Maria Montez Airport - Barahona

S

Sarah

Just curious if anyone has a clue as to when commercial carriers, like American Airlines, will begin flying into and out of Barahona?

Thanks, Sarah

G

Giovanni

American Eagle announce they are studying flying to Barahona, but nothing official yet.

S

Sarah

Great! I think American Eagle usually flys the smaller planes. So would you fly into Santo Domingo and then catch an American Eagle from there to Barahona? Could you tell me where you found this info? Thank you.

W

William Leslie

I guess you are aware that this air port has not yet opened for use. Please note DR news article about a week ago that there are new administrators for FOUR of the airports here including Maria Montez.

G

Giovanni

The airport is open for business. I don't recall where I saw this info, but I know they are studying Barahona and Punta Cana.

S

Sarah

I was fairly sure that it was open. I just wish that I could validate if and when commercial airlines will start flying in and out of there. Let me know if you remember where you heard/read info on American Eagle. Anyone else? Thanks, Sarah

W

William Leslie

Please note an excerpt from April 3rd, 2000 news stating Maria Montez Airport is not open.

"Aerodom was formed to undertake the airport improvements and to provide ongoing oversight and management of the airports. Aerodom will collect and retain aeronautical revenues such as aircraft landing and parking fees, airport terminal revenues including passenger facility charges and fees from airport services providers, and all commercial revenues, rents and fees at Las Americas Airport (Santo Domingo), Gregorio Luperon Airport (Puerto Plata), Maria Montez Airport (Barahona) and Arroyo Barril Airport (Samana). Of the four, only the first two are in operation. The contract establishes that Aerodom will be responsible for the administration, operation, maintenance, modernization, commercial exploitation, renewal and expansion of the airports."

S

Sarah

Hmm...I stand corrected. I thought I had seen small airplanes flying in and out of there over the past year or so. Governmental maybe? I don't know. But thanks for the post William. If it's not open, then any ideas why it's taking so long?

W

William Leslie

I beleive (personal observation only) it is a matter of the horse before the cart syndrome. Investors said we will not build hotels unless there is an airport to get people there (it is difficult to get there otherwise..a long drive from Santo Domingo..) So the govt built the airport but does not have the money to run it (maintain, staff, supply electric, water, services, professional services for the flight towers etc) as there are no airlines willing to fly virtually empty planes there as there are not enough hotels or places to stay in. Privitizing will require the operaters supply the services and struggle to get in any airlines no matter how small or infrequent the service just to get it going so that slowly investors will see something happening and build, build, build for the future.

S

Sarah

I know that long, tiresome drive from Las Americas to Barahona all too well. Therein lies my interest in Maria Montez. Thanks again for your input. I guess we'll just have to wait awhile longer...

D

Drake

The Maria Montez airport is equiped with the most advanced radar in the country. It has a 3 KM runway that can be landed by 747's.

One of the reasons that it remains un-opened is due to pressure from several influential business men in the east for it to remain in that state, as it is against their interest.

Rumour has it, that the airport receives many small aircraft from Columbia mostly at night.

D

DR1

Only individually owned or chartered flights are flying into Barahona airport. No commercial scheduled carrier flights have been scheduled as of yet.

S

Sarah

Thanks everyone...

...for all the info. If anyone hears any new news, please email me directly!