Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question DR-CAFTA? Specific Products? Dates?

According to the press coverage of DR-CAFTA, there are 1,000s of products involved, different rates of taxation on different products, & different 'effective' dates for changes in taxes, etc. + DR gov't sibsdies for various agricultural producers [& probably surreptionsly] for others.

* Is there a comprehensve & official list, preferably in English, available anywhere?

* On-line? With specific dates?
    * Has the DR gov't published such a list? Should it? Must it?
    * Listin Diario? The US gov't?
    * Can any of these lists be accessed by DR citizens, foreign citizens? How? Thank you.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dr-cafta

grongosabroso:

Try Office of the United States Trade Representative.

Best Regards,
    Playacaribe2

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Full text of the agreements here SICE - D.R. - Central America - U.S. Free Trade Agreement (D.R. - CAFTA - U.S.)

Enough to drive you nuts once you start delving into them.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    In order to read and understand the agreement, your lawyer will need a lawyer to explain it to him.
    Gringosabroso WAS a lawyer in the US before retiring down here - can't you tell that from the way he asks questions?? Always truncated & three or four to the same theme all intertwined! ! As an Ex lawyer, he should have NO problem understanding what we mere mortals find difficult to comprehend! ~ Grahame.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if he (or anyone)*does* understand the myriad of schedules and other info in the full agreement text, as well as any DR Govt info on implementation, maybe he can break down the basics for the rest of us. I think many people are interested to know (I know I am) if and when prices for the following (as an example) will decrease and by how much:

*Cars/Motorcycles/Light Trucks/Jeepetas
    *Parts and accessories for above
    *TV's and other electronics
    *Computers and related equipment (printers, UPS, etc)
    *Appliances - small and large
    *American food products
    *Imported liquor
    *Imported clothing (basic Puma's are over $100 in SD!)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked this part......

[FONT=Times New Roman]goods taken from outer space, provided they are obtained by a Party or a person[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]of a Party and not processed in the territory of a non-Party;[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]yeah so basically it will be a while before we learn what it really means....[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]that the people working at customs will have to come up with a way to push their cut or bribes back to the level at which they aquired them previously.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]My buddy told me they already had an agrement which said that any car made in america got a doscounted tarrif, and that parts made outside america for that car would have to be split off and percentaged to allow the standard tarrif to apply to their value.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]with so many hands in the pie, these agreements always have to read like this.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I wonder what the real benefit will be to the DR if they loose thousands on import tarrifs coming into the country....as a gaverment I mean...because some buisnesses who shipped goods to the US supposedly will benefit....but I dont see the goverments replacement of revenue explained...at least not yet.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]bob[/FONT]

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

LPF, I thought that "CAFTA" quote was more of you shtick her on dr1. Iwas about to congratulate you for your cleverness, untill..

"I) goods taken from outer space, if the goods are obtained by a CAFTA-DR country or a person of a CAFTA-DR country and not processed in the territory of a country other than a CAFTA-DR country;"
    ..shít is on the actual aggreement!! DR-CAFTA is very futaristic, lol.

In context, it actually makes easy sinse though:

(
    6)... The term `goods wholly obtained or produced entirely in the territory of one or more of the CAFTA-DR countries' means--

(I) goods taken from outer space, if the goods are obtained by a CAFTA-DR country or a person of a CAFTA-DR country and not processed in the territory of a country other
    than a CAFTA-DR country;
    Last edited by aegap; 03-05-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

OK-For example, I bought a new battery for my Jepeta on Mar 1 at Telefilco (sp) on Ave 12 Julio in POP. I selected a battery made in USA for RD3300 pesos (total-installed-no trade -in). I will check back in say 60-90 days and see what the price of that battery is at that time.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aegap View Post
    LPF, I thought that "CAFTA" quote was more of you shtick her on dr1. Iwas about to congratulate you for your cleverness, untill..

..shít is on the actual aggreement!! DR-CAFTA is very futaristic, lol.

In context, it actually makes easy sinse though:

(

If you ever think I am clever...it was surely a mistake on my part, and you should think twice before proceeding. ha ha ha

I think you quoted a different section than I did...

bob

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

...is the second ITBIS of 17% the "sales tax" when you actually purchase the car, or is there another 16% ITBIS on top of that (a third ITBIS)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast