Just to say Hi

whizzymaz

Jan 14, 2007
Hi all

Just to say Hello. We are couple from the UK and have just purchased an apartment in Sosua - not ready until around May (ish) and have been reading all your comments regarding where to buy furniture. Is it true that there is going to be an Ikea in Santo Domingo?

Whizzymaz

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
if you got to craigslist NY and go to the free stuff you will find tons of IKEA free, available on the curbs of the streets of NY.........people throw it out.......it is far more fun to get dominican made furniture. there is some excellent quality available at reasonable cost..............the problem arises when new homeowners want to fill a space, they want it done in a day. in SDQ it took me three months......you have to shop till you drop and then do it again.........prices can change in a day,,,,,,,there are deals to be had............i wound up buying from 22 different stores and a guy on the street carrying a dresser. don't buy anything until you've checked out a bunch of stores.........what i thought was going to be fun turned out to be a job because i hurried.........i know some places better than the employees.....appliances are the real tough part. expensive, poor quality, compared to the US...........ship those if you can, but appliances here run on 110 volts AC so european stuff is out.................starting from scratch is tough because all the little things that one takes for granted have to be bought new, a screwdriver, roll of tape, scissors, thumbtacks, candles, matches, light bulbs, pens & pencils, batteries, hammer, string............the little things that we all have in a drawer somewhere, and take for granted, add up. good luck, it is a journey not a destination, take your time...............

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to DR1 and Sosua. My wife and I have been living in Sosua for 7 years. If we can help you in any way, let us know.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot will depend on your taste in furniture.
There are several very, very good places to purchase rattan furniture. This is airy, light weight furniture very adaptabel to the tropics.

There are also custom furniture makers that can whip ou up a dining room set for a few thousand dollars....like anywhere, you do get what you pay for.
Ken and Barbara and Rocky can set you on the right road...

Welcome to the DR! Do you play bridge? Do you play golf>??

HB

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Just to Say Hi!

A question also, what about small appliances??? Toaster, etc. We should be arriving in another couple of weeks (finally) and I know we will take some time to research and buy the major stuff, but unsure what to bring, besides sheets and towels.... Have much to learn and I keep reading threads and have been thankful for all the imput from residents. We will be in the Sosua area. I am also so excited that I can hardly stand it!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Hope To See You At ROCKY's For Coffee!

Altho I live in Santo Domingo,I love Sosua!
You sound like nice people! Hope to see you next time I get "Up North"!
Take everything slow and easy!
Ask on DR1 before you spend a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$ on Anything! We have all been "Newbies" and made too many costly mistakes. Let the people here help you!
Cris Colon

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Welcome to the North Coast

We moved last year and DR 1 searches were immensely helpful. Feel free to PM with any questions