DR-CAFTA? Specific Products? Dates?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
According to the press coverage of DR-CAFTA, there are 1,000s of products involved, different rates of taxation on different products, & different 'effective' dates for changes in taxes, etc. + DR gov't sibsdies for various agricultural producers [& probably surreptionsly] for others.

* Is there a comprehensve & official list, preferably in English, available anywhere?

* On-line? With specific dates?
* Has the DR gov't published such a list? Should it? Must it?
* Listin Diario? The US gov't?
* Can any of these lists be accessed by DR citizens, foreign citizens? How? Thank you.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
In order to read and understand the agreement, your lawyer will need a lawyer to explain it to him.
Gringosabroso WAS a lawyer in the US before retiring down here - can't you tell that from the way he asks questions?? Always truncated & three or four to the same theme all intertwined!:cheeky: ! As an Ex lawyer, he should have NO problem understanding what we mere mortals find difficult to comprehend!:eek:gre: ~ Grahame.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Well if he (or anyone)*does* understand the myriad of schedules and other info in the full agreement text, as well as any DR Govt info on implementation, maybe he can break down the basics for the rest of us. I think many people are interested to know (I know I am) if and when prices for the following (as an example) will decrease and by how much:

*Cars/Motorcycles/Light Trucks/Jeepetas
*Parts and accessories for above
*TV's and other electronics
*Computers and related equipment (printers, UPS, etc)
*Appliances - small and large
*American food products
*Imported liquor
*Imported clothing (basic Puma's are over $100 in SD!)

Sep 19, 2005
I liked this part......

goods taken from outer space, provided they are obtained by a Party or a person
of a Party and not processed in the territory of a non-Party;

yeah so basically it will be a while before we learn what it really means....

that the people working at customs will have to come up with a way to push their cut or bribes back to the level at which they aquired them previously.

My buddy told me they already had an agrement which said that any car made in america got a doscounted tarrif, and that parts made outside america for that car would have to be split off and percentaged to allow the standard tarrif to apply to their value.

with so many hands in the pie, these agreements always have to read like this.

I wonder what the real benefit will be to the DR if they loose thousands on import tarrifs coming into the country....as a gaverment I mean...because some buisnesses who shipped goods to the US supposedly will benefit....but I dont see the goverments replacement of revenue explained...at least not yet.

bob

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
LPF, I thought that "CAFTA" quote was more of you shtick her on dr1. Iwas about to congratulate you for your cleverness, untill..

"I) goods taken from outer space, if the goods are obtained by a CAFTA-DR country or a person of a CAFTA-DR country and not processed in the territory of a country other than a CAFTA-DR country;"
..sh?t is on the actual aggreement!! DR-CAFTA is very futaristic, lol.

In context, it actually makes easy sinse though:

(
6)... The term `goods wholly obtained or produced entirely in the territory of one or more of the CAFTA-DR countries' means--

(I) goods taken from outer space, if the goods are obtained by a CAFTA-DR country or a person of a CAFTA-DR country and not processed in the territory of a country other
than a CAFTA-DR country;

Last edited:

bacha

Jan 31, 2004
freizeit.bonzgd.biz
OK-For example, I bought a new battery for my Jepeta on Mar 1 at Telefilco (sp) on Ave 12 Julio in POP. I selected a battery made in USA for RD3300 pesos (total-installed-no trade -in). I will check back in say 60-90 days and see what the price of that battery is at that time.

Sep 19, 2005
LPF, I thought that "CAFTA" quote was more of you shtick her on dr1. Iwas about to congratulate you for your cleverness, untill..

..sh?t is on the actual aggreement!! DR-CAFTA is very futaristic, lol.

In context, it actually makes easy sinse though:

(

If you ever think I am clever...it was surely a mistake on my part, and you should think twice before proceeding.:surprised :surprised ha ha ha

I think you quoted a different section than I did...

bob

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
There is NO way that I could be called a mathematician but to my eye this means that prices of cars will (initially) be much higher??

If the 20% reduction in duty is to be phased in over a 5 year period & the ITBIS taxes introduced immediately, then cars imported for the next 3 years at least should be more costly to buy!! Or is the 2nd ITBIS going to be graduated to compensate?:ermm: (Yeah ...... right!!).

Hard luck to all pf you who have been waiting for CAFTA to be enforced so as to get a 'Better Deal' on cars!! ~ Grahame.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
what does the implementation of DR-CAFTA really means in the medium to long run to Presidente (Cerveceria Nacional), Brugal etc, as it related to exporting to the United States and Central America (so far as tariffs/taxes etc, are concerned?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
How does this affect a container with your household goods sent within the next few weeks? Or does it not? Does anything in excess made in the USA fall into this exemption? I am talking about the once in a lifetime move to the DR as a new resident..I have been keeping things in storage in the USA and am ready to take advantage of the duty free move since I am still within my 6 month period.....