stupid mosquito question

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I understand that In mosquito prevention it is necessary to avoid standing water because even in the smallest amound of water hundreds of mosquito larve can survive...

So far so good...
But...
How do you water the animals?

Greetings

Johan

Sep 19, 2005
I think constant standing water is the problem...not a small water dish for your pets.
if you are speaking of farm animals it may be a little different,

But what you need to do is reduce or elliminate as much stagnant standing water as possible....Stagnant water is the source of breeding mosquitos....

bob

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Aedes egypti - diurnal predator - dengue fever vector - breeds in clean clear water

Anopheles - nocturnal predator - malaria vector - breeds in murky dirty water

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If the water is changed daily mosquitos will not be able to breed in it.....
even the dengue carrying kind!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
so no way to avoid those bastards?

A medical mystery, being discussed in bars along the North Coast, is that maintaining an alcohol blood level of 0.01 percent makes a person practically immune to these critters.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
A medical mystery, being discussed in bars along the North Coast, is that maintaining an alcohol blood level of 0.01 percent makes a person practically immune to these critters.

then it may be beneficial to keep this preventative measure on a daily basis.
just to be on a safe side - maybe one should maintain those alcohol levels a little higher?
for medical purposes, of course, one has to stay ahead of the modern health ideas....

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The larve of most mosquitoes require 4 to 10 days to instar, go through life cycle, and produce a breeding mosquito. As mosquitoes require stagnant water to deposit their eggs this stagnant water can be clean or dirty. The fresher it is the cleaner it is. Through time as the water becomes dirtier through stagnation the mosquito eggs continue to develop and only require a flood of water that is deoxygenated to hatch.

I have a dog which I give water to on a daily basis in his water container. I insure that his water is changed daily therefore not enough time elapses for mosquito larvae to instar if the mosquitoes should decide to lay their eggs there. I have two water tanks, one in the yard and one on the roof, that have covers so that mosquitoes can't enter. I also have a 25 gallon container on my back porch for water and it has a screen top so that mosquitoes can't enter. I insure that my yard is clean of items that have the ability to hold standing water. The egg shells that I put in the compost pile outside my kitchen are always crushed up so that they can't retain water.

These are the things that I do to try to keep the mosquito population in check. The only problem is that mosquitoes have a flight range of about 200 meters which requires the use of an insecticide only because other people don't use the precautions that I do.

If you are talking about farm animals then I don't know what to tell you other then possibly changing their water at least ever 4 days to avoid eggs going through the 4 instars of development.

Rick

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am no farmer but i would have thought you give fresh water to your animals. maybe fill the water thing in the morning and let animal during all day. but never leave it for days....
at least this is what we did on my grandad farm...

Sep 19, 2005
get one of the black light mosquitos zappers....and just leave it on....it should cut down tremendously on the amount of live mosquitos available...thus less breeders....over time it can wreck the mosquito population...because in a night 5,000 mosquitos that got zapped were 5,000 that didnt have any more chance of infectiing you with anything....

my head and hands collected at least 15 mosquito bites in the course of 4 night on my last trip....because we didnt want to bother with the net.....and they only seem to be able to find my white skin in the night, they never seem to bite my GF.

bob

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
laurapasinifan;493275they only seem to be able to find my white skin in the night said:
Know the feeling they like fresh meat...
In my case deet act as a neon sign saying "BITE HERE"

Greetigns

Johan

C

Chip00

Make that a triple and hurry it up dammit!

Actually they've already put it into practice and have decided by much trial and error that a minumum "operating" level of 0.15 should be maintained. If you didn't already know why most of their posts on this forum are as they are - well now you do!:laugh:

Sep 19, 2005
in the DR, I am not sure. But it would seem any place similar stuff is sold...like the big hardware stores, and or big dept stores.

I havent specifically looked for them in the DR, so I cant say.

good luck

bob

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
Are there any bat species native to the Dominican Republic? If so a bat house on your property can go a long way to keeping mosquitos under control. You can find plans for bat houses online (free). An environmentally friendly pest control solution and one that costs next to nothing.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Are there any bat species native to the Dominican Republic? If so a bat house on your property can go a long way to keeping mosquitos under control. You can find plans for bat houses online (free). An environmentally friendly pest control solution and one that costs next to nothing.

Ah! Good call... On a recent trip to Cabarete I spent ages sitting on the beach, just slightly after the last of the lights (around the Ocean One development) watching the bats, illuminated by the lights behind them. There were loads of them. Never thought about that as a possible reason why there aren't too many mossies in the area. That said, the ones that are there, love me, in particular, my left leg!? On another trip recently, the back up generator hadn't been installed at that point. Power went down (obviously) and I could hear the little b'stard. Couldn't do anything about it other than cover myself with repelant and a sheet. Following morning, I'd been feasted on. I went searching and found two mossies in the apartment. Caught them both... amazing how much of my own blood I got splattered on my hands!

Back in Cabarete next Wednesday... might have plans for a bat-house with me!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Speaking of malaria pills...what's the consensus on taking them? I have heard lots of people don't like to take them for the side effects and then others have no problem. My doctor prescribed me 2 different types and said I could take whichever one I wanted to ...That was definitely not helpful. He said he didn't take them when he went but that isn't saying much either.
Any advice?