Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with eye glasses

I am told that there are establishments in Santo Domingo that give you an eye examination and make your glasses while you wait. I need to know if this is true and if so where I might find such an establishment.

I broke my glasses and am presently using an old pair that does make me able to see but barely. I traveled to Romana and had an examination and ordered new glasses. 11 days later, today, I received my new glasses and they are as bad as my old ones. Rather then sending them back for another 11 days I would travel to SD if I can be assured of new glasses the same or next day. HELP!!!!!

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Snyder; 02-28-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes , I would also like to know where you can obtain a REAl optician and have quality eye glasses here on the north coast . I have heard ther is one in Santiago and one in POP. Dentists are another issue here in Sosua they do not even have an X-ray machine or proper teeth cleaning procedures including sterilization. Any help would be appreciated.

Chip00

Quote Originally Posted by globalmike295 View Post
    Yes , I would also like to know where you can obtain a REAl optician and have quality eye glasses here on the north coast . I have heard ther is one in Santiago and one in POP. Dentists are another issue here in Sosua they do not even have an X-ray machine or proper teeth cleaning procedures including sterilization. Any help would be appreciated.
    I have gotten two different sets of glasses here in Santiago and have been very pleased. Both times they copied my existing prescription. One pair lasted me over 4 years and it was rimless.

Also, I believe there are quite a few competent shops here in Santiago.

As far as dentist go I had my teeth cleaned here in Santiago and they used the same equipment that they used back home - the ultrasonic "zapper". It cost me RD800 but the normal price was RD600 - mine were exceptionally dirty!

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chip, but where do you go in the DR to get the precription?

Chip00

Quote Originally Posted by globalmike295 View Post
    Thanks Chip, but where do you go in the DR to get the precription?
    I'm sure most of the nice shops have the equipment to do the eye test. Just pull up the phone #'s in the guia and give them a call.

Now that I think about it I believe one pair of glasses they actually gave me a test. The shop was new near the Jose Maria Cabral Hospital on La Ave. Sabana Larga.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a copy of my prescription from an eye test carried out in UK and I take that into opticians here in PP for them to make up the spectacles. The results are relatively accurate but if, like me, you wear varifocal lenses, insist that the optician sits the other side of the desk and measures from the seated position. First time I was measured here the optician did it standing up & she was a lot shorter than me............ so the 'vari' bit started waaay too high. That process took around 2 weeks for complete & satisfactory spectacles which of course cost a lot less than the UK. I don't know of anywhere which does specs while you wait, but if anywhere does it'll be SD. You can buy off the shelf reading glasses here in an instant. If you already have a prescription, even if slightly out of date, I'd use that and at least cut out one part of the process which could go wrong.

My experience with dentists is entirely different, globalmike. Dr. Fredy Lepe in Puerto Plata is an excellent dentist, trained here & in US, fluent in English & a really nice guy. He has fully sterilised equipment, can do small Xrays but for the panoramic full mouth Xray will send you to the Xray centre (also in PP). Again cost of proceedures is notably different from UK, so much so that we now have denti-tourists coming here on holiday while they get their dental work done. And Dr. Lepe is no Atilla the Gum, btw.

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks lambada, I will take your advice on the dentist.

The eye doctor is another matter, I am looking for an accurate prescription from a real eye doctor. I will have the prescription sent to the U.S. for the manufacturing of the actual pair of glasses. I do need a bifocal prescription.

Thanks,

Mike

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Higuey

Rick,

Here in Higuey there is one "optica" that made my glasses with next day turnaround when my original pair was broken.

I bought new frames, around 4k and the lenses were about 1.5k.
    Depends if you need any special lenses, etc.

George

Chip00

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Snyder View Post
    I am told that there are establishments in Santo Domingo that give you an eye examination and make your glasses while you wait. I need to know if this is true and if so where I might find such an establishment.

I broke my glasses and am presently using an old pair that does make me able to see but barely. I traveled to Romana and had an examination and ordered new glasses. 11 days later, today, I received my new glasses and they are as bad as my old ones. Rather then sending them back for another 11 days I would travel to SD if I can be assured of new glasses the same or next day. HELP!!!!!

Rick
    Rick

I realize you are looking for a place in Santo Domingo but there is an optician here in Santiago that can do everything you want in a day. You would have to get there early of course. The best thing is to get here the night before and you could stay with us. I could pick you up from the bus station and take you downtown to the opticians early. Maybe we could meet HB for lunch.

Let me know if you are interested.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Chip I appreciate the invite and hospitality but the cost of transportation and the 6 hour bus ride to and 6 hour back just don't equate for a pair of glasses. Don't get me wrong as I would love to visit and meet you but I'll have to wait till such a time that I can spend sufficient time to see the city. Thank you anyway.

George what is the name of that establishment? Due to your post I took another look in the phone book and came across Optica Prisma Vision located on Agustin Guerrero in Higuey. Their advertisement says glasses in one hour and I called them up and they said they do in fact do glasses in one or two hours. As Higuey is only an hour away I guess I'll go there.

I wish to once again thank DR1 and its members for the valuable help they offer to the public.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast