anyone knows how to make pico pollo?

A

apostropheman

google says:
Pica pollo (Breaded deep fried chicken) - Dominican Cooking
Time: 40 Mins
Difficulty: Medium
Serve: 4 people

Before starting to cook: Cut the chicken in small pieces.

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs of chicken
  • 2 lemons cut into halves
  • 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
  • 1 small red onion chopped into small cubes
  • 2 cups of oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon of mashed garlic
  • 1 cup of all purpose wheat flour
  • Salt
Preparation:
  1. In a pot boil the chicken, onion, parsley, a pinch of salt and garlic until the chicken is tender but firm. Adjust salt to taste. Take the chicken out of the water and reserve. Mix 1 teaspoon of salt with the flour. In a pot heat the oil. Cover the meat pieces in the flour and deep-fry until golden brown. Put on a paper towel for 1 minute.
  2. Serve with tostones and ketchup.
Aunt Clara's is the BEST!;):bunny::bunny:

jenfau

Jul 8, 2006
So good !!!!When you watch them make it on the streets you wonder how could you eat it but it is my favorite.

jenfau

Jul 8, 2006
They showed me by taking chopped up chicken(raw not boiled)and rolled it in a floured mixture with spices(not totally sure what spices) and then they threw it into a big boiling tin can of cooking oil.So unsafe but so danm good.There are probably lots of variation but this is my favorite.Maybe using the same cooking oil over and over over gives it that extra flavor!!

C

Chip00

They showed me by taking chopped up chicken(raw not boiled)and rolled it in a floured mixture with spices(not totally sure what spices) and then they threw it into a big boiling tin can of cooking oil.So unsafe but so danm good.There are probably lots of variation but this is my favorite.Maybe using the same cooking oil over and over over gives it that extra flavor!!

The spices people typically use here for just about every dish are:

mashed garlic
sason (powdered seasoning)
salt
parsley or cilantro
chopped up onions
sopita(boullion cube)

So if your counting that's three things alone that have salt! Nonetheless they do it so that it isn't too salty. Also, when you're traveling in the states pay attention to the taste of the rice and beans - if they are really tasty more than likely the cook is Dominican - if not they're probably from PR or Cuba.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I love this stuff. Why is it that the best tasting chicken seems to come from the cheapest restaurants?

But ya can't beat a homemade RD meal anyway - mmmm

gini

Dec 12, 2005
Just a detail, but is this pica pollo or pico pollo :rolleyes: or it depends on the sex of the chicken :cheeky:

Sorry, I go out :tired:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Pico y Pala

pico (de) pollo - chicken beak :)

Actually, the cheapest cut of chicken you can get is "pico y pala", which includes the feet and beak. It is a favorite among very poor Dominicans. It is typically made as a "locrio" (with rice).