Equipment Donation in Santo Domingo

klewis34

Feb 28, 2007
www.sckans.edu
I am new to the forum so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. I am a Leadership student at Southwestern College and have recently constructed a project to collect baseball supplies (gloves, balls and bats) in order to take to Santo Domingo in May. I have a contact with the KC Royals, however if they are unable to contribute, i plan to collect supplies locally. At this point i am working on how to get the supplies to the DR and who to distribute them to. About 20 students from the Leadership team will be flying down around 5-8-07 and will be there for a week. We will carry on what supplies we can but if i have the response that i am hoping for, I will need to ship supplies or have them sent some way. As for the distribution, i would like to get in contact with a YMCA or an orphanage.

I am open to any suggestions and would love to hear from any of you about ideas and possibilities for the project

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Where you flying into? If you are flying to Santo Domingo you can get in touch with the YMCA there. There are hundreds of little league and youth leagues. You might want to go further afield..like some of the Bateyes in San Pedro de Macor?s.

I would not worry about bringing stuff in..20 50-60 pound bags stuffed with baseball gear will be enough, I am sure.

HB

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Yes, I do

anybody have suggestions/comments/ideas?
If Steve Pindar contacted you, then I'd highly recommend you follow his advice and network through him. He's been through it all in this sort of endeavor.

He's going to save you much time and frustration (not all, but a lot).

Best of luck to you.

klewis34

Feb 28, 2007
www.sckans.edu
Thanks guys, i am in contact with Steve. He sounds like he has a lot of knowledge in this area. My orgnizations that i was going to for donations are not looking too promising however so i'm hoping either something else comes up or that i get a good response from the local community

OBed Colon

Aug 25, 2007
I am new to the forum so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. I am a Leadership student at Southwestern College and have recently constructed a project to collect baseball supplies (gloves, balls and bats) in order to take to Santo Domingo in May. I have a contact with the KC Royals, however if they are unable to contribute, i plan to collect supplies locally. At this point i am working on how to get the supplies to the DR and who to distribute them to. About 20 students from the Leadership team will be flying down around 5-8-07 and will be there for a week. We will carry on what supplies we can but if i have the response that i am hoping for, I will need to ship supplies or have them sent some way. As for the distribution, i would like to get in contact with a YMCA or an orphanage.

I am open to any suggestions and would love to hear from any of you about ideas and possibilities for the project

My dad and I collect baseball equipment for the players in D.R. I represent the 11 and 12 year olds All Star Team, in the D. R. Diamond Baseball Classic. We just got back,we came in third place. We took 3 big 40 pound bags of baseball equipment. We will be returning there in August 2008.So if you need us to take equipment there let us know. We have references if you need them.Thank you Brandon

nice work

Brandon - congratulations on your great finish at the Diamond Classic. Also, great job collecting the equipment. As you know, there is a great need for equipment in the DR, as well as other Latin American countries. I am the founder of Roberto's Kids (Robertos Kids), which is named for the great Roberto Clemente. We collect new and gently worn baseball equipment from throughout the US and Canada. This equipment is then distributed to less fortunate youth in the DR, other Latin American countries and around the World. We have been shipping equipment to the DR since 1999. Keep up the good work!