Geneology Records for Haiti and DR

C

Chip00

I just found out the our family patriarch was French and came from Saint Domingue/Santo Domingo and it appears from ship manifests that he spent a lot of time in the capital.

Can anybody tell me of the birth and death records available in the capital? He was Catholic so I'm hoping to be able to peruse the records there. Has anybody done this or have any ideas?

Also, it appears he spent time in Port de Paix before when it was part of France. Does anybody think the records they have there at the Catholic Diocese are worth checking into?

As always - thanks

Chip

Sep 20, 2003
Just a suggestion. The Mormons seem to have excellent resources when it comes to researching a family's history.

Perhaps the local Mormon office in Florida can be of assistance?

C

Chip00

No advice?

Anybody out there with any advice or experience tracing roots here in the DR?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
This would be very hard to do there specially since
registering and keeping records has not been practiced
much.

Can i call you 666 ?

C

Chip00

Update for those interested...yawwwwwn

Update for all of you interested in this thread haha :cheeky: - I talked with HB today and he thinks it would be worthwhile to check with the Catedral Mayor in the capital for birth/death records. When I can make it to the capital I'll give an update. Who know's maybe some of the other DR1'ers might find their long lost roots here in the DR!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Chip00
Let me add to this really exciting thread!!! In the OP you mentioned that in your patriarch side the roots are French. Maybe contacting the French Embassy might help.:cheeky:

C

Chip00

Chip00
Let me add to this really exciting thread!!! In the OP you mentioned that in your patriarch side the roots are French. Maybe contacting the French Embassy might help.:cheeky:

Wow - I got a response!!!!

No, seriously, I don't think that will help - after all this was over 200 years ago and I'm sure any records that the French had went the way of those who opposed the new regime. Also, Port de Paix was under the Santo Domingo Archdiocese so they would have the birth records if anybody would.

Nonetheless, thanks for the response - now we can let this thread crawl back to it's corner.:bored: