A hair question....

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
I'm going to be in the DR for 2 months and wanted to know about Dominican Hair Salons.

1) Does anyone know if they do perms/relaxers (for coarser hair) ? And what is the typical cost?

2) What is the typical cost for just a wash & set(lavado y tratamiento dominicano) ?

Thanks all !!!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
you will be in hair heaven! they do everything for about 1/10 the price in US. i know women that go to the salon at least once a week. enjoy.........

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
1. Yes -depends on the amount of hair you have.

2. wash and blow dry is between 100 and 150 pesos - or 3 to 5 US - but that depends - you have to get local pricing from a local salon, NOT a tourist salon.

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
Wow, hair salon advice that isn't in the dominicans abroad forum!
Thanks this is useful actually, everytime I visit, I always struggle with my pelo malo. Didn't realise dominican salons were that cheap!

C

Chip00

I'm going to be in the DR for 2 months and wanted to know about Dominican Hair Salons.

1) Does anyone know if they do perms/relaxers (for coarser hair) ? And what is the typical cost?

2) What is the typical cost for just a wash & set(lavado y tratamiento dominicano) ?

Thanks all !!!

Even though I'm a guy and bald at that I do know a little about this stuff as I had to coordinate everything for the wife back in the States. Anyway now that we are in the DR I still ask my wife how much she pays - why, well for one a friend of her sister "convinced" my wife that her treatment, etc. was worth RD900. Of course the hairdresser knew that my wife is the wife of a gringo. Nonetheless I and my wife's family all told her not to go back to that salon.

You can find salons here that will charge gringo prices all the time and some when they think they can get away with it. Always verify the price before sitting down in the chair! A hair wash with their products will run you between RD100 to RD350 depending the treatment. For a relaxing job, that will set you back around RD250+ depending on the amount of hair.

You can also bring your own products to a lot of salons and they will charge you less.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
one day i caught my wife half way down the block with her hair in rollers. i asked her where she was going with her hair like that, she looks at the mirror twice before leaving the house and once again when she sits down in the car, parked 50 feet from the last mirror, so i was surprised to see her walking in the street. "to the salon" she replied. i told her hair hair was already in rollers and so why as bother to go the salon. she said that they were going to dry and comb it. it is so cheap that i have a girl that comes to my place every 2 weeks to give me a manicure, once a month for a pedicure. enjoy.........

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Thanks for the info....

I cannot beleive that it is really that cheap....GOD, I cannot wait to get my hair done twice a week !!! Here in Canada, it is very expensive, even the products are killer !!

Thanks for all the info !!!