Calling and texting between England and The DomRep

Thegirlnextdoor

Feb 22, 2007
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I have no clue where to put it :(

I was just wondering, do all DomRep cells accept international text? and can they reply to the said texts?

Thankyou to anyone who replies:)

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I send and recieve texts all the time from my bf in DR. I am in UK and it costs me about 12p to send a text. I thought it only works if they have an English phone....but my bf had to get a DR phone and the texts still work ok. You will have to try it and see really.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it never worked for me. no textinh minovio from english or polis mobile. and i could not receive texts either.
as from here - when i try to text from my english phone i get charged but no texts ever arrive anywhere.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I wonder why that is....I dont think I have ever not recieved a text. A few have been delayed slightly, but they always eventually get here. I think it is much cheaper to just call (with a phone card!) Made the mistake of calling from a mobile the other day without a phone card. ?1.40 a minute!!! Nearly cried when I realised what I had done. Oops!!

Thegirlnextdoor

Feb 22, 2007
I've sent a whole bunch of normal texts and picture messages and he hasnt recieved ANY of them but Ive been charged...I'm with three, so I went and asked at the shop and they said it was probablly coz I had a rubbish phone, which I do, it is so old.
But I am planning on getting a new one but before I get one specifically to text The DomRep and to use over there, I wanted to make sure it doesnt matter what kind of cell he has or which carrier he is with.
SO COMPLICATED!!! :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
once i called minovio after coming back from a party, was trying to cennect via card, had problems, finally the call went through and about an hour later i came to the conclusion it went through the landline, not the card.
the bill? 45 quid.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
You think ?45 is bad??? Im looking at about ?70 I think!! Im not even going to start on my phone bill from the 3 weeks I was there last year. Lets just say I should have shares in o2....and the pigs wont let me have a new phone for being an excellent customer!! Buying a Dominican sim card was the best thing I ever did. Talk about saving millions!!!
I get a brill phone card....think it works out about 4p a min!!! It really is good to talk at that price.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005

Uk Orange to DR Orange always worked for us (works other way too)

Hope that helps

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
PabloPaul,
Talk me through it like I am an idiot...how exactly does skype work? I mean, you download the program and then all calls are free anywhere in the world??? Wheres the catch??? Surely you must have to pay something somewhere. Can you explain it to me a bit more please.

Thegirlnextdoor

Feb 22, 2007
Uk Orange to DR Orange always worked for us (works other way too)

Hope that helps

Yea my bf has an orange phone, so I figured maybe if I switched to UK orange that would possibly work!
It also seems allot of people are recommending Tmobile for sending texts.
I hate how many different things there are to take in to account to exchange one measley text.

So I am I right in assuming it mainly depends on things my end and all DomRep cells will accept an international text?!

In regards to DomRep sims I was thinking about those before, can I buy one from over here? And can you use the sim over here or only when youre over there? Also can you use it with any cell?

I am dreading my phone bill, I'm a live in nanny and my employers got my own landline put in, so I don't usually see the bill, they just pay it, but I figure my calls in the last few weeks are gonna total over ?100, I think they're gonna pass out when they see that :(

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
I wish I could tell you more but I have never used it....I have been called from it but that's about it.. It's Voice Over Internet Protocol like Vonage has and works over the internet. Wish I could tell you more but if you read up on both companies I'm sure you could find out more.
: p.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Skype is free from computer to computer, and you really need to have a DSL (broadband) connection for it to work.

If the person you're calling hasn't got a computer or an internet connection, you can opt for SkypeOut, where you pre-pay a small amount, say ?10, and then you call normal phones from your computer - for next to nothing.

Ask around and get someone who uses Skype to give you a demo.

Trust me and the 5,439,658 other Skype users currently online - we can't all be wrong! :)

Edited to add - I'd be interested in finding out how to text, too.

Last edited:

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
So I am I right in assuming it mainly depends on things my end and all DomRep cells will accept an international text?!

In regards to DomRep sims I was thinking about those before, can I buy one from over here? And can you use the sim over here or only when youre over there? Also can you use it with any cell?

You can't by a DR sim here and anyway you wouldn't save anything by doing that as they would charge you the 'international rate' if you used it in the UK, you couldn't buy top ups either as DR & UK Orange are different companies I was told. However, the text will definately work, but I can't say photo messenging will, not sure if that is possible, It wasn't when we last tried all that, but you can send them to email addresses from your phone? Plenty of internet cafes around in DR.

You can purchase a DR sim in the DR and use it out there in your phone, you can get your phone unlocked out there for next to nothing in a orange shop, that will save you loads on your next holiday!

Good luck hope you get it sorted:)

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
I've never experienced sending messages to DR to Orange or Verizon. I've sent them from Tmobile and vodaphone just not picture messages like Saskia said. It could be your network, girlnextdoor.
Also, IDT's Easy is a good phone card to use. I pay ?3 for a ?5 card and I get 60 mins with a really clear line. I don't know where you are but in certain parts of London you can get these just about everywhere. All the other phonecards I've used are a bit hit and miss, there's no guarantee that you'll get a good connection.
Anyways, hope that helps a bit.