How do you actually ship pets to DR?

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I know that I need a health certifcate, etc...What I would like to know is how do I actually ship them???

Do I call the airlines? Do they go as cargo? What about the long ride, do they get to use the bathroom? I am worried about them with the 10 hour ride and changing planes etc. Anyone have any first hand advice on this?

Do they count as a suitcase? Do I have to pay extra? Thanks.....:ermm:

I am seriously CLUELESS!!! Any help would be appreciated.

PS I am bringing two cats and a greyhound Dog. Thanks!!!

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Call your airline and see if they do ship animals...The cost is $80.00-$100.00 per checked cage meaning it is too big to go under your seat..If the temp.is below 45 degrees or above 85 degrees they will not accepy the caged animal..Of this I am positive...Unless you have a doctors cert saying they OK the temp to be lower..Understand that NO airline will transport any animal in baggage if the outside temp is below 35 degrees on the departing end..So for the greayhound you must travel in the early AM hours and in the Springtime .

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Your cats are considered Carry on..Hopefully they can be put together in one carry on cage..Check with your airline to see max size permitted...So they will come off with you as you carried them on..Your problem will be that Big Doggy..
1. If the airline permits checked animals as luggage.It is on a first come first serve basis..
2. To avoid quarantine of any of your pets be sure the medical certificate is within 9 days of travel.And notarized by the Dominican Consulate nearest you. The fee is $100.00 US per aminal and assures you that they are not quarantined..You don't want your loved ones in a big pen with sick diseased and dead or dying animals..Pay the fee to the consulate..I don't know where you live but I used the DR consulate in NYC for my dog..Call them they speak english and will go over every thing with you..212-768-2480..It's the only number I have they will be able to tell you where your nearest consulate is..Also this can be done by mail at considerable expense as you only have a 9 day window from the Doctors cert till the day of departure..

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
Contact the airlines and/or visit their websites to check on costs and regulations. I think all the airlines have a "Flying with Pets" section on their website with all the info you need.

One thing to keep in mind (as I discovered while trying to book flights): Airlines will nottransfer a pet from one to another. So if part of your journey is on Continental and then you switch over to American Airlines for another part be aware that Continental won't transfer your pet onto the AA plane. This seems to be the policy with all airlines, so you're better off sticking with just one company for the entire journey.

Hope this helps!

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
We just shipped 3 dogs last August from the U.S. to the DR.

Here's the scoop.

1. The airlines will NOT accept your pets if the temps are above or under the minimums listed in the above post.

2. The DR consulate thing is not needed, all we had was a vet certificate that was issued within 30 days of travel, that was more than enough.

3. Upon arrival your pet will be examined by an agricultural official at the arriving airport. There are many papers and many stamps and a payment of $20.00US per pet.

4. The ONLY option for shipping your pet IF your airline will not guarantee shipment is to use a company in Miami called Amerijet. This is how we had to ship our dogs. To to this you'd have to ship you and your pets to Miami and then transfer them to Amerijet for shipment to the DR. It's a hassle but this company does a remarkably good job of taking care of your animals. They are stored in air conditioned areas at all times and are walked every 2 hours until they are put on the plane.

As far as finding navigating the information above you should first check out the scheduled airlines. I would advise using American, Delta or Continental as Jetblue and Spirit Airlines do not ship live animals.

It's quite an adventure for you and the pet, however the real problems arise when and if you need to return with your pets, the Canadian and US officials aren't quite as accomidating as they are here in the DR.

Jack

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
As far as finding navigating the information above you should first check out the scheduled airlines. I would advise using American, Delta or Continental as Jetblue and Spirit Airlines do not ship live animals.

Jack

delta's website states they ship dogs for $100 each way.

is this not true?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If you want to carry your pet on the plane check with the airline. American and Continental only allow 2 pets in the cabin on a flight. If their already taken you may have to try another day.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
To add to Jacks comments which are quite correct. Our dog travels back and forth to the US with us and actually traveled back here this week.

Along with the paper work from your vet (health certificate) you need proof or rabies vaccine with in 1 year (actually within 10 months). Alsoo the newer 3 year vaccine does not work here, they only recoginize the yearly vaccines.

Delta charged us $50 each way for him and he travels under our seat.

The fee in POP when we have landed has been $10 not $20. I am not sure why the difference, maybe it has to do with size of the dog.

Traveling with a pet really is very simple and smooth.

