How much vacation time do we give our maid?

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
We have employed our maid since October last year. She has not asked for anytime off for holiday. (We gave her time off for xmas/new year/independence)

I have no idea what the expected time off is here and would appreciate any advice. Usually would they chose when they have time off or would it be acceptable to ask them to take time off when convenient to us?

I am very happy with our maid so would like to make sure I am treating her well, I am afraid my Spanish is not too good yet so I have trouble communicating anything too complicated!

I would be grateful to anyone who could give me some advice.
Thanks

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
As a rule of thumb, most generous employers include an entire weekend (early Saturday 'till early Monday morning) on every other weekend; all major holidays including four days of Semana Santa (Jueves Santo, Viernes Santo, S?bado y Domingo de Resurrecci?n); Christmas and New Years Holiday season (from around mid December to first week in January). Of course, all these are paid vacation days including bonuses and transportation.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Did You Give Her A "Christmas Bonus"???????

That is ALWAYS given in the DR!!!
It is an extra month's pay. That is, if they have worked the entire year. If they only worked 6 months,they get 2 weeks extra pay. 1/12th pay for each month they have worked. If they have worked 10 months,and are a good worker give them the whole months pay! It is given aaaaaaround the 15th. of Dec. so they can "get ready"" for the Holidays.
You sound like a "Nice" person,so you are no doubt paying her too much already!;)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the helpful advice.
We did give our maid the christmas bonus, DR1 helped us with that!
Our maid works Monday to Friday 10-2. I think reading from other posts we may be paying her too much at 6000 pesos per month. However she is great, not a clockwatcher, uses her iniative and is a pleasure to have around.
I was thinking of giving her 2 weeks off in the summer (she is a single mum of 4 kids) (it would be convenient for me then as I am going away with my kids for a month leaving my husband alone!) and the other usual holidays.