotel or just the ones where you need to make reservations?? What about the swimming pool(s), bars and beach use?

Is the resort phone # you gave me a toll free #? I would then call them and ask for our reservations to be "linked" so that we would be near each other.

Feb 7, 2007
The reception area is "split up". This means the following things are replicated:

Reception, lobby, lobby bar, main buffet, theatre, theatre bar, some theme restaurants with reservations.

Mid-section pools are also replicated, with their own pool bars.
It's like Pool, walkway, pool. Pretty nice. You can go to either of the pools, even though i think one of the mid-section pools is reserved for some club guests from both sections.

Beach section is common for both areas, beach bars, main pool, beach, beach restaurant (snacks) and some specialty restaurants with reservations.

partyhardy

Aug 28, 2007
I stayed at the Gran Bahia in the Mayan Peninsula, I was not disappointed very nice lots to do food excellent. Be prepared to walk lots and they have trams available. Have a nice trip. Loved the Japanese.

GAGA

Aug 20, 2007
Hi
Could someone explain the difference between golden suites and junior suites?
Thanks