DR1ers and their Social Class

What socio-economic class do you belong to in the society you live?

• Upper Class

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Upper Middle Class

Votes: 50 56.8%
  • Lower Middle Class

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Working Class

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Lower Class

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is one of those polls where DR1ers get to know with what type of audience we are dealing with on these boards in a general sense. Obviously, such polls are not based to give the full reality of the socio-economic class various members of this website belong to in the society they live in. To be able to do that, every single person (including non-members of DR1) would have to be forced to vote on their socio-economic class standing and that is quite frankly impossible and even if it was possible, it would not be permissible in anycase.

However, such poll will give all of us an idea or a base from which we can use to better address the members of this site whenever we want to discuss any topic. Such poll can also give us a base from which we can extrapolate some "theories" or explanations for why the general concensus on this site goes one way or another on various aspects, etc.

In short, such polls allows DR1ers to get to know who they are dealing with. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
POLL: What socio-economic class do you belong to in the society you live?

(The image below shows the options and the description. Please, choose the option that best fits your reality. For the sake of simplicity, we will use the American socio-economic class system. Ignore the income ranges if you don't live in the US, but everything else stands for this poll. Also, the percentages on the left side of the image represents the percentage of US population which are in such category).

BTW: If you are retired, simply choose the category that would had best fit your position the last time you were part of the work force.

Class_Thompson_Hickey_copy.jpg

Source: Socioeconomic Class

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What makes you think we need a class categorisation in order to 'know who we are dealing with'? :)

People from different social-economic background tend to see the world differently, this is particularly true when it concerns political, economic, or social issues and what would be the best way to correct them.

If we know where a good number of DR1ers stand in terms of their socio-economic standing, then we will be able to better understand their own personal opinions, reactions, and/or other forms of persuasion regarding various subjects concerning the DR and its problems.

I don't know if other DR1ers have noticed this, but there is a class system on DR1.com itself! Where a member stands in terms of his DR1 class affects what he/she may say, how the person addresses others, and how much influence the person may have over various aspects of this website. Similarly to real life, where a person stands on the DR1 hierarchy affects the way the person expresses him/herself here and affects the way they perceive many things about this website, how it works, and may or may not challenge the hierarchy itself.

-NALs

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Your economic figures do not line up with education or class for that matter. For example most drug dealers bring considerable more than a university professor or a banking excutive. An oil worker in northern Canada brings $10,000 dollars per month, not much education required. I've seen poor people with more " class " in their little finger than many millionairs have. Social Class is more than the amount of money you have.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Your economic figures do not line up with education or class for that matter. For example most drug dealers bring considerable more than a university professor or a banking excutive. An oil worker in northern Canada brings $10,000 dollars per month, not much education required. I've seen poor people with more " class " in their little finger than many millionairs have. Social Class is more than the amount of money you have.
As with everything, there are exeptions to every rule.

However, their is a positive relationship between education and income as well as between class and the chances of getting a good education which leads to greater chances of earning higher incomes. This has been proven multiple times in study after study.

And yes, a drug dealer may earn more than an executive, but a drug dealer will never be of the same status as an executive. Part of the reason has to do with why a drug dealer may have a higher income than an executive.

A drug dealer is being compensated for the extremely risky business he runs whereas an executive is compensated for his extremely rare skills and qualifications. In the long run, drug dealers come and go, good executives remain and if we were to tabulate life-time earnings between the two, an executive could very well earn more over the course of his life than would a drug dealer. In part that is true because sooner or later drug dealers are "taken out of business" either by the "competition" or the law catches up to them and from that moment forward, their income stream ends. With an executive, unless he veers into illicit means, will continue to have his income stream.

Regarding your example of a Canadian oil worker, again its a function of demand and supply. One of the following must be true: either oil workers are scarce in Canada (this could be due to difficulty for most people to attain the proper training necessary or the training itself is rigurous or the risks involved are such that most people are aversed to such job, etc) or current oil workers are creating an artificial scarcity via unions (or some other manipulation on the supply side).

Regardless, an oil worker will never be in the same social class as an executive, eventhough the oil worker could be living a much more comfortable lifestyle.

An executive probably has a greater chance of influencing the local, regional, or national governmental policies than does an oil worker. The opinion of an executive could be valued many times more by ordinary people and people in power than would the opinion of an oil worker or a drug dealer, etc despite the high incomes and lifestyles.

A person's social standing is more than simple income or education levels. However, the higher the education level, the higher the income, the higher the status tends to be of such person. Such person's status is not due to one of those aspects, but rather to the combination of all those aspects.

-NALs

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gee, i am now waiting for the poll: who pays the damn bills? you or your dominican spouse?
poll forum is getting curioser and curioser...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
gee, i am now waiting for the poll: who pays the damn bills? you or your dominican spouse?
poll forum is getting curioser and curioser...
Funny you mention that.

A certain DR1er PMed me recently suggesting a new poll topic. I have not decided if I will create such poll, but perhaps I will, I simply need to word it well to avoid the avalanche of criticisms.

Anyways, its not about "paying bills", but rather "who sleeps with whom"... hmmm...

-NALs ;)

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Funny you mention that.

A certain DR1er PMed me recently suggesting a new poll topic. I have not decided if I will create such poll, but perhaps I will, I simply need to word it well to avoid the avalanche of criticisms.

Anyways, its not about "paying bills", but rather "who sleeps with whom"... hmmm...

-NALs ;)
Was it me again which one of the two? ha ha

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
People from different social-economic background tend to see the world differently, this is particularly true when it concerns political, economic, or social issues and what would be the best way to correct them.

If we know where a good number of DR1ers stand in terms of their socio-economic standing, then we will be able to better understand their own personal opinions, reactions, and/or other forms of persuasion regarding various subjects concerning the DR and its problems.

I don't know if other DR1ers have noticed this, but there is a class system on DR1.com itself! Where a member stands in terms of his DR1 class affects what he/she may say, how the person addresses others, and how much influence the person may have over various aspects of this website. Similarly to real life, where a person stands on the DR1 hierarchy affects the way the person expresses him/herself here and affects the way they perceive many things about this website, how it works, and may or may not challenge the hierarchy itself.

-NALs

Sweetie, bless you but I didn't need the explanation. Rhetorical questions are social class neutral methinks. Now.............how to tell when a question is rhetorical? Hmmmm............maybe we should have a poll on it........?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
my class flututates..by day, i'm upper middle class but at night after a few cuba libres, i'm strictly lower class...:laugh:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thing is, DR1 is made up of a number of nationalities, and each country has its own definitions. NALs' list only applies to the US. In any case, as others have pointed out, education, income and culture/values do not always co-relate.

Just as an illustration, here are the definitions used in UK marketing to define social groups - these are based entirely on educational/professional factors, so marketeers are always trying to find other ways of pigeonholing their target markets, especially with regard to culture, attitudes and politics:

A - Upper middle: Higher managerial, administrative or professional

B - Middle - Intermediate managerial, administrative or professional

C1 - Lower middle - Superiors or clerical, junior managerial, administrative or professional

C2 - Skilled working - Skilled manual workers

D - Working - Semi-skilled and un-skilled manual workers

E - Those at lowest level of subsistence - State pensioners or widows, casual or lower-grade workers

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Funny you mention that.

-NALs ;)
Posting this kind of information could be risky. What if one of the upper class people have their info leaked to a bad actor? Not smart, as we have all learned here from previous do's and don'ts, posted by other members.

I know that it's ALWAYS "anyway" and NEVER "anyways", you can't plural anyway, but maybe that should be polled.
Steve

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thing is, DR1 is made up of a number of nationalities, and each country has its own definitions. NALs' list only applies to the US. In any case, as others have pointed out, education, income and culture/values do not always co-relate.

Precisely. To define 'social class' in terms of income is not only inaccurate but also, to many of us, a very.........er........lower class activity. ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Precisely. To define 'social class' in terms of income is not only inaccurate but also, to many of us, a very.........er........lower class activity. ;)

:D :D :D
only the worst breed of bread, sorry, rice-eaters can get silly ideas like that! :cheeky:

asopao

Aug 6, 2005

Thankyou Bob Saunders.

This is correct, I earn over 50,000, and I don't even have an Associate's Degree ! my ex has a bachelors, and I make more than her.

Where the hell Nals is connecting " money and education" as " class"??

so, an " executive" with a degree is to be " heard" by the " lower classes" more than me , just because he is an " executive"?? what kind of stupid garbage is this??

that might be the case in a poor country like DR, but not in industrialized countries.

I might know more history and social studies than that " executive".

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
Posting this kind of information could be risky. What if one of the upper class people have their info leaked to a bad actor? Not smart, as we have all learned here from previous do's and don'ts, posted by other members.

I know that it's ALWAYS "anyway" and NEVER "anyways", you can't plural anyway, but maybe that should be polled.
Steve

And don't even talk about Anyhoo !!!!

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
Thankyou Bob Saunders.

This is correct, I earn over 50,000, and I don't even have an Associate's Degree ! my ex has a bachelors, and I make more than her.

Where the hell Nals is connecting " money and education" as " class"??

so, an " executive" with a degree is to be " heard" by the " lower classes" more than me , just because he is an " executive"?? what kind of stupid garbage is this??

that might be the case in a poor country like DR, but not in industrialized countries.

I might know more history and social studies than that " executive".

Its funny , talk about class and who has it and who hasn't..

You often hear about folk of limited means who invite a foriegner into their home and prepare a simple meal which might have lasted them several days.

On the other side of the coin folks who appear to be wealthy being mean and penny pinching, who wouldn't offer a tradesman a drink or sandwich while he worked around their home.

Class means so much more than just money, social position or education.
Its a shame people can't see through that.
Its a pity this subject came up in this manner, it reflects upon those who contrived it and those who seem anxious to pigeon hole people by one means or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.