Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominicana trying to figure out how to renew her passport

Post Thanks / Like

Question Dominicana trying to figure out how to renew her passport

I was born in the Dominican Republic. I moved to the U.S when I was about four years old with my mother. I have been living here ever since. I visited D.R often, until recently. I renewed my passport the last time I was there, I was 17 at the time, and it is due to expire at the end of this month, which I just happened to realize. How do I go about renewing it? Do I need to deal with the D.R consulate? Can I renew it here in the U.S or do I have to travel to D.R to get it renewed? Any information or links to pertinent websites would be extremely helpful.

Gracias

Post Thanks / Like

To renew your Dominican passport you can do it at any Dominican consulate/embassy in the US http://www.domrep.org/faqconsular.html

But hopefully you have a vaild American passport or you will not be able to get back into the US without it.

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
    The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

Taken from New Requirements for Travelers

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Anna , as I understand it...any VALID passport will be accepted...not just US passports.....

bob

Post Thanks / Like

Default Assuming she's trying to renew a Dominican passport

Quote Originally Posted by laurapasinifan View Post
    Anna , as I understand it...any VALID passport will be accepted...not just US passports.....

bob
    Yes Bob you are right as far as getting into the DR but will the US allow you to get back in the US with a Dominican passport?

I'm assuming she's asking about re newing her Dominican passport. That is the reason I wrote that a valid US passport is needed above all.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah but dominicans in america who have dominican passports can get in and out with those passports......the new law is in effect right now and i saw a hundred people with dominican passports coming into the country right along side of me....

bob

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe with a little thing called a green card/residency paper between the pages

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Clarification of situation

Ok, so I am a permanent resident of the U.S. I am a citizen of the Dominican Republic. My green card does not expire for another 10 years and then I have to renew again. I am living and have been living in the united States since the age of 4. My passport is due to expire at the end of this month. I know I can go to D.R with my passport and back into the U.S as long as my passport has not expired and will not expire between my travel dates. However, i do not have the time to go to D.R to personally renew it, so I want to know if I can do it here in the U.S. I live in Rhode Island but Have family in NY. Do I need a copy of my birth certificate to renew? Hopefully this clarifies my situation a little more. Thank you for your replies thus far.

Soraya K.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

hey Anna, do you think bullet #8 on the link you provided ,answers this girls question? the term Renovate is slightly confusing to me....It COULD mean renew....or it could mean alter..like a new address change...or a maritial name change....

anyway dominicanchica17...use the link and find the consular phone number and ask them. Its the best way......I would think the consulate could be sued to get a renewal....I am not sure the time line will be short though.

good luck

bob

Post Thanks / Like

Go with my first link and I've even found the page with locations in the US to renovate you're Dominican passport.

click here Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

Bob I noticed that word too but thought it was a typo but maybe just a bad translation

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This web page should answer all your questions.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast