Offered 44 pesos to the dollar

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006
One of those money exchange guys that you see on the street offered me 44 pesos to the dollar yesterday.

Now if something seems too good to be true then it usually is but I was curious. The bunch of notes he was holding looked pretty real to me.

Has anybody got a rate like this before?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This happend to me my first and only time using a street changer... he gave me a rate about 2 pesos better than I had seem elsewhere...and told me he'd give me an even better rate if I exchanged more... anyway, I was scammed, here's how it went:

He gives me the pesos which I count...there was a huge amount of 10's for some reason, along with the usual 500 peso notes, a couple of 100's etc...

I count it it and it seems off by 40 pesos so I hand it to my friend to count. He counts it and confirms it's off by 40 pesos. I hnd it back to the changer who adds 40 pesos and hands it back to me...I give him the US dollars and take off...I get a weird feeling as soon as we take off (because of all the 10's) when I count it, I realize he switched the 500's (except for the outer one) with more 10's!!

As I said...this was the first and last time Ive used a street guy...we were two very sceptical, and we thought, very careful people that got scammed...so be VERRRRRY careful, I know there are honest guys out there...in the same spot every day, but...bottom line, it's probably not worth the risk...especially if he's offering you THAT much over the current rate (mine was only 2 or 3 pesos higher)...

Playero

Aug 24, 2006
Are you sure he was talking Dollars and not Euros?? 44 seems a bit too far up, even if it really was a tricky street hustler.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Probably Euros...

NEVER, EVER exchange money from someone on the street or at the airport if you can avoid it. In both places you'll get ripped off. The street changer will most likely rip you off with a slight of hand while at the airport you'll just get a much lower rate than any exchange house.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This happend to me my first and only time using a street changer... he gave me a rate about 2 pesos better than I had seem elsewhere...and told me he'd give me an even better rate if I exchanged more... anyway, I was scammed, here's how it went:

He gives me the pesos which I count...there was a huge amount of 10's for some reason, along with the usual 500 peso notes, a couple of 100's etc...

I count it it and it seems off by 40 pesos so I hand it to my friend to count. He counts it and confirms it's off by 40 pesos. I hnd it back to the changer who adds 40 pesos and hands it back to me...I give him the US dollars and take off...I get a weird feeling as soon as we take off (because of all the 10's) when I count it, I realize he switched the 500's (except for the outer one) with more 10's!!
That is EXACTLY what happened to me by a street vendor in the Capital, right in front of a wary Dominican friend-who to this day cannot believe it happened.

It was a US$180 lesson for me, and the only time I've been scammed in the DR.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
That is EXACTLY what happened to me by a street vendor in the Capital, right in front of a wary Dominican friend-who to this day cannot believe it happened.

It was a US$180 lesson for me, and the only time I've been scammed in the DR.

Interesting...it also happened to me in the Capital...in the parking lot of Hotel Riazor... and I lost almost the same amount! Exchanged $US 200 and wound up with about 800 pesos...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I caught one in the Capital....

Back around 1993, I was with my first Dominican girlfriend, applying for a K1 Visa. The street vendor guy started the change routine and I caught on to it. My girlfriend got p*ssed at me because I grabbed her by the hand and said lets go. She did not see the scam and b*tched at me for yanking her away from the guy.

Took her a long time to get over it, she sworn there was no problem and that I was just being rude to her.

Don SantiagoDR

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not euros he said 'dolares'
That may be his scam, to quote the Euro price to get your dollar biz.
Once you've already stopped and pulled out your cash and discover the discrepancy, then he'll go into his salespitch to change your US dollars.
One way or another, you should never bother with those guys.
It's too risky.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I've done it a few times in Santiago, no problem, but never offered 10 pesos over the going dollar exchange rate.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
For being Greedy, I lost a LOOOT.

Second time in my life.

I tracked the guy back several months later, with the help of some high-rank cop friends got the guy arrested, he spent 3 days in a cell, signed with me a repayment plan in Fiscalia, and never got to pay a dime.
Too bad he was not sent to a prison, fiscal could not do that because he was not arrested in flagrante delito and I did not file a complaint on the day of scam. So he frightened him with the usual buh-buh to signing a repayment plan, so as to have a base for further action.

I was yet too busy to pursue his arrest for failure to comply with the Fiscal's orders, but on one of my next trips to the Capital I will follow up.

This was the scam:

At some point a guy hands me over the card at Higuey terminal in Parque Enriquillo. Says cambio and other BS.
At one point, long time later, I call.
I was to change 4000 dollars (ok, stop laughing on me at this point), I was offered 34 when the rate was 32.
I arrange with the guy to meet in front of my bank. I am with 2 friends. He comes alone (at that point). He brings a LOTS of 2000's and lots of hundreds.
I take 4000 dollars from the account. He has pesos. I tell him we go check the pesos inside the bank (that it would be false was my concern). He says OK, but he cannot go in because the bank people would get to see we make "illegal operation" and could get him into trouble. He gives money to a friend of mine to take them to a bank to check. I wait with another friend with the guy one block away. I knew the guy would try to pull a scam. I call my friend and tell him to deposit pesos into my pesos account. But the friend is already out of bank and it was after 5 so the bank closed, could not get back. BAAAD luck.
Ok, so he comes back and says that the bank says 2000's are OK. We count the money and it?s off 4000 pesos. The guy says oh, right the rate is different, and he puts in 8- 500 pesos notes. We sit and start counting, the guy always trying to get me confused. At one point he got rolled lots of 2000's in his palm so as to remove it in a good moment. He tried to pull various scams but I always caught him and recounted. I knew he was going to scam so I was looking and looking and looking. I guess I should have terminated the transaction right there (I still had dollars on me) and walk away. But my fault, I felt unbeatable, smarter than the guy, he would not scam me, that's what I thought. I finally made sure money was OK and all counted for in MY HAND and I handed it over to one of the guys that were with me, a good friend, and a huge guy. The "cambiador" asks for the dollars, I give him the 4000 bucks. At that point he says he needs to check them. I say OK, but the bank's closed. He says we would go to Caribe Express nearby, couple of blocks away. We say OK, we have a car, let's go. He says no, we would walk. Should be another warning for me, but at that point I already has pesos, all counted for. But after walking 3 blocks, my friends tell me they are seeing some suspicious movements, 2 motorcycles etc. The guy also makes a phone call, saying that I am with 2 guys. At that point I knew we might be walking into ambush. I stopped him (we were still on the busy street) and told him that deals over. He takes the dollars and walks, we are not walking with him. At that point, I was not thinking clearly, the fear was taking over, so I made a mistake to concede when he asked for the pesos. I just wanted to have this terminated. I asked my friend to give him pesos, and he gave me dollars. I started to count dollars, and while counting the guy took off on one of the motorcycles. I finished counting, and I was short of 10- 100 bills. He would not pull the scam had my awareness of the situation not gotten down, could just tell him to f*** off with the dollars he already had at hand, or not hand over the pesos before finishing the counting. Well, after the war, everybody's a general.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
For being Greedy, I lost a LOOOT.

Second time in my life.

I tracked the guy back several months later, with the help of some high-rank cop friends got the guy arrested, he spent 3 days in a cell, signed with me a repayment plan in Fiscalia, and never got to pay a dime.
Too bad he was not sent to a prison, fiscal could not do that because he was not arrested in flagrante delito and I did not file a complaint on the day of scam. So he frightened him with the usual buh-buh to signing a repayment plan, so as to have a base for further action.

I was yet too busy to pursue his arrest for failure to comply with the Fiscal's orders, but on one of my next trips to the Capital I will follow up.

