Moving to DR

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
Hi I've been trying to get some help regarding moving to the DR. just so me basic information, I am too living in Canada and wanted someone,anyone to give me a basic idea about living in Bavara, Please Please Please?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Bavaro or Bavaria? :) Try doing a search first using the search function. Then come back with specific questions. The more specific your questions the more help you're likely to receive. I live in Puerto Plata. Living in Bavaro may in some respects be similar but in others different. Do you see what I mean? That sentence didn't tell you much, did it? Living in any place is going to be heavily dependent on your age, lifestyle, whether you are retiring here etc etc. There are lots of different variables. That's why you need to be specific.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Have A Lot Of "Fixed Income"?

You will need a lot of money to live here! Chances of finding a "Good Job" are slim! Anything over 30,000 pesos a month is a "Good Job" here! Should I say "GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT JOB" here!
"GOOD LUCK"!!!!
CC

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
what's the monthly sankie salary ? maybe i can retire and be a sankie...

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Hi I've been trying to get some help regarding moving to the DR. just so me basic information, I am too living in Canada and wanted someone,anyone to give me a basic idea about living in Bavara, Please Please Please?

I?m Canada I can?t help you on where in the DR you would like live. If you consider the North Coast I can probably help you. I live very happily and comfortable in the countryside. If I can help PM me.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
i'd say the earning power is centered elswhere....:D

btw how much sankies earn?

Please be more specfic..
Do you mean what they steal from you while you are in the shower ,what they take you for with BS stories after you left and ask for money to be sent to them..So On and So On..As Kyle said I just might be a sankie myself.
I need to take a class first on Lying,Stealing and Thievery in General..

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Since the OP has only been once...

Hi, I'm new to all of this and simply wanted more insight on Punta Cana. I visited once and fell on love with the City. Anyone familiar with cost of living, jobs (easy/hard to get) & most importantly security. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

This was posted on someone elses' thread in the Travel section by the OP.

I would suggest doing alot of research. Many posters on DR1 are going to tell you the same thing... if you want to move here, you should just come for an extended vacation first.

One trip to the Punta Cana/Bavaro will not give you an insight to what it is really like to live in the DR.

There is a wealth of information on this site, start by using the search function, and read, read, read ! When you have done your homework, then come back and ask questions geared to your personal goals.

Marlie

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
Thanks, I was thinking I can teach English. I just want to take a yr off N America live as "local" as possible, with an income of course

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
You will need a lot of money to live here! Chances of finding a "Good Job" are slim! Anything over 30,000 pesos a month is a "Good Job" here! Should I say "GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT JOB" here!
"GOOD LUCK"!!!!
CC

Thanks,what does the avg working poor-dominican make per month

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Please be aware that there are many unemployed Dominicans desperate for work. This situation is likely to get worse as more Zona Franca factories close down. Speaking personally & nothing against the OP, I would prefer that any available work goes to Dominicans who cannot make the choice to leave the DR as opposed to foreigners who do have a choice as to whether they move here or not. There are many Dominicans who can teach English. I would not like to see a foreigner who has a choice take a job from a Dominican who does not.

And if the Government does not take action about this potentially extremely serious situation I would like to ask other resident foreigners who feel the same way to make known their concerns. Thanks.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Also the average poor working Dominican makes from 5200 to 6400 pesos per month.....

BTW- How much do maids and 'serranos' make now??? Must be in the same range??

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Living in the D.R.

What B.S. I would really like the people who post useless responses to STOP most of you have no clue. Like anywhere in the world there are bad people and places. I have worked in 24 different countries and retired at 40. Have been coming to this country for 25 years two ex dominican wives the first an angel the second well ? I moved here in 1999 with 500 dollars per month income and had no problem living here and supporting my beer habit eating good with a nice apt. my boat and yes CHEVY. SUBURBAN. It all depends on what kind of life style you want to live. Now of course I have much more income but, I have never had to work,nor would I. If you speak multi languages it is easy to find work. Each according to his works each according to his means. Sankie,pimp,chulo,whatever sound like a bunch of low lifes to me. Have walked all the streets in the capital and Santiago,P.o.P.,etc. and nobody has ever hurt me or bothered me to the point I could not defend my self no worse than N.Y. Atlanta, L.A. etc. GET A LIFE.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
4 to 6 thousand Pesos a month is about average for a nonskilled job in the DR. Like "

self proclaimed"CAPTAIN!
Which is about the average electric bill for someone who has a "Fridge",fan,TV and a computer. Hot Water,"Air",washer,forget dryer, then double that!
I,d say you will need 30,000 pesos plus to have a nice "Single Life".
"Beer Money" to way too many "Expats"!!!and "Captains!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
Please be aware that there are many unemployed Dominicans desperate for work. This situation is likely to get worse as more Zona Franca factories close down. Speaking personally & nothing against the OP, I would prefer that any available work goes to Dominicans who cannot make the choice to leave the DR as opposed to foreigners who do have a choice as to whether they move here or not. There are many Dominicans who can teach English. I would not like to see a foreigner who has a choice take a job from a Dominican who does not.

And if the Government does not take action about this potentially extremely serious situation I would like to ask other resident foreigners who feel the same way to make known their concerns. Thanks.

Your reply would suffice if I asked what you thought about Non-Dominicans working in the Dominican Republic and the unemployment rate... There was no need to waste your time here. However, if you started this thread I would be happy to comment on your point.

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
What B.S. I would really like the people who post useless responses to STOP most of you have no clue. Like anywhere in the world there are bad people and places. I have worked in 24 different countries and retired at 40. Have been coming to this country for 25 years two ex dominican wives the first an angel the second well ? I moved here in 1999 with 500 dollars per month income and had no problem living here and supporting my beer habit eating good with a nice apt. my boat and yes CHEVY. SUBURBAN. It all depends on what kind of life style you want to live. Now of course I have much more income but, I have never had to work,nor would I. If you speak multi languages it is easy to find work. Each according to his works each according to his means. Sankie,pimp,chulo,whatever sound like a bunch of low lifes to me. Have walked all the streets in the capital and Santiago,P.o.P.,etc. and nobody has ever hurt me or bothered me to the point I could not defend my self no worse than N.Y. Atlanta, L.A. etc. GET A LIFE.

Thank you... Where in the DR did you start out? I was thinking Bavaro.PC. Oh by the way, OP? What does the abrev. mean