Scuba in whale watching area

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIVERRED

Apr 8, 2006
I am planning a trip to see the whales in a few days and would like suggestions on places to dive or must sees.I havent been further than cabrerra on previous trips.so advice will be welcomed.thanks.RED

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
From your title it sounds like you want to get in the water near the whales...

One of the regulations is:

"No vessel will permit passengers to swim with the whales."

FYI

Gregg

DIVERRED

Apr 8, 2006
no i am aware that i cant dive with the whales.but if i am going to be in the area for a few days i would like to do a few dives while i am there. i just want to see the good places. i am rescue diver level with lots of dives.i like lots of sea life more than wrecks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There was an incident last week in which tourists on a whale watching trip were injured by a whale. The newspaper reports didn't make it clear whether they were in the water or on the boat when it happened. It said that the current swept them too close to the whale, which struck them so hard with its tail that a couple needed to be hospitalised.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
mizunderstood

I don't think the OP had the intention of wanting to dive with or around the whales. Perhaps he is searching for some guidance on good dive sites, dive centers, etc. to go diving in the greater Samana area. Such as : Cabo Cabron, Piedra Bonita etc. I, unfortunately, have only read of these places, never been.....

Any divers from the Samana Peninsula care to weigh in on good local dive sites and where to get tanks, etc?

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
There was an incident last week in which tourists on a whale watching trip were injured by a whale. The newspaper reports didn't make it clear whether they were in the water or on the boat when it happened. It said that the current swept them too close to the whale, which struck them so hard with its tail that a couple needed to be hospitalised.
dominican today

Tourists recover after whale tail lashing

Puerto Plata.- One of two U.S. tourists who were hit by a whale off the north coast of the Dominican Republic was released from intensive care on Saturday.

The injured tourists were traveling on board the Turks Caicos Aggressor II when the whale attacked during an excursion to the Silver Bank whale sanctuary area on Thursday. One suffered trauma to the spinal vertebrae when the whale lashed out with its tail. They were given emergency first aid on the scene before being rushed to Centro Medico Bournigal in Puerto Plata where they are being treated by orthopedic surgeons.

According to reports, the incident happened because the boat got too near to a whale with a calf. The group was whale watching in the area when a strong current carried them toward the whale, which flapped its tail furiously in response, injuring two members of the group in the process.

International conventions for whale-watching excursions stipulate that vessels must keep a minimum distance of 270 feet (80m) away from any adult whales, for passengers' safety as well as for the protection of the whales themselves.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
According to today's papers they were actually diving. Isn't that against the whale watching conventions? Not to mention a potential Darwin Award nomination? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.