New to this board...need help

Susan from Cowtown

Feb 21, 2007
I'm new to this board and have never traveled to the Dominican Republic. We have the ability to request a condo week with Interval International. The problem is there are a lot of condos to choose from. Not being familar with the island, I do not know what part of the island would be best for us. Does anyone have any perference as to what part is better? Could someone tell me the layout of the island. Is there a leeward side and a wavy side? Also, ease of travel...Should we rent a car or use taxis? What is the exchange rate of USD to DP? As you can see I am a real gringo and need some help, anything you could give me would be great.:)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You will find that everybody has a different opinion about which part of the country is best, as opinions will also vary about renting cars or not.
If you tell us what yo uwant and like, maybe we can make valid suggestions.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It might be better if you tell us what you like!

The island is south and east of Cuba, north coast is on the Atlantic Ocean - beautiful beaches, mountainous, very green. The east and south are the Caribbean Sea, more tranquil, flatter, but beautiful too. It depends what kind of holiday you want where you might want to go.

Some areas are closer to local towns and offer a more cultural experience. Some are more isolated - the emphasis is on relaxing.

Some are totally all inclusive with no other options.

What is it you want to get out of your holiday? And what age bracket? That might help determine suggestions.

Also, use the search function on this website to look for area and ideas. There are forums and threads about specific areas. Check them out.

Susan from Cowtown

Feb 21, 2007
I'm sorry my questions are very vague. I'm not sure what we would like just yet. I'm trying to get a feel for the country. We are in the 46 - 52 age range, we will be celebrating our 25 wedding annivesary next year and are looking for a new place to go. We travel frequently to Cancun, the Mayan Riveria and the Costa Maya. My husband dives and I like to snorkle. We love the beach. We love to explore and enjoy the native people. My favorite thing is to find a really good fish dinner at a good price and go find a secluded beach. Even better is a really good fish dinner on the beach! For that reason we do not do all inclusive. We prefer to have the freedom to move around as we please. We like to get off the "beaten path" but in a new country I'm sure we will be more inclined to do the tourist thing.
How are the people of DR? Is there a lot of crime? Is it like Mexico, for the most part people are trust worthey, you just have to remember you are in a forgien country and you should watch yourself and your stuff? Are the police corrupt like in Mexico?
If you are on the south side of the island, where the water is calm, are there any reefs near by?
I really appreicate you input and I will do more reading on this board.