Bob K

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
Boy it certainly sounds complicated. Unfortunatly my Dog 55lb won't fit under the seat.! The only non stop flight that I've been able to find from Dtetroit MI flys to Punta Cana about 10hrs from POP. Don't you guys have puddle jumpers.
something strang on this computer won't allow me to edit my spellingorrypers in the DR? Ddo dogs sin the DR stay on heart worm meds year round?

Last edited:

curtandsandi

Nov 26, 2006
www.curtandsandi.net
We moved to Sosua at the end of May (2006) from Minnesota and shipped our 45lb dog (you've seen pic of him in "Dog Kennel" thread)... Our options were very limited, AA with a layover in Miami (who will NOT ship live animals if your destinations temp. is forcasted over 85 degrees), and Continental with a layover in Newark (who will ship pets regardless of the weather but consider them "baggage"). Because of the time of year, we chose Continental but because the flight was full, he got bumped the day he was supposed to leave!!!

To try to make a VERY long story shorter, what we ended up doing was sending him to a kennel in MN that makes travel arrangements (because we had to get on our flight). He ended up staying at the kennel for 2 wks, flying on 4 flights (over the course of 2 days) and landing in SD where we had to pick him up and drive 3.5 hrs home. It ended up costing over $1,500.00 but it is over and we have our "puppy".

Oh and your cats on the plane (in the cabin with you) "shouldn't" be a problem.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I know that I need a health certifcate, etc...What I would like to know is how do I actually ship them???

Do I call the airlines? Do they go as cargo? What about the long ride, do they get to use the bathroom? I am worried about them with the 10 hour ride and changing planes etc. Anyone have any first hand advice on this?

Do they count as a suitcase? Do I have to pay extra? Thanks.....:ermm:

I am seriously CLUELESS!!! Any help would be appreciated.

PS I am bringing two cats and a greyhound Dog. Thanks!!!

I believe that it is most important to find out what rules your Airline has in shipping animals. And what the cost is. It certainly is not free.
I have been coming to the DR with my pets since 2000 (dog and cat), back and forth. The first time I went by the rules, went through the Dominican Republic Consulate to get my papers " legalized" and translated for major $$.
Now I just keep the paperwork on my computer and have my Vet sign the updated translations.
Some or most airlines will not ship pets in the cabin. They are in a pressurized and air conditioned hold. They will be just fine. I just got back with my two cats on Monday from POP. The only surprise was that I was asked for a health certificate from a local Vet at the airport in POP, which is not required for re-entry into Canada. I never encountered this problem before, but to be on the safe side, get a certificate before you leave the DR. It depends how long you are in the DR.
For us it is just a 4 hour flight, plus ckeck-in time and time to go to our destination. Pets are usually pretty good at holding their natural funtions. Just don't feed them too much before going. Actually,treat them like they are going for surgery, they can do without food for a day and they are probably too nervous to eat and drink anyways. Don't give them any sedatives. The only thing I ever gave my 16 year old Sheltie was a Gravol to settle his stomach, but it should not be required for a younger dog.
Hope I could help.

benna

Jan 30, 2006
This is all very helpful information. I have a question however about bringing a cat that I have acquired here IN the DR, back to Canada with me. I have had her since she was a kitten and she is up to date on all of her shots etc. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with this to Canada. I know all countries are different. Do I need to have blood tests taken or anything like that for my arrival in Canada so I can avoid a quarantine?

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
This is all very helpful information. I have a question however about bringing a cat that I have acquired here IN the DR, back to Canada with me. I have had her since she was a kitten and she is up to date on all of her shots etc. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with this to Canada. I know all countries are different. Do I need to have blood tests taken or anything like that for my arrival in Canada so I can avoid a quarantine?

Your cat will not go into quarantine when you arrive in Canada, if you have all your vaccinations. Actually, the Rabies vac is the most important. No, you don't need to have blood tests taken or a microchip. I believe that is just required for pets going to Europe.
Just make sure you get a health certificate from your vet in the DR so that you don't have any problems leaving. You will have to pay a RD$300 fee at the airport.
Before you are able to check in on your flight you have to go to an office in the arrival hall (that's in POP, don't know where it might be in other airports)to obtain the necessary papers. I am sure you will be pointed in the right direction.
Make sure you declare your pet on your customs declaration for Canada. You will have to pay again when you arrive in Canada. It's around $30 CDN.
For some unexplaned reason I was waved right through the last time without going to see the people from Agriculture Canada and saved some money.:cheeky: