Cabarete Huelga Today, March 7th

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Don't know the details but one of our employees coming from the East, can't get through.
All he knows is that it's a huelga.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
My employees are saying the taxi's (carritos) are not running today between POP and Rio San Juan. Lots of people standing on the side of the road waiting for a ride. No burning tires, though.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Don't know the details but one of our employees coming from the East, can't get through.
All he knows is that it's a huelga.

the road is open, however the publicos are on a strike (until this afternoon)...

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
It said in the Newspapers yesterday that the carros publicos would have "huelgas supresas" today!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
It said in the Newspapers yesterday that the carros publicos would have "huelgas supresas" today!

What a coincidence! my informant (cali?) in Cabarete is known as "caco 'e peri?dico".... ;-)

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
Wasnt really much of a "huelga" more of a peaceful protest. Hundreds and hundreds of guagua and publicos lined the road and all the drivers just kind of hung around talking and laughing very few military and police. Not much to report. I also heard it was in protest of Caribe Tours expanding into Cabarete and taking away thier income. Makes sense I guess.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
My informant, 'Caco 'e peri?dico', tells me that the situation is far from over, and could get worse... The government transportation authorities (OTTT) is adamant to revoke the measure that allows Caribe Tours and Metro Bus to service the route. There has been arrests this afternoon, including the secretary general of the sindicate (Federaci?n de Transportistas de Puerto Plata, CONATRA). More than 1800 transportation units are on strike. The communities of Sos?a, Cabarete, Gaspar Hern?ndez, R?o San Juan, Nagua, Cabrera, S?nchez, Saman? have been affected...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And here's the report of the arrest of Fabio Matos and others. You need to scroll down to get to the Puerto Plata material because the first half page is about the protests in Navarrete, Licey al Medio and Bonao.
El Nacional, la voz de todos

It says they intend continuing until OTTT Director comes to PP and gives an explanation & revokes the measure in favour of Metro & Caribe Tours.

Also here
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This is silly (but not unexpected for here). Caribe and Metro should go wherever they have business that wants them and if the cabs, guaguas and motoconchos dont like it, they should figure out a way to provide a better alternative...the DR, for better or worse, is still a "free market"...