This was the scam:

At some point a guy hands me over the card at Higuey terminal in Parque Enriquillo. Says cambio and other BS.
At one point, long time later, I call.
I was to change 4000 dollars (ok, stop laughing on me at this point), I was offered 34 when the rate was 32.
I arrange with the guy to meet in front of my bank. I am with 2 friends. He comes alone (at that point). He brings a LOTS of 2000's and lots of hundreds.
I take 4000 dollars from the account. He has pesos. I tell him we go check the pesos inside the bank (that it would be false was my concern). He says OK, but he cannot go in because the bank people would get to see we make "illegal operation" and could get him into trouble. He gives money to a friend of mine to take them to a bank to check. I wait with another friend with the guy one block away. I knew the guy would try to pull a scam. I call my friend and tell him to deposit pesos into my pesos account. But the friend is already out of bank and it was after 5 so the bank closed, could not get back. BAAAD luck.
Ok, so he comes back and says that the bank says 2000's are OK. We count the money and it?s off 4000 pesos. The guy says oh, right the rate is different, and he puts in 8- 500 pesos notes. We sit and start counting, the guy always trying to get me confused. At one point he got rolled lots of 2000's in his palm so as to remove it in a good moment. He tried to pull various scams but I always caught him and recounted. I knew he was going to scam so I was looking and looking and looking. I guess I should have terminated the transaction right there (I still had dollars on me) and walk away. But my fault, I felt unbeatable, smarter than the guy, he would not scam me, that's what I thought. I finally made sure money was OK and all counted for in MY HAND and I handed it over to one of the guys that were with me, a good friend, and a huge guy. The "cambiador" asks for the dollars, I give him the 4000 bucks. At that point he says he needs to check them. I say OK, but the bank's closed. He says we would go to Caribe Express nearby, couple of blocks away. We say OK, we have a car, let's go. He says no, we would walk. Should be another warning for me, but at that point I already has pesos, all counted for. But after walking 3 blocks, my friends tell me they are seeing some suspicious movements, 2 motorcycles etc. The guy also makes a phone call, saying that I am with 2 guys. At that point I knew we might be walking into ambush. I stopped him (we were still on the busy street) and told him that deals over. He takes the dollars and walks, we are not walking with him. At that point, I was not thinking clearly, the fear was taking over, so I made a mistake to concede when he asked for the pesos. I just wanted to have this terminated. I asked my friend to give him pesos, and he gave me dollars. I started to count dollars, and while counting the guy took off on one of the motorcycles. I finished counting, and I was short of 10- 100 bills. He would not pull the scam had my awareness of the situation not gotten down, could just tell him to f*** off with the dollars he already had at hand, or not hand over the pesos before finishing the counting. Well, after the war, everybody's a general.

Laurel and Hardy and Charlie Chaplin thrown in for good measure.:laugh: :laugh:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I street traded US$ for Mongolian tugrug in Ulan Bator with a Mogolian Triad once but I would NEVER do it here. Which probably tells you something..........;)
Sure does ............ the street traders here don't have any Mongolian tugrug to exchange!! (or maybe you have run out of U$D'sss) ~ Grahame.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I use some of the traders in Sosua that hang out near the corner of La Roca. I have dealt with them for years and they are 100% honest. The same guys are there every day. When people are in the same place every day for many years they are honest. In the Capital it is different. Kind of like dealing on the streets of NY. You just don?t.

If I need to trade Pesos for dollars, which is more difficult I can do it for a very small premium. So not all street traders are con artists. What you do need to know is the right rate so you can bargain.

Now take Cabarete, if you live here you should already know this, the rates are all the same in the main part of Cabarete. They are always lower than you should be getting. However, if you go to Vimenca you will always get more than at any Cambio in Cabarete.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i also exchange pesos at the corner by La Roca and never had a problem. if i don't like his rate, there is an exchange right there by the pharmacy so he stands to lose a lot of business if he's not honest. he usually gives me a better rate when i have 50 and 100 US bills. is there a demand for those bills in the DR ?