Can I get a prepaid phone in Santiago?

annvt

Feb 19, 2007
I want to buy a prepaid phone just for the 12 days I'm going to be in the DR soon (unbelievably, my cell provider doesn't have an international plan). Recommendations for what company to use and where to buy in Santiago? Flying in to Santiago and then going to the Samana peninsula (LG and LT) and would like coverage in all these places. Don't need to call the US, only within DR.

Thanks.

Ann

annvt

Feb 19, 2007
I assume we will find one on the street; better yet, I'll ask at the Colonial Hotel where I'm staying the first night.

You have all been so helpful in our trip planning. We're looking forward to visiting the DR. Thanks!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
There's an Orange shop on Calle de Sol across from Hotel Aloha Sol, you can't miss it. If you want buy an unlocked GSM based tri or quad band phone in the US and bring it over, they'll provide a SIM card and pre-paid phone cards to load minutes. The shop is near the Colonial.

Feb 7, 2007
Hey, my piece of advice:

1) If your phone uses a SIM card, get it unlocked, or better yet, if it's already unlocked good for you. That way, you can get a SIM card at any Oramge dealer for 350 pesos with 100 pesos of airtime. If you cannot use the phoen from home, you'd need to buy one. The cheapiest junkie phone would cost you about 1000 pesos.
I see an offer of Benq Siemens A70 at 590 pesos with the orange card program (prepaid) don't know if that includes the 350 card activation or it's on top of the phone price.
Orange ™

2) You can buy a refurbished Verizon (CLARO) CDMA phone on the streat or any Verizon/Claro dealer. You would pay anywhere between 500-3000 pesos depending on the model, functionality, color screen, camera, video recorder, etc. Comes with airtime of anywhere 200 to 300 pesos. I have even seen offers where they sell you a phone at 300 pesos (junk, big phone from 90's) at 300 pesos with 300 pesos of airtime.

nixonbd

Sep 16, 2006
I was able to get a Verizon, no-frills phone, for 800 pesos with 500 minutes loaded. Just have to know where to go. This particular place was a cheap clothing store that had a limited supply of phones, but got the trick done. This was in Santo Domingo though. You can also take an old phone, one that has a chip in the back, and get a DR chip installed. A friend of mine went that route. Good if your a frequent visitor to the DR. Orange will do that for you.