Brujer?a y hechicer?a

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Whatever you call it, it?s plain old witchcraft and sorcery, and I doubt any of you living in the DR has not been exposed to it. Personally, I find it healthy and amusing, the symbolic lengths certain people will go to influence you? Here?s two of my most recent encounters. A few weeks ago, my wife Altagracia jumped when she found a huge centipede inside an open suitcase on a table by the window. I noticed that it would have been impossible for the centipede to climb into the suitcase. When I shook the centipede, it did not run as usual. It was obvious the centipede had been thrown in through the open window. For the next couple of days I asked among my neighbors, including my caretaker?s family, about the centipede, warning them strongly against the repeat of such mischief. It was a twelve-year old who gave me the clue. He said he had witnessed a now deceased sorcerer ?prepare? a centipede for the purpose of causing harm to the person who would kill it. However, the child could name no suspect.
Yesterday, a young remote cousin called me to say he had a stone that he thought I would find interesting. I figured he just wanted an excuse to visit, so I told him to come on over and bring the stone. We had small talk, I asked him about his mother (a renown bruja) and his sisters. I found the stone extremely interesting, I have never seen anything like it before. I asked him about the location of the find, whether he had found other similar stones... He sat down to watch TV for awhile, ate a sandwitch, and departed. He asked no money for the stone. Now I?m wondering whether the stone is part of his mother?s witchcraft. Here?s pictures of the stone. Can anybody identify it?. It doesn?t look Taino.

The stone weighs about 6 lbs. It is very heavy and dense, maybe basaltic?

446nml3.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Phallic, similar to some items at Centro Le?n. IF original, quite unique.

Maybe trying to tell you something?>

HB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

HB

Hillbilly, do you really think there's a message there somewhere?...

I went ahead and did a little research, since you mentioned there's a similar stone in the Centro Leon. Through google I found out that these stones are called trigonolith: three pointed stones with a human figure insert. According to several experts, the figure represents the principal Taino deity, Yacaj? Bagua Maorocoti, which translates something akin to, ?Lord of the Yuca, Great and Powerful as the Sea?. So it seems the idol is a fertility symbol related to the yuca harvest, the staple foodstuff of the Taino people. I assume the Taino farmers buried these idols in the fields to bring forth an abundant yuca harvest...

...maybe the message is, "go plant your yuca"... ;-)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

HB

I tend to agree with you, more phallic symbolism, although there seems to be an orifice to the left. I have seen a similar looking stone in a National Geographica article and on the the other side an inscription was deciphered... It was the recipe for mamajuana!!!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I tend to agree with you, more phallic symbolism, although there seems to be an orifice to the left. I have seen a similar looking stone in a National Geographica article and on the the other side an inscription was deciphered... It was the recipe for mamajuana!!!!

Hidalgo, what seems like an orifice on the left, is actually an eye socket. On this new picture you will notice more clearly the anthropomorphic facial features on the stone. Also, unfortunately, no recipe for mamajuana on the backside. By the way, the Tainos favorite intoxicating beverages were a bees honey wine and high proof spirits made from agave.

449zvo9.jpg

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i just showed the photo of your stone to 3 dominican women who grew up in the campo, these women read coffee cups like i read the NY times. they could not think of anything evil or bruja about it, however they don't consider themselves experts. perhaps it would make a nice sale to a tourist.........

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
i just showed the photo of your stone to 3 dominican women who grew up in the campo, these women read coffee cups like i read the NY times. they could not think of anything evil or bruja about it, however they don't consider themselves experts. perhaps it would make a nice sale to a tourist.........

Amparocorp, I'm also sure there's nothing evil or 'bruja' about it. Many years ago, I helped the mother of the young man who brought the stone to me. Her name is Senelia, and at that time she sought my help to throw a lavish party in honor of her patron saint, Beli? Belc?n (Miguelita), to seek its favor in order to help her travel to Spain. The party was an outstanding success. She obtained the visa and resources to migrate to Spain. Where she now lives.
By the way, the sale of DR archaeological objects is banned by law. All archaeological objects belong to the state, and the most a person is entitled to is custody, after it has been catalogued by the state Museum (Museo del Hombre Dominicano), and is not requiered for exhibit.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
perhaps then Mirador we can make plaster copies to sell to tourists, as genuine authentic,,,,,,,,,,better yet, is to tell the tourists that the stone has special powers.................i can see the money rolling in now...............

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
perhaps then Mirador we can make plaster copies to sell to tourists, as genuine authentic,,,,,,,,,,better yet, is to tell the tourists that the stone has special powers.................i can see the money rolling in now...............

