View Poll Results: Is machismo good for development in the DR?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 6.06%
  • No

    26 78.79%
  • Not Sure

    5 15.15%
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Machismo and development

  1. #1
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Machismo and development

    Is machismo good for development in the DR?

    A) Yes
    B) No
    C) Not sure

    -NALs

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    21,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Yes!

    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

    And what a great question!

  3. #3
    Doctor of Diplomacy
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What an outrageous question...you must be bored.

    Why not ask:

    1) Is inequality good for societal advancement?
    2) Should slavery be reinstituted?
    3) Isn't it great to neglect and abuse 50% of your population?

    In my limited experience in the DR, I have found the women to be much more progressive and enlightened than the perpetually immature and maternally dependent men.

    Scandall

  4. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scandall View Post

    In my limited experience in the DR, I have found the women to be much more progressive and enlightened than the perpetually immature and maternally dependent men.

    Scandall
    University enrollments show that very well..

  5. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the following question just banged by head:

    There're more women than man in the world and even most contry (the United State among them ..heck, more women than man vote ..the difference is about 10 million more women going to the polls here in the U.S.), ...so should man as a group be considered the TRUE minority and not the other way around? ::smile::
    Last edited by aegap; 02-26-2007 at 06:53 PM.

  6. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=aegap;494784]the following question just banged by head:

    There're more women than man in the world and even most contry (the United State among them ..heck, more women than man vote ..the difference is about 10 million more women going to the polls here in the U.S.), ...so should man as a group be considered the TRUE minority and not the other way around? ::smile::[/QUOTE/]



    Si, By Golly!!!!

    And to answer the poll question.

    NO!! Machismo stands in the way of basic honesty and integrity. Men MUST realize that they are NOT always RIGHT and INFALLABLE.

    However, in order to become a TRUE "TIGRE" you must have an overabundance of MACHISMO!


    Texas Bill

  7. #7
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aegap View Post
    the following question just banged by head:

    There're more women than man in the world and even most contry (the United State among them ..heck, more women than man vote ..the difference is about 10 million more women going to the polls here in the U.S.), ...so should man as a group be considered the TRUE minority and not the other way around? ::smile::
    Minority: A group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society.
    Click here for source

    What good is being more numerous if you don't have control, power, or influence? What good is being a numerical majority when you have to ask for permission from a strong numerical minority? Why call a numerical majority such when they are not in control?

    Defining someone as minority is not solely on the basis of numbers. It's always on the basis of power. The assumption that higher numbers equals more power does not always holds true and for that reason women are considered minorities, despite outnumbering men.

    Historically, women outnumber men but they (to put it bluntly) had to always ask for permission from the very same men they numerically outnumbered.

    -NALs

  8. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Minority: A group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society.
    Click here for source

    What good is being more numerous if you don't have control, power, or influence? What good is being a numerical majority when you have to ask for permission from a strong numerical minority? Why call a numerical majority such when they are not in control?

    Defining someone as minority is not solely on the basis of numbers. It's always on the basis of power. The assumption that higher numbers equals more power does not always holds true and for that reason women are considered minorities, despite outnumbering men.

    Historically, women outnumber men but they (to put it bluntly) had to always ask for permission from the very same men they numerically outnumbered.

    -NALs
    Such as the majority of the (Dominican and other) populations with relation to the political parties and others in the government?
    Nals, you have just described (Dominican and other) Societies for the past 5500 years, more or less.

    Care to elaborate further???

    Texas Bill

  9. #9
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Bill View Post
    Such as the majority of the (Dominican and other) populations with relation to the political parties and others in the government?
    Nals, you have just described (Dominican and other) Societies for the past 5500 years, more or less.

    Care to elaborate further???

    Texas Bill
    Not in this thread since the topic here is about machismo and whether or not people think machismo is good or bad for development.

    But, if you want to debate the sub-topic of majority/minority relations, then by all means start a thread in the debates forum and I'll follow you there.

    -NALs

  10. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Not in this thread since the topic here is about machismo and whether or not people think machismo is good or bad for development.

    But, if you want to debate the sub-topic of majority/minority relations, then by all means start a thread in the debates forum and I'll follow you there.

    -NALs
    Not right now, old buddy.
    I'm in the middle of computing my annual contribution to the Infernal Retribution Society and have mi mind full of vitriolic statements for them. Don't want that to leak over to any debate with
    anyone...

    Later, however ?????

    Texas Bill

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •