Identity Theft

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Very few things in life send chills down my spine the way the thought of having been impersonated does. Especially for those 'not-so-legal' purposes.

I'm probably speaking for quite a few dominicans abroad who have left the country many many years ago. Like me, some have left as children, minors in the legal sense of the word and have either never gotten or got an abundantly obsolete version of their "cedula."

Briefly, my story goes like this. My parents and I left the DR back in 1977. I was only nine years old. I once travelled to the DR in 1983 and by then I was fourteen. My parents had me get a "cedula" which by now you probably realize it was the kind made of paper. That folks, was the one and only cedula I ever got. Have not gotten one since. I am a US citizen and for all practical purposes I have not had a need for this cedula mainly due to my few visits to the DR. I've only been back a total of three times since having left back in '77.

So, what's my point? Well, I keep hearing about all these people that have had their identity stolen by foreigners, criminals and the like. I'm wondering what criteria these corrupt JCE workers go by to decide who gets the shaft. Furthermore, I'm wondering if and whether I have been "impersonated." I really have no way of knowing until I make my next visit to the DR and take it upon myself to venture out and find this out on my own. The possibilities are endless and quite honestly the thought of it makes me shiver. This is a very serious matter and it can conceivably ruin someone's life, especially in a country like the DR where it is big enough to make someone want to care, and small enough where trouble will follow you no matter where you go.

This brings me to the golden question. What, ifn anything, can people like me do to 1) ensure our identities are safeguarded and 2) find information from abroad pertinent to us that can be verified through a government entity as to the integrity of our demographics.

Anyone with information, I will be extremely grateful.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I also had one of those paper c?dulas, and one day, upon renewal, I was told I had to go through the entire process of application again, since the authorities (and they admitted it!) had given my same number to somebody else. That was long ago, and now I read these problems are occurring all over again, with the aggravating circumstance that people are finding arrests and conviction records they don't have when they apply for things such as gun permits. Even the Attorney General (Procurador Fiscal) recently mentioned that his own identity (c?dula) was being used by someone else, a convicted felon to boot. What you should do? Once you are in the DR, apply for a copy of your birth certificate, and go to the Junta Central Electoral office in Santo Domingo, and reapply for a c?dula.

"...integrity of demographics"? lol, that made my day!

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Geese Rick, thanks for the so very encouraging news. I guess if the DA had his forged, I can expect to be diagnosed with multiple personality syndrome.

Way I see it... had it not happened to him, no one else would've, could've or should've expected any concrete efforts to develop really effective countermeasures against identity theft. That folks is the sad part. Unless it happens to "royalty", blue blooded beings, the rest of us earthlings and common mortals can expect nothing.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"en todas partes se cuecen habas"

Americans Selling ID Papers to Illegal Immigrants

"In all, seven defendants pleaded guilty in Corpus Christi this past week to charges of selling their birth certificates and Social Security cards for $100 each. Seven other defendants pleaded guilty to buying or reselling those documents as part of a ring that sold documents to illegal immigrants seeking jobs in Dodge City, Kan.

The federal government's attention has been on stolen or fabricated identity documents, and officials say they know little about people who sell their own legitimate documents."