Watch out for ATM Errors!

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I'd just like to warn people who use the ATM's in the DR to keep an eye on their bank accounts.

A few months ago I used an ATM in Puerto Plata. I was drawing cash from a UK bank. I tried to draw out 1000 RD but the machine said I had insufficient funds. I tried again with 3000 RD and received the cash and a receipt. However, when checking on my internet banking a few days later I noticed the 1000 RD that was refused had still been debited. My bank in UK are currently still investigating this but have credited my account in meantime.

A week or so ago I used my Banco Santa Cruz (based in Sosua) ATM Card at Scotiabank in Sosua. I tried to withdraw 8000 RD but the machine said that it could not dispense cash at that moment in time and to try again later. I thought I'd try a lesser amount in case machine had insufficient cash so I requested 5000 RD and was given the same message. Further down the road I used the Banco Santa Cruz machine and withdrew the funds I needed. However on withdrawing my money I noticed that my account balance had dropped drastically (by 13000 RD as it turned out!). When I asked Santa Cruz to run out a statement it showed the two failed transactions from the attempt I'd made to take money out at Scotiabank. They seemed unphased by it, said the cashpoint must be broken and filled out a form promising that the money would be back in my account shortly (still waiting for it to appear).

It would seem that this is a common occurence in DR. I just thought I'd warn people to look out for it as the banks aren't going to re-credit the money if you don't notice it's missing!

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Hmmm... I've used that Scotiabank cash machine in Sosua for the past few years and have never had a problem.
Are you sure it isn't a problem with you UK bank seeing how you have had the same problem at different atm's?
hifiman

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You are correct, Sharlene.
It seems to be all too frequent.
I recommend doing the transaction in the bank, during bank hours, if that's possible.
Too many people have been burned.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Not a problem with UK bank....

Hifiman
I think you must have misread my post. It's not a problem with my UK bank as I said my requested withdrawals at the Scotiabank ATM in Sosua were made using my Banco Santa Cruz Card (from my peso account based in Sosua). I know what you mean about the Scotiabank ATM in Sosua normally being reliable though; that's the reason I used it first.

Just thought I'd let you know that I checked today and the 13000 pesos that I didn't actually receive from Scotiabank ATM has been recredited to my Santa Cruz account. As I said, Santa Cruz seemed unphased by it and just said `oh the ATM must not be working properly' so the assumption is that it does happen frequently, from whatever ATM.

Rocky.
I take on board your comments (as always!) and will endeavour to go into the bank for my cash wherever possible.

americanized

Nov 17, 2004
same here

About a year ago the same thing happend to me in the capital. I tried withdrawing RD$5000 but the ATM gave me an error of some sort. When I got back to the States, I realized that transaction was posted as money dispensed. I called my bank and the money was refunded, after a month or so. This happened at a Banco Progreso branch.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
About a year ago the same thing happend to me in the capital. I tried withdrawing RD$5000 but the ATM gave me an error of some sort. When I got back to the States, I realized that transaction was posted as money dispensed. I called my bank and the money was refunded, after a month or so. This happened at a Banco Progreso branch.
It appears that one's home bank will be quite cooperative about correcting the error. (The DR banks will do nothing to assist, apart from telling you to contact your own bank)
The problem would be, if you don't notice, and don't make a claim.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
had my card swallowed in playa dorada at banco progresso machine.
went to my bank (popular)and 17 thousand rd had been "swiped" from my account.dident get refund.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
I've used all those machines in the past and never had a problem.. but I guess that was in the past. Scams happen at any time. They happen everywhere in the world too... But, I'd say using the machine during banking hours at an actual bank is sound advice.
: p.

B

batich

One scam to another!

From now I will be taking money from one ATM only and only in the morning M-F, and will verify my transaction on my laptop right away.

I never did like this before. I had a couple of times some doubts regarding some withdrawals in my statement but thought that it was due to my miscalculation.

For those who deny that there is a strong wave in crimes of all kinds in DR now - I do not agree with you!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For those who deny that there is a strong wave in crimes of all kinds in DR now - I do not agree with you!!
Harmony and balance...
To say there is no crime, would be false.
To say
there is a strong wave in crimes
would also be false.
The problem is that you just weren't aware of it before.
It's always been there.
The only real change I've seen in 15 years is that with the arrival of Crack on the scene, there is a greater likelyhood for violence.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Harmony and balance...
To say there is no crime, would be false.
To say "there is a strong wave in crimes" would also be false.
The problem is that you just weren't aware of it before.
It's always been there.
The only real change I've seen in 15 years is that with the arrival of Crack on the scene, there is a greater likelyhood for violence.

And, while agreeing with Rocky I'd like to add, because many tourists and prospective tourists read this board, the increase in crime still hasn't brought it up to the standards experienced in most areas of Europe and I'd guess, North America. There are different types of crime, so you need to be aware and keep your eyes open but if you are comfortable in London, Manchester, Lancaster, Preston etc you will be safer (from crime) in the Dominican Republic.

I have no doubt what so ever that I am at a far greater risk of being the victim of a road traffic accident while in the Dominican Republic than I am being the victim of crime and that the potential consequences are likely to be far greater in an RTA. It's not about being dismissive of crime but trying to put it into context rather than being frightened.