baby food and supplies

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Just wondering about purchasing infant formula and baby food near carabela resort. Is it expesive or should I drag baby food with me on my flight. Im coming from NYC

Feb 7, 2007
Hey, my daughter is just 2 weeks old and drinking lots of leche (being said about her "comiendo como su pa'i"), so I am new to this... ;);) but got some info for you:

There is a baby-formula I heck don't know the name, it is the only one sold in the country for newborns. You can ask about the "leche para recien nacidos". I never bought it in Bavaro, but it is sold in supermarkets and big colmados, maybe even in pharmacies.
IF it is sold in bavaro, your most likely bet would be the supermarket in the Cortecito or the supermarket in one of those plazas midway between Plaza Bavaro and Friusa. Don't know the name of the plaza, but there is only 1 supermarket. Costs 600 pesos for a pack of 16 8oz bottles.

If your child is not a newborn, you can buy "leche en polvo", there are many brands and formulas, Milex is the most popular, there are some that are more expensive but have more vitamins and stuff, just look on the back side of the can for the ingredients, etc. dependning on the size of can, prices go from 150 to 1000 pesos. Sold in every supermarket or colmado.

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
Just wondering about purchasing infant formula and baby food near carabela resort. Is it expesive or should I drag baby food with me on my flight. Im coming from NYC

How old is your little one? Which brand of formula do you give your baby? You'd do well to find out for sure if you can get it over here. Changing formula can upset their digestive system. I brought formula with me but ran out and had to use another brand. I thought it would be okay as it was follow-on milk but it really wasn't and my daughter ended up with a bad stomach babies. I brought my daughter over with me when she was 6mths so we'd just started weaning her. I found that alot of the baby food jars I came across in the supermarkets had sugar in them. I'm a bit uptight about giving my daughter sugar but if you're a bit more relaxed about it then you can buy that sort of thing here. I'm not too sure about the availability in the area you'll be staying in though. As we were just trying her out with different taste, I would mash up bananas, papayas, batata etc instead of buying food plus the fresh stuff is so much nicer anyway.