Bush signs DR FTA

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Bush clears FTA with DR
President George Bush cleared the way on 28 February for the implementation of the Dominican Republic-Central America-United States Free Trade Agreement with respect to the DR and for other purposes. A 1 March 2007 White House release carries the decision. US Ambassador Hans Hertell is scheduled to make the announcement locally today.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/03/20070301.html

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
When?

So when does it take effect for goods shipped into the Dominican Republic?

Does it apply to anything that is shipped after March 1?

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Ok. I can see how businesses will gain from this.

But what does this mean to a regular joe like me?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Does anybody know what this means for car prices. Should I hold off on buying my wheels? Cheers.
ED

According to the article cars, appliances, raw materials are just a few of the thousands of products that should be cheaper. On the other side of the coin the Dominican companies that make those similar products will be hurt by those same low prices. With some adjustment some may survive while others...hasta la vista baby. The crude realities of the market.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=22872

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Dominican "Government" Has Been "Preparing" For DRCAFTA For Some Time!

They have been legislating huge increases in local fees/taxes/fines etc.,and reducing local subsidies as well. "Life" in the DR will continue to be VERY EXPENSIVE!!!!! For those of us who live here!
As DRCAFTA is implemented,I believe that the Government will continue to find "creative" ways to increase their "income"! In a Government that steals solely by huge taxes they have little choice!
Just wait until the "METRO" starts sucking the DR dry! More than "So Far" that is!!

"Don't Count Your Chickens",just yet!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bacha

Jan 31, 2004
freizeit.bonzgd.biz
I have full faith and confidence that the Dominicans will find a way to circumvent the agreement. Don't hold your breath waiting for prices to come down.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Prices always go up, and they will go even higher now that greedy Aduanas doesn't get its regular share...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Does anybody know what this means for car prices. Should I hold off on buying my wheels? Cheers.
ED

Import duties for cars are supposed to be lowered by 10% a year. Since The DR is starting on the second year of the implementation of the treaty duties for cars are supposed to be 20% less. The government has already raised tittle and other fees to "compensate" for the intended shortfall in income. So in effect you won't be saving much.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
As CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC said don't coun't your chickens before they hatch..I'm shipping a container of household goods there in 3 weeks..Lets see what happens..I'll keep you posted when they release my goods to me from the aduana.....Zak.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Now, y'all don't turn blue...

My question is very straight forward. When can we expect to see prices on products coming down? My guess is never. As others have said, "where there's a will, there's a way" so to speak.

One of the arguments that we can expect to hear is that current stocks will need to be sold prior to price reductions. What do you want to bet that the island is just before sinking under the strain of "current inventory", and that all the stores have oh... say...5 years worth of everything that goes on their shelves!

Another question. What goods make up the other 23%? For that matter, what goods make up the 77%? Is there a straight out list somewhere that gives the product and what the percentage of import duties should be with another column for the addtional taxes?

Will the Dominican Republic/USA become like USA/China? In other words a lot coming in and very little going out. :surprised

Dianne ;)

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Dianne,

You bring up a good and important point concerning 'present inventory'.

I remember a little over a year ago when there was the big to-do concerning the price of bags of cement. The largest ferreter?a here in El Seybo receives a weekly shipment of cement by a semi flatbed truck. After a price reduction was announced it took that ferreter?a 5 weeks to supposedly run out of their inventory before they reduced prices. Needless to say that during those 5 weeks they continued to receive there weekly shipment. Of course when the prices went back up their inventory disappeared overnight and their prices went up the next day.

Rick

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
From all the speculating here the overwhelming forecast seems to be that the consumer will not benefit.:mad:

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The prices of medicines, pharmaceuticals and related health products are sure to go up, once the US manufacturers insist on closing down the local generic manufacturers, due to the patent and intellectual property rights clauses included in the treaty.

Last edited: