Excursion Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedtrix

Feb 26, 2007
What's on your "must do" list for Puerto Plata and surrounding areas?

Also, which excursions/tours would you recommend (my husband & I are in our late 20s, both of us are pretty adventurous) -

1. Cayo Levantado vs. Paradise Island
2. Monster Safari vs. Jungle Safari
3. Santo Domingo tour and Puerto Plata tour vs. hiring a taxi for 8 hours for our own trip to Santo Domingo/Puerto Plata/Playa Dorada/Cabrete (we'll be staying in the Puerto Plata area).

Any recommendation for Amber and Larimar shops? What are the average prices for simple settings (i.e. earrings and rings)?

Thanks! :classic:

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Just came back from 9 days and had a blast.

We hired Isaira to take us on on all day tour to PP, Sosua, Cabarete and more. We were able to make our own itinerary for our tour.

We also hired the same company to take 7 of us out for the day 10-4 for a total of $35 and I highly recommend Martin and his wonderful staff (I contacted them thru positive reviews and recommendations here and on other DR forums)

We found that the jewlery store they take you to on ANY of the tours (jungle, moster, PP tour) are more expensive than the small stores you find in Cabarete and Sosua. I paid $45 for a Happy hour ring in the jewlery store on our tour and 2 days later found the same rings for $15-$20 at the resort and in Cabarete.

Nice sterling band and HH rings found in Cabarete for $15-$25 with stones of Larimar, Amber, coral and conch (they were beautiful).

We purchased some huge larimar settings right at our resort for more reasonable prices than I could have gotten off of the resort.

have a great trip

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i believe Santo Domingo is about 4 hours or so from Puerto Plata. i also heard the Paradise Island tour is about 2-3 hours each way.

Status
Not open for further replies.