He Got The Call!!

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Just wanted to say that my husband, Oscar, got his interview date: September 20, 2006 at 1:00pm in Santo Domingo!!!!

The immigration process has led me to this forum due to my never-ending search for information on how to get my husband here (Canada). I must say, I don't know what would of happened if it was not for this forum. I have been helped in the most generous ways and recieved many ideas along the way.

To those who are waiting, this has been our timeline this far:

Oct. 12, 2005 We got married.
Dec. 21, 2005 Oscar and Jenni (daughter) had their medicals done.
Feb. 28, 2006 Mississauga recieved our immigration application (Sponsor and Applicant, Part A,B,C, and Fees)
April 5, 2006 I was approved as a sponsor and they sent me a letter. They sent the application to the Canadian Embassy in Haiti
May 15, 2006 Haiti started processing our application
June 15, 2006 Changed Jenni to an accompanying dependent from non-accompanying because Oscar and I thought it would be better and easier. They sent us a letter of confirmation.
Aug. 18, 2006 Jenni's mom changed her mind about sending her to Canada--TROUBLE
Aug. 26, 2006 Myself and some awesome translater called Jenni's mom
Aug. 27, 2006 Jenni's mom changed back her mind to let Jenni go to Canada
Sept. 6, 2006 Oscar faxed Jenni's passport to Haiti
Sept. 11, 2006 (papers in Haiti 3mths, 27days) 3:20pm Oscar recieves a call from immigration telling him he has his interview Sept. 20, 2006 at 1:00pm.
Sept. 12, 2006 Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo calls Oscar to confirm the interview date and ask him to bring their birth certificates, passports, letter from Jenni's mom, and a photo of him and I together.

To Be Continued...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thank you so much for posting the timeline and the best of luck to your hubby. ;)

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Hey Kimmy-
Thank you soo much for the time line. I'm going NUTS!!!! :nervous:
If your timeline will be similiar to mine, hopefully Orlando will receive a phone call Oct 4th.
FINGERS CROSSED and MANY PRAYERS ARE BEING SAID!!!!!!!!!!
But this gives me hope! Muchas Gracias!

lisa

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
This is great news

Thank you for sharing this timeline. I hope the interview is sucessful. Keep us up to date please!

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
thanks

Thanks everyone! I am soooo excited that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Lisa, I know the feeling that it could be any day, but WHEN!!!! When Oscar called me I thought something was wrong cause he called me late at night (11:55pm) when I was sleeping AND then the next day. He never calls cause I get more minutes if I call him. I got tears in my eyes and a huge feeling of relief! Don't worry, soon you will get the call! Hang in there!

I'll keep ya posted!

Kim

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Any news???

Been thinking of you all day. Have you heard from Oscar yet? If so, how did the interview go? Feel free to post a list of questions Immigration Canada asked him, in order to help others (ex: baileyboy's husband) prepare for the interview. I've got a bit of an agenda ;) .

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Yes Kimmy girl, need to know that info!
Thanks Trina for thinking of me! ;)

Orlando knows everything about me, but I'm still testing him every second I can get....
What date we met,
what date we got engaged,
how and where we got engaged
when we got married, who was there
My birthday,
how many siblings I have, how old they are
Where my mom and Dad live,(trick question)
date of when my father passed away
My address
Where I work
name 3 of my friends here in Cda

But Kimmygirl please please post the questions they asked Oscar. Look forward to hearing from you!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A moment of levity ... long time ago when my husband was petitioning for us to become American residents, they asked my daugher (then 9 years old)... What is your Mother's name?. My daugher kicked the chair a few times, sucked on her ponytail and said: "I don't know!" I call her Mom, other people call her Chris or some stupid name like that. But I call her Mom!"

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Update

Sorry to not update yesterday as I was busy last night.

I talked to Oscar last night and he said "Oh my god baby, they ask too many questions!" He said that the interview was 50 minutes long.

Baileyboy, you got it! That was exactly what I did to Oscar. Most of the questions you mentioned were the main ones.

Oscar said that the interview started out with the lady straight up explaining what others have and do to Canadian women (Sankie). From what I understand she then asked a lot of the typical questions: where did you meet, how often do I visit, where did you stay, where do we go for a romantic dinner (??), how often do you talk, where do I work and the name, what are you going to do when you come to Canada, where are you going to work, ect. They also talked about the money stuff: who bought the rings (I gave Oscar a band with diamonds as an engagement ring to him), and does your wife give you any money. She also talked about bringing his daughter here and what would we do if I was working and he was working. He said that we would pay somebody to babysit, GOOD ANSWER! Then Oscar said that she asked a bunch of question about the present: where do you work and what do you do there, where do you live, how did you learn english, ect. He said the interview started in Spanish and then half way turned to English. Also, the computer/internet seemed to be down so she asked him if I paid all the fees, he said he thought so but was not 100% sure so now I think I have to send an e-mail verifying that I paid.

