Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Thief in the Night

Yep, we were hit last night by a particularly nimble ( and very thin) thief who got up onto our fourth floor balcony by entering the building (I know, poor security here) squeezing through an impossibly small crevice (made so in order prevent just this sort ofthing happening), swinging round to our balcony (the only one without bars -- I have complained several times to the owner of the apt), and taking advantage of the fact that for once our balcony doors were open. I had been up late writing, but knocked off about 2:30am. I think he entered some time around four. He got my laptop, which was right at the side of my bed, and my cell phone. Nothing more and no one was hurt, thank god. I woke suddenly around 4 45 because of a weird light, so it is possible that in fact he may have exited swiftly just before then and caused the desktop monitor to become lit somehow. Dont know.

called the police, they sent a patrol, they patrolled. A waste of time. OVerall my fault partly for letting down my guard.

lesson learned. word to the wise.

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Holly crap. Sorry to hear that man. That will put you back a few grand easily! And I won't even mention all the valuable things you had in that laptop. Que pena!!!

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Very unfortunate! I hope your description of the robbery encourages others to review their security systems and installations. The fact that the thief broke through "impossible small crevices" suggest that a small child was used or a particularly undernourished seven or eight-year old, working in pair with an adult, who waited outside. For those of you who own a firearm, I would be a tragedy to shoot in the dark an unarmed child, which are increasingly being used for these types of burglaries...

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Mirador.

You and others might think what I'm about to say is funny but I've always said to myself that if I ever get to live in the DR I'm buying night vision goggles to keep next to my bed near my 9MM. I guess it will be an advantage over a thief to be able to see in the night.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

damn thats a quiet and nimble skinny theif.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Tigre View Post
    Mirador.

You and others might think what I'm about to say is funny but I've always said to myself that if I ever get to live in the DR I'm buying night vision goggles to keep next to my bed near my 9MM. I guess it will be an advantage over a thief to be able to see in the night.
    Tigere, I own a pair myself, except I find them impractical to use, unless it's for checking strange rustlings in the bushes, which always turns out to be an errant cow, or goat.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

i think i would consider claymore mines near my doors and windows....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think claymores would be more useful than the 9MM. You'd have to hear the ladron to use the 9MM. If you don't know that he's there he could steal it and or use it against you!!!

apostropheman

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    i think i would consider claymore mines near my doors and windows....
    ...as long as they are facing outwards

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

MIrador is right, I suspect the thief was a probably a skinny teen in league with an adult. The crevice is so tight that only a very small person could get through -- I am small and I cannot even get my head through there. But we found evidence that confirms this was in fact the means of entrance.

I will tell you another thing -- though I wouldnt tell anyone not to have a gun, in this case it would not have made a bit of difference. And if a gun had been found while I was sleeping? dont get me wrong, I am not anti-gun, I grew up around them. But they can give you a false sense of security too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast