Cigarrete prices

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
...have just doubled overnight. Most brands appear to be between 80 and 90 R$ now incl ITBIS.

PS: just posting this for info purposes.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
...have just doubled overnight. Most brands appear to be between 80 and 90 R$ now incl ITBIS.

PS: just posting this for info purposes.

I woulden't say overnight .That has been the price in the SW since Mid Jan.You are talking about a pack of 20 not 10 Right??

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Yes, packs of 20. Odd, I bought them all over Santo Domingo for 40-50 R$ until 1-2 weeks ago... But I am sure you are right. I buy cartons so perhaps I was getting a discount

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Just after Jan 1 cartons of Marlboros went from 425 to 500 at Janet's in Cabarete, a few weeks later they went to 550...yesterday they were 700! That's only a couple of dollars less than in South Florida...and for the record, Presidente in now about twice the price as South Florida.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Cigarettes went up after January to 640 for a carton of Marlboro direct from Marlboro. last week they went up again to 740. We were selling them for 75 a packet in the colmado and we are npw up to 90. No idea why they went up twice, and Marlboro don't know either!

gini

Dec 12, 2005
Just after Jan 1 cartons of Marlboros went from 425 to 500 at Janet's in Cabarete, a few weeks later they went to 550...yesterday they were 700! That's only a couple of dollars less than in South Florida...and for the record, Presidente in now about twice the price as South Florida.

Did they go up also in airports duty free ? last october, they were 20US$/carton of 200.

And, off topic , but how much are Presidente (grande:classic: ) now in colmados and bars :rolleyes:

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
grandes.........

Did they go up also in airports duty free ? last october, they were 20US$/carton of 200.

And, off topic , but how much are Presidente (grande:classic: ) now in colmados and bars :rolleyes:
you can get them from 75rd to 80rd.
big bhrama you can still get at 50rd in "most"colmados.
severinos does great specials for the hard core homers sat-sun.(on bhrama).

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ok..the prices have jumped.....but can someone tell me how many cartons you are allowed to bring back to the US?

Even tho i have promised myself to quit after my trip....jejejej

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
From what I see on the sticker, the "impuesto ley" is still centavos. Taxation (like in US/Europe) doesn't seem to be the reason for the increase.

Perhaps some supply problems? I noticed that Newports are getting scarse in SD.

Officially I think most counties allow you to enter with 200 cigarettes... but.. I flew into Tampa, Miami, NY several times with up to 6 cartons = 1200. They never check my luggage after leaving a plane.

B

batich

From what I see on the sticker, the "impuesto ley" is still centavos. Taxation (like in US/Europe) doesn't seem to be the reason for the increase.

Perhaps some supply problems? I noticed that Newports are getting scarse in SD.

Officially I think most counties allow you to enter with 200 cigarettes... but.. I flew into Tampa, Miami, NY several times with up to 6 cartons = 1200. They never check my luggage after leaving a plane.

Is really any "REASON" necessary to increase prices??!

Why not just to "INCREASE" if you CAN increase??!

With so many new stupid ex-pats and tourists willing to pay whatever they are told, why not to double or triple the price?

Being a business owner in DR without any regulation nor anti-trust and anti-monopoly law I would do exactly the same.

With each new ex-pat/tourist coming to Sosua prices will jump higher and higher.
It is called "MARKET ECONOMY" - seller squeezes from buyer the absolute maximum that the buyer can phisically pay.
Without any relation to the actual value of the item being sold.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
With so many new stupid ex-pats and tourists willing to pay whatever they are told, why not to double or triple the price?

?????

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Great theory Batich, you already drove the price of a corkscrew up 100% in Playero.

t'

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Why not just to "INCREASE" if you CAN increase??!

I understand your point and "agree" thats the way wild west DR capitalism works. What I was wondering is if this is an intl tobacco industry thing (perhaps prices central america went up too?), or if it is (as usual) some dominican distributer who decided he needs a bigger villa then the one he already has in casa de campo. Like I said, gov taxation seems not to be the cause.

Unrelated but since it was mentioned earlier. There is very little left that is not on par or more expensive in the DR then in FL (Haitian labor is one). I wonder how long they will be able to keep this trend or if it is a bubble waiting to explode. The past 2-3 years things have been on a insane spiral, if it were to continue, by 2010, every DR shack should be valued like a Villa on St. Barts.

Cost of living, real estate etc. I know many see this from a Sosua gringo-factor perspective, but even living in SD I would go as far as saying that in theory, every Dominican home & Camry-owner in this city "could" just sell his stuff and move to a golf-course home in FL with jacuzzi & the works.