Good stuff to have at home

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here are some Grandmotherly solutions for everyday issues.

Some of these I have tried, and they work.

GRANDMA'S CURES Keep This Handy On The Fridge

-Did You Know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately--
without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

-Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.

-Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

-Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

also folks...honey is the only food in the world that will NEVER go bad...and for the above remedy...the horseradish opens the pores to your skin, thus allowing the OIL to relieve the ache...notice its O I L....as I've told you????

-Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

-Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer.
Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urin ary tract infections almost instantly-- even though the product was never advertised for this use.

-Honey remedy for skin blemishes ...
Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

-Listerine therapy for toenail fungus. Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

-Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screw s before tightening them.

-Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer .. If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409.
Insects drop to the ground instantly.

-Smart splinter remover ...just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

-Hunt's tomato paste boil cure ...cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

-Balm for broken blisters... To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine ...a powerful antiseptic.

-Vinegar to heal bruises ... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

-Kills fleas instantly...Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughl y. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Good-bye fleas.

-Rainy day cure for dog odor ...Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal
with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

-Eliminate ear mites ...All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear...Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

-Quaker Oats for fast pain relief... It's not for breakfast any more! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly,
and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

I do hope thay help a few of you...

HB

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Thanks HB, I've tried a few of those but there are some new ones there for me :) My Mom always used to put vinegar on me when I had a bruise lol that one brought back memories, I hated the smell! lol

C

Chip00

-Did You Know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately--
without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

HB - Great stuff!

I'm going out tonight to pick up some gatorade for the pregnant wife who is in the first trimester and is getting a lot of headaches.

Chip

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
also folks...honey is the only food in the world that will NEVER go bad...

just to clear that up - honey DOUES go off as any proper bee-keeper will tell you. family friends keep bees and after giving me the fresh FIRT crop in the glass jar they told me not to put the lid on as honey may get sour...
guess one does not encounter this problem with mass produced stuff, but none the less.

the vinegar stuff i want to try myself, i bruise easily...

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
vinegar........

forgot your mozzie spray?nip into the nearest colmado and buy some vinegar.
splash it on all over.they do not like that.
i do.and drink apple cider vinegar two table spoons a day mixed with a little warm water to strenghten and clense the heart as its full of potassium,essential to a healthy,aahhhhhhhhh:dead:

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Sticky Material?

HB,

These Granny cures are terrific! Knew about a few, but most are new to me. By the way, if you add a little honey to the apple cider vinegar and water, it's an even better daily tonic.

If you don't care for the smell of vinegar, use Witch Hazel with a compress. Does the same thing for bruises and smells a little different. Years ago, after turning a couple of friends from the Miami Dolphins on to this, the sales in south Florida increased substantially. Also works great on "Hickies", just wet a band-aid and stick it on overnight. Remember those? Not sure if it would work with mozzies.

Not a cure, but ketchup and salt mixed together then rubbed on brass or copper with a soft cloth cleans tarnish. Rinse with clear water and dry with a cloth.

What?s Te de Sen?

Anyone have any other cures or tips? This would be a good ?Sticky? don?t ya? think?

Dianne

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
Here are some Grandmotherly solutions for everyday issues.

-Listerine therapy for toenail fungus. Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

HB

Another easy cure for toenail fungus is Oregano oil. Apply it directly to the nail on a daily basis until the nail starts to grow in clear again.

Slow drains? Baking soda and vinegar make a great drain cleaner that's environmentally friendly, easy on the pipes, and cheap too. Pour about two tablespoons of baking soda down the drain, then follow with an equal amount of vinegar. Let it sit for an hour and then flush it through with hot water for a minute or so. Works like a treat!

Vinegar is a good room deodorant too. Place a few shallow saucers of vinegar around the room and it will eliminate the odors from cooking or smoking.

C

Chip00

Local sleeping/stress reducing aid

I've got this great remedy using only local products that work great for stress and as a sleeping aid!

First go to your local colmado and ask for "dos frias". Next hurry up and get home, find a comy chair and something good on the tube and drink the "remedies" being careful to net let them get warm!

Enjoy!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006

All this great info should surely be a Sticky............digame Beto.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I had toenail fungus on my big toes for years, someone suggested using Vicks VapoRub.
Three months later the old nails fell off and new healthy nails grew in.

Also if you have heartburn, take a tablespoon full of apple cider vinegar.

Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the best holistic remedies available today for many things too numerous to list here, this is a link you might find interesting.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR CURES

Mosquito insect repellent, Rub on pure vanilla extract and those pests will stay at bay

Speaking of toothpaste, if you are tired of steamed up bathroom mirrors, just wipe some toothpaste on and then wipe off. no more fogged mirrors.

Problem with ants in the kitchen? Get hold of a roll of pennies and spread them around the counter. For some reason the ants do not like the copper.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
How can I forget one of the best burn treatments available.
Aloe Vera plant!
Just cut off a piece and smear the goo on the burn, relives pain fast and aids in healing.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
HB, this remedy cures them all: if Mama ain't happy, nobody is happy. So, keep Mama happy and everything else will be just fine.. I keep my Mama happy and I just ' saco la mano y ahi 'ta'.

zeus (primus horny)...