ATM fees charged by DR banks

C

Chip00

I have a Bank of America account and when I use the ATM's here the local banks, like BHD for instance charge me around US12 for each transaction. Bank of America doesn't charge me anything.

I would like to know if this has been others experience. I've checked other threads with similar subjects but they really don't answer the main question as to what the DR banks charge.

Thanks to all

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Man, 12 bucks seems high! I have BBT and Bank of America and I have not been charged more than 6 bucks at any given time.

B

batich

I remember some time ago in one thread I complained that I was charged $4 per transaction and some stupid soul claimed that it was all my imagination.

Listen! What are they doing?! One anti-tourist/expat rip-off to another.

If sooner or later we stop coming how they will survive?!

So stupid! Killing the only milking caw.

How many days are left before openning of Cuba I wonder??

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Why?

Why do you all use ATM cards?

Establish an account with one or more of the better Cambio Houses, then just write one of your American bank's checks.

The exchange rate is probably higher then what the bank gives you anyway.

Using ATM cards you get hit twice, once for the ATM fee and once for a lower exchange rate probably.

Just my 4 cents worth..... (2 cents + 2 cents).

Don - SantiagoDR

C

Chip00

Not long but god only knows what will happen there.
Prolly back to being america's lil b*itch again.

Yes, I can see the intelligence of that, Einstein! Castro has been so good to his people that they can't wait to get off of his island, their willing to put their lives at risk in a car that pretends to be a boat. BTW, that's all the cars are good for anyway - they've only been around for 50 years.

BTW prolly is spelled probably

B

batich

Why do you all use ATM cards?

Establish an account with one or more of the better Cambio Houses, then just write one of your American bank's checks.

The exchange rate is probably higher then what the bank gives you anyway.

Using ATM cards you get hit twice, once for the ATM fee and once for a lower exchange rate probably.

Just my 4 cents worth..... (2 cents + 2 cents).

Don - SantiagoDR

Do they really accept personal checks? I never considered this option but it seems very clever.

B

batich

Yes, I can see the intelligence of that, Einstein! Castro has been so good to his people that they can't wait to get off of his island, their willing to put their lives at risk in a car that pretends to be a boat. BTW, that's all the cars are good for anyway - they've only been around for 50 years.

BTW prolly is spelled probably

What are better cambio houses in Sosua?

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
History has a history of repeating itself I guess. Maybe, that's what I was eluding to. I guess we'll all hafta w8 and c now won't we?
BTW;
"their willing to put their lives at risk in a car that pretends to be a boat. "
"their" should be "they're" here, as in; "they are".
;)
: p.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Do they really accept personal checks? I never considered this option but it seems very clever.

I have been writing personal checks on my Bank of America account for years. It's so easy, I usually cash a check once a week or so. That way I only carry small amounts of money. I live in Santiago and I use Marco's and Taveras. Marco's usually gives me a little more than what is posted on the signs because even those I cash small amounts, they know I do that all year long, thus making me a good customer.

I never have to bring traveler checks or American money when I travel back and forth. I built my house and paid here by cashing U.S. bank checks. No worry about large sums of money laying around. No ATM or bank fees.

And with On-line banking, I know exactly how much I have left in the bank.

Don - SantiagoDR

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Chip,

I too have been writing a B of A check monthly for the past 9 years. The cambio establishment here in El Seybo accepts it with no hassle and he gives me a decent rate. It's nice not having to pay those transaction fees.

Rick

C

Chip00

Don and Rick - Thanks - I'm going to check with a local cambio down the street.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Is this thread a joke or something ?
With a normal debit card you are not charged anything by the local bank for using an ATM, no matter if you are in the DR or anywhere else in the world.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
With a normal debit card you are not charged anything by the local bank for using an ATM, no matter if you are in the DR or anywhere else in the world.

If I use a Chase ATM, I get charged $2 by Chase and $1.50 by B of A.
I get raped $5 by B of A PLUS 1% to use the card in a Dominican ATH.

Cashing a check is not such a bad option!

tambo'

C

Chip00

And what world might you be from? I recommend that you do a little bit more research before posting so that people will take you more serious.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If you have a normal debit card connected to the bank accept system, Visa, mastercard etc. You will only be charged by the bank where you have your account, you will never be charged anything by the other bank. If your bank charge you that much, you should change bank. I know USA is very long behind when it comes to effective electronic payments. In my home country, we stopped using checks about 25 years ago.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
If you have a normal debit card connected to the bank accept system, Visa, mastercard etc. You will only be charged by the bank where you have your account, you will never be charged anything by the other bank. If your bank charge you that much, you should change bank. I know USA is very long behind when it comes to effective electronic payments. In my home country, we stopped using checks about 25 years ago.

If I may ask Tor what is your bank?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

With a CHECK, we are not charged anything by any bank, and the exchange rate to pesos is usually higher then the rate given by the local bank.......

For instance:

What rate of exchange did the LOCAL bank give you for converting YOUR country's currency to DR pesos, and what rate did YOUR bank charge you when they converted the charge from the LOCAL bank back to YOUR country's currency?

In the past I have used a normal debit card, and got hit by both banks on the exchange rate.

You may be right about the local bank not charging anything, that is if you don't take into account the LOWER exchange rate......... Taking money from my pocket is still charging me, no matter how or what you call it.

Currency exchange is a business, it is not done for free.........

Don - SantiagoDR