Shopping for a Condo

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are a lot of condos for sale in the Sosua area so buyers have many to choose from. However, my observation is that many are using the wrong criteria in deciding where to buy. Maintenance fees are important, but should not be the primary consideration. And just because something is new does not make it better.

It surprises me how many dissatisfied condo owners that I have come in contact with during the past year. And for the most part, what they are dissatisfied with are things that they should have discovered before they bought.

In no particular order, here are a few suggestions of what to ask or look for when shopping for a condo. All are based on complaints that I have heard. Others will, I'm sure, be able to add to the list.

1. Does the condominium have a paid administrator, or is the supervision done by a couple of volunteer owners.

2. Do the people living there speak positively about the way the condominium is administered?

3. Are there owners who are not paying maintenance fees? If so, what action is being taken to force them to pay.

4. Does the condominium have written rules? If so, read them carefully and ask yourself if all the bases have been covered or if the rules are just intended to meet the requirement that a property have rules in order to get condominium status under the Condo Law. Look for how owners or other residents who disturb you will be dealt with. Loud music, barking dogs, yelling and screaming children,etc., will spoil not only your day but also your enjoyment of your condo. Look for the rule or rules that describes the action that will be taken if an owner doesn't pay maintenance fees and assessments.

5. Does the condominium have insurance, not on contents but to replace the building at full value if severely damaged or destroyed? If insured, is the payment included in the maintenance fee or paid for by assessment.?

6. Are the buildings and grounds being maintained as well as you think they should be? Your new condo won't maintain or increase its value if the building and grounds are not properly maintained.

7. Back to rules, are there rules to protect the aesthetic appearance of the building, or can each owner do his thing. The aesthetic appearance of the building is also a factor in maintaining the value of your purchase.

8. What procedure is described in the rules for dealing with owners and other residents who don't abide by the rules of the condominium?

9. Will anything be done if an owner invites prostitutes to his apartment and they walk around in the nude outdoors?

Based on what I know and have heard from others, if I were choosing a condo to buy, I would take the one that has good administrator with a track record, shows evidence of being maintained, has a good set of rules with procedures for dealing with problems that are likely to spoil your enjoyment of your condo, and has adequate insurance on the building, preferably in dollars rather than pesos.

I happen to live in a condominium that, I think, meets all the criteria and I am very happy that I do. Because there are a large number of condo owners who paid a lot of money but who are not getting the satisfaction from their purchase they deserve. If your selection is based only on the input of your realtor and the maintenance fee in comparison to others, chances are that you, too, will be one of those dissatisfied owners.

If a condominium is new and does not yet have rules or administrative procedures that you can verify, I would be doubly cautious about buying there. The adoption and revision of rules requires the approval of 75% of the owners. Getting a large group of new owners who don't know each other well and who are probably new to condo ownership to come up with a comprehensive set of well thought out rules that most owners can agree to is a monumental task and likely to take years to accomplish, assuming that it can be accomplished with the mix of owners of your condominium.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Procedure ?

Ken,
You are talking about a procedure for dealing with owners and other residents who don't abide by the rules of the condominium.

We are in our condominium complex working on a revision of our rules.
Can you tell me how do you deal with residents who do'nt abide by the rules ?

Thank you very much for your input.

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
Ken you left out the name of your complex. I understand your desire to protect your privacy. How about you name four comlpexes that are better than most. please ignore the spelling errors spell check disapeared from tool bar? I printed your post, for future reference thankyou

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken you left out the name of your complex. I understand your desire to protect your privacy. How about you name four comlpexes that are better than most. please ignore the spelling errors spell check disapeared from tool bar? I printed your post, for future reference thankyou

Lucine, I live in El Neptuno in Sosua. We have the best administrator on the north coast and our buildings and common areas, though not new, are very well maintained. We have a good set of rules and they are enforced, a revision is in process that will make them even stronger. The General Assembly earlier this month approved installing entry doors on each of our buildings with intercom connection to each apartment in order to increase security. We have insurance to cover the replacement cost of the condominium that covers everything included in the construction. Owners who want content insurance can buy it, but all are covered for the replacement cost of the buildings. The owners take pride in the condominium and approve measures to improve it. The Assembly also approved renovating the patio in front of the building, replacing the present expanse of concrete with walks and green spaces. We are located in a quiet, upscale neighborhood, but only a few minutes walk from the center of town and the beach. The apartments are large, with 2 bedrooms and two baths. I think apartments here are a much better value than are the much higher priced apartments in the many new condos that are being built in the area.

Several apartments are presently available, and it is possible to deal direct with owners if you prefer. Our administrator is Ramona Valdez. If anyone wants her contact information, please send me a PM or email.

