Inversores

Soul Siesta

Jun 2, 2005
www.brothersandsistersonline.com
Need your help/ an estimate.

I'm considering an inversores to run any and all items in the following apartment (approximately 1200 square feet); 5 a/c's (one in each bedroom-3, one in service room, one in living room/kitchen area , refrigerator, 2 tv's, cable, phone, dvd player, radio, 2 ceiling fans. About what cost am I looking at? Thanks!

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
A lot depends on the size of the air conditioning units, but you are looking at around $5000.00USD plus installation and the cost of the batteries which are around $100.00 each - That's a total of around $8000.00USD.

Most people will tell you need that it's not possible to have an inverter to run this size of load but I have 6 air conditioners now that are running off of two large inverters and 24 batteries just fine.

Feb 7, 2007
You are looking for about 12kW inverter... (calculating 1.7 kw usage on most airconditionings 12-18.000 BTU) ... would cost about 80.000 pesos, if you get it built by a technician. If you but it off the shelf (which I don't theink there are 12kW inverters) would cost substantially more.
2.5 kw inverter bought at store costs about 20.000 pesos (built, about 15.000 pesos). Taking into consideration 5x greater output, it would cost 5x more (even though this is a rough math, e.g. 5 kw inverter costs about a double of 2.5 kw inverter). But you better consult inverter technician, there are many listings in the classified ads.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Need your help/ an estimate.

I'm considering an inversores to run any and all items in the following apartment (approximately 1200 square feet); 5 a/c's (one in each bedroom-3, one in service room, one in living room/kitchen area , refrigerator, 2 tv's, cable, phone, dvd player, radio, 2 ceiling fans. About what cost am I looking at? Thanks!
This is not a wise way to go.
Unless you're going to be using teenie weenie super efficient AC's, the purchase costs, wear & tear on the equipment, (specially batteries) and the high operating costs are prohibitive.
Assuming that all is well in paradise and that the city power is a full 110 volts plus, you would lose 20% power while on inverter and the same recharging.
As an example, I have an AC unit here that draws 7 amps when cruising.
If you have 5 of those plus your other equipment, your draw would be approx. 40 amps.
Assuming you have frequent power failures as is mostly the case in the DR, you would be wasting a constant 8 amps (20% of 40 amps), which is the equivalent to the consumption of 45 efficiency light bulbs, or like running 4 hair dryers 24 hours per day.
In real life, your losses will be even greater, as there is a presumption of new equipment, and even if yours is going to be all new, it won't stay new for long.
Your situation calls for a generator.
What would you do after the batteries run out?
With that type of consumption, you'd probably only get 4 hours out of 24 batteries, from a full charge.

The best scenario is to have an inverter, approx. double the capacity of your typical consumption, and have it running everything except the high amperage devices, (like AC's, hot water tanks, pumps) and have a generator that has the capacity to run it all, plus charge the batteries.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You are looking for about 12kW inverter... (calculating 1.7 kw usage on most airconditionings 12-18.000 BTU) ... would cost about 80.000 pesos, if you get it built by a technician. If you but it off the shelf (which I don't theink there are 12kW inverters) would cost substantially more.

Could use multiple Inverters, not saying running that much power off batteries is a good idea, just that multiple Inverters may be more feasible.

Also, incase of an Inverter or battery problem, you would not be "down" totally...... Just that one leg would be off-line!

Don't put ALL your eggs in one basket!

Don SantiagoDR

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Do IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

First of all that 80,000 peso "Guestimate"is a JOKE!
A "Planta"is the only way to carry that load.
Listen to "ROCKY"! Better yet,visit him and see his "Set Up"!
CC

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Yeah,

24 batteries would cost you around 80,000 alone

I will try to get by Trace today and get the latest prices on their different power Inverters.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
As usual, Rocky is right on the money. An inverter-generator config. is the way to go and is no more costly than the the total for the battery-inverter combos of the size you would need (and, as Rocky correctly points out, will not work). I have "Rocky" configuration" with a 12KW diesel generator that cost RD$350,000 including the auto switch (a US$1500-$2000 item). When Edenorte behaves I hardly use it, but when the street power is shakey like nowadays, I pop it on to recharge the batteries. None of my heavy equipment (2, 24K BTU aircons, water heater, pool pump etc. ) are connected to my 3.6K inverter with 8 batteries. The inverter is connected only to the necessities (fridge, basic lights, computer, phone, fans etc). This system is reliable in all conditions.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You can go to Xantrex Technology Inc. and compare all there inverters and specifications. My DR 3624 does not handle the SURGE and "pops" the breaker. I had a SW 5548 Plus with automatic generator start shipped down and have no problems with SURGE and can disconnect from the grid during peak power usage and go to generator as/when needed. (Could not find the SW series in the D.R.)

C

Chip00

Thanks for the info! I think I may just go with the generator alone (with enough power to handle all items). I'd rather just have one "thing" to deal with instead of both a generator and inverter/batteries.

the problem with the generator alone is that when Edenorte is sending the power intermittently your generator will be cutting on and off frequently -which is not good because of the wear and tear on the motor.

For example where I live in Santiago sometimes the power may cycle on and off up to 20 times a day! Since the starting of the motor is what causes the most wear you are talking about reducing the life expectancy of you motor significantly. It wouldn't be long before the rings start to lose their seal.