The little-bit bad part of the interview: when Oscar got the call, he was asked to bring their passports, their birth certificates, a letter from his daughter mom, and a photo of us together. The problem is that the birth certificate he took them was not the correct one. I guess there is a birth certificate that you can get in the DR that is good for the DR and expires in 30days. There is another one that is the true original and is small like ours in Canada. The lady said that it is necessary for the small one for the immigration people in Canada. The second problem is that the letter from Jenni's mom stating that it is ok for her to come to Canada needs to be certified/legalized by some type of judge (maybe a lawyer-Oscar did not know the translation in English). The lady said that he has 4months to produce the birth certificates and the letter but if he has them tomorrow to bring them ASAP.

Oscar said that the interview lady was Canadian or seemed so. She kept the passports so I am assuming that is a good thing. Oscar said that the lady said that everything was good and will be complete when he takes the birth certificates and letter. She also gave all the pictures I sent to them-YIPPI! and said that she had to much stuff in the file. He also said that he had a good feeling coming out of the interview.

Oscar told me that he will most likely have the birth certificates and letter to the embassy on Monday, (or maybe I told him, hehe!)

I will keep in touch!

Kim

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
interviews

HI there

I thought Canada was trying to waive as many interviews as possible. DO you know if all or most dominican spouse have to go for an interview?

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
when Oscar got the call, he was asked to bring their passports, their birth certificates, a letter from his daughter mom, and a photo of us together. The problem is that the birth certificate he took them was not the correct one. I guess there is a birth certificate that you can get in the DR that is good for the DR and expires in 30days. There is another one that is the true original and is small like ours in Canada. The lady said that it is necessary for the small one for the immigration people in Canada.

Hi Kimmygirl, thank you thank you thank you, so much. After reading your post, got right on the phone and called Orlando. I had told him that I was waiting your reply with the types of questions! So we had a "test" this morning.;)

About the birthcertificate. Why the DR has about 12 different types I have no idea! I photocopied all my documents, and I have a birthcertificate that is on a legal size paper for him.....HOWEVER I also have another copy of a birthcertificate that is just a regular 8 x11 size paper. And Orlando has the super small one that fits in his wallet.

That being said, I have the ORIGINAL of the 8 x11 birthcertificate here in Cda with me. I only have the photocopy of the legal size one....Orlando says he has the original one of that...(I hope its the right one) I can't remember if I sent the original one in, having a senior moment!;) I don't think I did b/c it said not to send in originals...but I have no idea anymore....

Is it the legal size one that Immigration in Sto Domingo wants for the interview? Do you know? Thanks

Lisa

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Birth certificate

baileyboy;438807Is it the legal size one that Immigration in Sto Domingo wants for the interview? Do you know? Thanks Lisa[/QUOTE said:
Oscar took the legal paper size one and he said that it was only good for 30 days. They said that they wanted the "original" small one, assuming the same like ours in Canada. The immigration officer said that the one he brought was good for Dominican but not good for Canada immigration (assuming airport security and getting Canadian documents...health card or SIN #).

I called the CIC call center this morning to ask them if I had to send the e-mail stating that I paid all fees and they said yes if they asked for it. They also said that it could have been a little test. Maybe send the receipt number (if you already paid) with your honey just in case.

Kim

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
She kept the passports so I am assuming that is a good thing.
Keeping the passports sounds very positive.

BTW, why didn't you go on the interview with him. When I went through this process many years ago, I was advised that it would be viewed positively to go on the interview with my fianc?e.

I should never have taken that advice. :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Keeping the passports sounds very positive.

BTW, why didn't you go on the interview with him. When I went through this process many years ago, I was advised that it would be viewed positively to go on the interview with my fianc?e.

I should never have taken that advice. :)

This isn't her fianc?e it's her husband and if they only need to interview him and she has to wait outside why spend the money?

For Canadian sponsorship the sponsor gets approved before the papers go to Haiti ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
HI there

I thought Canada was trying to waive as many interviews as possible. DO you know if all or most dominican spouse have to go for an interview?

Isabelle I'll take a wild guess at your question but from what I've read there is no set rule about the interview, some do , some don't get one. I think it depends on the application and what they need to follow up on.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
haiti? what does haiti has to do with sto domingo and canadian consulate?

Papers for immigrating to Canada go to the Canadian Consulate in Haiti for processing and interviews are done in Santo Domingo.

Is this right girls?

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
Thanks AnnaC. Baileyboy and Kimmygirl do you have any information about how they assign interviews?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I was asking Angel last night if he remembered what questions they asked him at his interview (about 6 years ago, so his memory of it was a little foggy). These are what he remembered:

How long have you known each other?
How long did you live together?
How many times has your wife visited?
How do you communicate?
When is Trina's birthday?
What are Trina's parent's names?
How many are in Trina's family?
What will you do [for work] when you go to Canada?
Do you have any relatives in Canada?
Do you want to live in Canada? Why?

The whole interview was done in Spanish, he was given the choice of Spanish or English.

PS
Congrats, Kim. Sorry I missed your call last night!