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
you've been very generous with your information thank-you, I'll have to give them a look when I come down in July. But I will heed the advice to rent first, thanks again.
sincerely
lucine

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Pre-constructions usually do not have rules yet?

I used to live in El Neptuno and like it alot. My only problem was the woman who lives across the street and when she drives home she honks loudly for servants to open the gate. Any time day or night. Especially night.

Reactions: mike l

gsoto

Jul 31, 2009
Lucine, I live in El Neptuno in Sosua. We have the best administrator on the north coast and our buildings and common areas, though not new, are very well maintained. We have a good set of rules and they are enforced, a revision is in process that will make them even stronger. The General Assembly earlier this month approved installing entry doors on each of our buildings with intercom connection to each apartment in order to increase security. We have insurance to cover the replacement cost of the condominium that covers everything included in the construction. Owners who want content insurance can buy it, but all are covered for the replacement cost of the buildings. The owners take pride in the condominium and approve measures to improve it. The Assembly also approved renovating the patio in front of the building, replacing the present expanse of concrete with walks and green spaces. We are located in a quiet, upscale neighborhood, but only a few minutes walk from the center of town and the beach. The apartments are large, with 2 bedrooms and two baths. I think apartments here are a much better value than are the much higher priced apartments in the many new condos that are being built in the area.

Several apartments are presently available, and it is possible to deal direct with owners if you prefer. Our administrator is Ramona Valdez. If anyone wants her contact information, please send me a PM or email.
hi, looking at your old post of 2007. What is the aprox. value of your condo now and what was it about 1 year ago ?. Do you still consider it a good value ? Are there any avail now ? Will they b ok to rent for vacationers/residents, and at what rate? HOw long might it take to get a renter ? If I am more interested in buying for renting to tourists, where might be the best value now ? Can you recommend someone I can talk to ? Thank yo for the info.

sosuaman

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 27, 2006
This post is in response to "Ken" stating that where he lives has "the best administrator on the north coast".

I have personally stayed at this condo complex and can safely say that the stay was wonderful EXCEPT for the administrator "Ramona".

I paid good money to stay there and was constantly harrassed by this administrator. The rooms were NOT cleaned when they said they would and I was rudely startled by these people knocking on my bedroom window! early in the morning, asking to clean my place after they neglected to do it at the scheduled time.

Then to my surprise, I get a notorized, scathing letter from this administrator, telling me I acted inappropriately to their lack of cleaning and that I should have been nicer in my approach to them - concerning the fact that they forgot about cleaning my condo. After all they are Dominican (they are slower and not in a rush) and the clock was broken - the two lame excuses I got.

After my stay, this administrator, then sent a letter to the condo owners, stating I was a bad tenant and that I liked to bring in undesirables to the condo (my many dominican friends) - who are harmless and NEVER caused any problem.

When I left, I left the condo in perfect condition and was in contact with the condo owner reporting to him how nice I kept the condo and how inappropriate the conduct of this administrator was.

This administrator made it a living hell for me while I was there, yet I did the best I could to ignore her and simply enjoy my vacation. I was an invited guest (by another owner) at this condo complex, but I feel my treatment by this particular administrator was highly unprofessional and I would NOT wish this type of treatment on any other guest to this establishment nor would I ever stay there again as there are MANY other places in town, just as nice, that actually have an administrator that is not snobby and on a power trip.

I have been traveling to Sosua for 6 years now and have stayed at almost every place available in this town, NEVER with an incident - this is by far the worst treatment I have ever had from an administrator of the place I stayed at.

In addition, I had the chance to "meet" Ken, I saw him walking by on several occasions and a simple "hello" on my part was never followed up by a "hello" on his part. Ken and this administrator are very tight and his attitude basically matched the administrator's - cold, not caring and basically an aloof - I'm better than you are attitude - that to me, just doesn't fly in Sosua which is filled with happy, welcoming, friendly people.

I would say IF you choose to stay at this complex, avoid Ken and the administrator and you'll be OK :)

Good luck!

Adios amigos and amigas!

Megoreilly

Oct 14, 2009
I much prefer Cabarete, just a short jaunt down the road. Not as 'in your face' drugs and prostitution. Also, the beach is better, Sosua has a bay with beautiful turquoise waters but you are constantly pestered by vendors. I have lived down here for two years and love it. I agree strongly with Ken that there are many complexes, that although are not brand new, are better managed, have more mature landscaping and a wonderful community of friends. Good luck, we hope you wil join us soon!

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Maybe a tour to see other areas in order. Sosua will continue to be a bit run down:
8 other areas in DR may be better.
Yanandu