Amparocorp, my concerns are not commercial, more like academic, anthropological to be precise. Upon further observation, I am about to discount it as of Taino origin. The stone head is significantly different from all the Taino 'trigonoliths' documented. I've been particularly intrigued by the top part of the head, the concentric patterns covering down to the lower forehead. It appears it is a woven cap, similar to the ones used by the Incas and present day Peruvian highlanders. Here's a picture of the stone head with two inserts taken from google images of Peruvian caps...

3zamx4z.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I see you have started something here.

Why not visit the Hidalga and see what is at Centro Le?n.?? A chance to imbibe some good rum, and maybe have a meal at my place??

I think I would be cautious about attaching Andean connections, however, some sort of commerce probably did take place for intrepid sailors...at least it is a viable thesis.

HB

May 31, 2005
What is your original question? Do you need help with the brujeria or with the stone? In the beginning it sounded like it was regarding brujeria and now you say that you are interested in the stone academically.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
What is your original question? Do you need help with the brujeria or with the stone? In the beginning it sounded like it was regarding brujeria and now you say that you are interested in the stone academically.

I have no problems with witchcraft or sorcery, actually, I?m an expert in the arts? ;-) I used the theme only to present the anthropological issue, which is the origen of the artifact. Hillbilly immediately picked up on it, by mentioning that the artifact was phallic. Hillbilly has visited enough museums to notice that most unidentified artifacts are invariably labelled, ?objects of worship?. So, why not!, the stone head is evidence for phallus worship among theTaino. However, I suspect ancient people, including the Taino, were not that simple, and actually were very practical, just like I am, and worshipping was the least of their endeavors?

Baracutay

Apr 13, 2007
www.centrelink.org
Regarding archeological stone carving

Hello to all,
The stone piece is in fact Taino and does in fact represent Yocahu Bagua Maoracoti. This style of Taino work is sometimes refered to as "Macorix Head".
Hope this helps.
Baracutay

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
But Really

I have no problems with witchcraft or sorcery, actually, I?m an expert in the arts? ;-) I used the theme only to present the anthropological issue, which is the origen of the artifact. Hillbilly immediately picked up on it, by mentioning that the artifact was phallic. Hillbilly has visited enough museums to notice that most unidentified artifacts are invariably labelled, ?objects of worship?. So, why not!, the stone head is evidence for phallus worship among theTaino. However, I suspect ancient people, including the Taino, were not that simple, and actually were very practical, just like I am, and worshipping was the least of their endeavors?

im still waiting to hear more about the centipede and if anything happened in your town?!?! I personally also admire and am interested by the 'brujeria' rituals. I in fact love coming to see any palo or ceremony or ritual if I can just to learn and see it first hand.
on another note, if that stone is authentic you got a nice piece of history there my friend!

Jaime

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
im still waiting to hear more about the centipede and if anything happened in your town?!?! I personally also admire and am interested by the 'brujeria' rituals. I in fact love coming to see any palo or ceremony or ritual if I can just to learn and see it first hand.
on another note, if that stone is authentic you got a nice piece of history there my friend!

Jaime

can I have the stone? wow what a piece of history!!!

about the brujeria, my believe is that if you have those superstitions in your head you might start seeing supernatural events and "brujerias" around you.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Jamie, Baracutay, the stone is a cem? (or zem?). A campesino neighbor (La Cabuyita) suggested I place the "cabeza de indio" inside a gourd, fill it with water, and place it under my altar. Since all my icons and paraphernalia are on a same level surface, I decided against it. But when my helpers placed the stone on the altar, all the candles blew out, and a whirlwind lifted my ceremonial mirror, twirling it around, until it flopped on the floor, broken into shreds. I advised all present not to touch or even look at the pieces, until water was generously sprinkled on the remains. Notwithstanding, the stone head is staying put, and new candles were lit, and I bought another mirror. Here's a recent picture...

2ly2vsy.jpg

Since we're at it, on the way to San Juan de la Maguana, there's a spot that provides the strongest of energies (it's a "power spot"). I firmly recommend it. Here's a recent picture...

2qltk5h.jpg

I also recommend a stop over at don Javier, in Pedro Corto, on the road between San Juan and Las Matas de Farf?n. He's a famous healers, and you will find him there Saturdays and Mondays, down a dirt road about 100 meters from the main highway, in a small pink house next to the milk farm that once belonged to don Quirino. You better get there early. Only 15 numbers, and they're all taken by 8:30 am.