Lunar (Moon) event tonight?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
RE: cnn.com. Full moon eclipse tonight. Best viewing just at/after sunset in the D.R. I'm sure that others can add to this with much more knowledge and information. I'll have my camera ready.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A few years ago, the lunar eclipse was spectacular. I pulled out a lounge chair to the middle of the field, placed an appropriate LP on the turntable, and listened to King Crimson (remember, In the Court of the Crimson King?) while I watched the three hour eclipse unfolding, at full eclipse, when the moon turned a bright crimson red, I fired several shots from my 12 gage Franchi, to ward off the evil spirits....

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I think that I just saw Orson Wells go past with a black cat and pointy hat... followed by Gene Berry with a shot gun. LOL.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Said the straight man to the late man
Where have you been
I've been here and I've been there
And I've been in between​

(Lyrics "I Talk To The Wind" from the album "In The Court Of The Crimson King" by King Crimson)​

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thanks guys. I still don't know what we will get in the D.R. I am on my way out for a look.

(No Orson NO... You CAN NOT do that to the cat.)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mr C is out taking photos of it at the moment, so I'll post something when he gets back. I had a look about an hour ago and it was quite clearly visible - a reddish shadow over most of the full moon.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Mr C is out taking photos of it at the moment, so I'll post something when he gets back. I had a look about an hour ago and it was quite clearly visible - a reddish shadow over most of the full moon.

The event was not "fireworks" but was worth watching. My wife and I in the pool with all the lights out. My camera didn't pick up anything. (Wish I had my old 35mm with all the lenses.) Hope that Mr. Cs' did. Thanks.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Said the straight man to the late man
Where have you been
I've been here and I've been there
And I've been in between​

(Lyrics "I Talk To The Wind" from the album "In The Court Of The Crimson King" by King Crimson)​

Great group, great song, am a big follower, but actually the cut Moonchild would be more fitting for the lunar eclipse don't you think?:)

Call her moonchild
Dancing in the shallows of a river
Lonely moonchild
Dreaming in the shadow
of the willow

Lyrics "Moonchild" from the album "In The Court Of The Crimson King" by KING CRIMSON

G

gary short

Still raining where I am..........it's been 6 months since I've seen a clear sky....what's it like????????

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Like, wow...

Photo of tonight's cosmic marvel.

That was a good photographic rendering of the phenomenom, however, a picture can never replace the emotional experience of the real event. At the insistence of my daughters, we walked up to the roof of the Bella Vista Mall. They were absolutely enthralled, and the oldest was initially somewhat spooked. Later the conversation turned to how the event ocurred, its prediction, and even the possibility that astronomers could make mistakes in their calculations. Of course, I had to dig deep in memory for traces of my school day trigonometry...