You best bet is buy a DR built inverter (in addition to the generator) like about 3.6 kW with 8 batteries. That will set you back about RD50-60K at the most. If anybody gives you higher prices send me a pm and I'll give you the number of the fellow that did mine. I've had it a year and have had hardly any problems and the ones that I've had they've been quick to resolve.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Is Xantrex made in USA? Duty free?

Can I bring one or two inverters to the DR in my luggage duty free?

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Figures

I do understand the generator stance, however here is what I just had installed and what is working just fine for me.

My reason for going with an inverter set up was mainly because I didn't want the noise or hassle of a gas or diesel generator.

1. Transformer - Existing: 15KV / New: 25KV - cost: $1500.00USD

2. Inverter - Existing: 5.5kv / New: (2) 8kv - cost: $2300.00

3. Batteries - Existing: 12 / New: 26 - cost: $2600.00

4. Installation of new system: $1000.00 + wiring materials = total $1300

What the electrician did was split the system up in to (3) parts.

1. General electric (lights for the house) now runs on the 5.5kv inverter with 8 batteries.

2. Air conditioners - 2 = 22,000btu / 3 = 9000btu ---) (1) 8kv = 2*22kbtu //
(1) 8kv = 3*9kbtu

The system is working beautifully and although I understand the wear and tear on the batteries the long run cost is much less than running a generator even when figuring replacement or reconditioning of the batteries once a year.

I understand that this system is not for everyone however for my own personal reasons did not want a fossil fuel generating plant.

Please forgive me if I don't have all the exact figures ie KVA or kw however the digit numbers are correct.

If you'd like to see the set up and how it works just PM me and I'd be happy to show you around and recommend my electrician.

Jack

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
It is not duty free if you get caught. The SW 5548 is about 135 lbs. Have fun with your lug...gage.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Thanks for the info! I think I may just go with the generator alone (with enough power to handle all items). I'd rather just have one "thing" to deal with instead of both a generator and inverter/batteries.

That would be rather costly, SS, because generators cannot be run at less than full output i.e. if you have 12KW you get the full 12KW whenever the machine is on whether you need it at that moment or not. Most sizable generators are rated to burn 1 gal./hr. of diesel currently costing RD99/gal. ($3.00). Think of the many hours during the day (and nights too when the weather is cool like now) that you are using very little power. It's not unusual to lose street power for 5-6 hours during the day or night (or both!), why lock yourself in the position of having to pay $15-$18/hr. when you don't need it all and an inverter and a few batteries will get you through at no extra cost? I'm not even counting the cost of wear and tear on your expensive generator. Finally, if you have no inverter in your system, watcha gonna do if (when) the machine breaks down (the engines are similar to those used in diesel cars) and you have ZERO power? I've learned in my short time here (and from listening to the likes of Rocky and others) that you should always have a back-up for your back-up.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
What do you do......

.......when you're not getting enough hours of street juice to fully recharge all those batteries? BTW would love to know where you bought 2 8K inverters for $2300for when it comes time to replace mine.

I do understand the generator stance, however here is what I just had installed and what is working just fine for me.

My reason for going with an inverter set up was mainly because I didn't want the noise or hassle of a gas or diesel generator.

1. Transformer - Existing: 15KV / New: 25KV - cost: $1500.00USD

2. Inverter - Existing: 5.5kv / New: (2) 8kv - cost: $2300.00

3. Batteries - Existing: 12 / New: 26 - cost: $2600.00

4. Installation of new system: $1000.00 + wiring materials = total $1300

What the electrician did was split the system up in to (3) parts.

1. General electric (lights for the house) now runs on the 5.5kv inverter with 8 batteries.

2. Air conditioners - 2 = 22,000btu / 3 = 9000btu ---) (1) 8kv = 2*22kbtu //
(1) 8kv = 3*9kbtu

The system is working beautifully and although I understand the wear and tear on the batteries the long run cost is much less than running a generator even when figuring replacement or reconditioning of the batteries once a year.

I understand that this system is not for everyone however for my own personal reasons did not want a fossil fuel generating plant.

Please forgive me if I don't have all the exact figures ie KVA or kw however the digit numbers are correct.

If you'd like to see the set up and how it works just PM me and I'd be happy to show you around and recommend my electrician.

Jack

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Trace Inverters - Prices as of March 7, 2007

I checked with Trace, I personally like Trace. I have had a 3.6 kw Inverter for 10 years now, and NO PROBLEMS.....

Square Wave Inverters:

0.5 kw - $11,200 pesos
1.0 kw - $14,000 pesos
1.5 kw - $25,300 pesos
2.4 kw - $29,900 pesos
3.6 kw - $38,000 pesos

Sine Wave Inverters:

4.0 kw -- $92,300 pesos
5.5 kw - $115,200 pesos

Trace Batteries:

#115 - $3,300 / $3,140 discounted
#135 - $5,700 / $5,550 discounted

I have used the #115's and the #135's - and don't think they are worth the extra money, both sets lasted me about 4 years. Ofcourse time is not an accurate measurement, since it depends on the availability of electricity during the 2 different sets of 4 years....

I also have a 4.0 kw diesel generator for backup to my backup. The two times I needed it in 2 years, was because the power lines were down, and it took days for them to fix it. Running the generator for 4 hours will charge the 8 batteries, and they will last 12-15 hours or more on my usage (No air conditioner).

MovieMouth:

That would be rather costly, SS, because generators cannot be run at less than full output i.e. if you have 12KW you get the full 12KW whenever the machine is on whether you need it at that moment or not.

That just does not sound right MovieMouth, then why would the generator run harder when the load increases?

Don SantiagoDR