Article on Washington Heights...

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/nyregion/thecity/04domi.html?pagewanted=1

Here is an article in NY Times about Washington Heights and how it has been changing. I went to the Heights 2 weeks ago for the first time in over a year and I did notice a lot more hipster type transplants there and wondered if there would be tension between the Domincans and the newcomers.

Perhaps a sign of the times I don't think it was by accident that an empanada vendor (in fact I am pretty sure it was the same one mentioned in the article on 181st) tried to charge me $3 for 2 empananadas. I thought for sure that they used to be $1 each but sat back and watched 3 Dominicans pay $1 each for theirs. I then pointed out the "mistake" to the guy who sheepishly gave me back my dollar pretending it was accidental but boiling inside knowing he was caught.

I am seeing similar transformation around where I live in Jersey City - many older Irish Americans, followed by immigrants from Latin American countries, and now people moving out of more expensive parts of Manhattan.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Interesting article,
Washington Heights a/k/a WaHi, is definitely getting gentrified, I've seen many neighborhoods go through what the Heights is experiencing now. It always start with the Hipsters and Artists, who don't mind living in unchartered territories, then comes the Yuppies with their Starbucks & Connecticut Muffins and wah-lah, Gentrified!

100% Platano

Feb 20, 2007
Where all these people come from?

Hi, I've been living in Washington Heights most of my life, I was born in DR and raised here in New York and I've been wondering if Washington Heights is a Dominican neighborhood and it covers all of Manhattan north of 155 street where all those white people that ive seen around Fort Washington Avenue north of 181 street come from? I was in shock when I was at 187 street & Fort Washington Avenue, I thought to myself what are these people doing here and if they live up here. I thought all of this area was Dominican as well. Everytime I ride the A train in Washington Heights I see a lot of white people and they usually use the 190 & 181 street stations. Are they trying to replace us Dominicans that live up here? I felt so strange when I saw this that I never walked around there again. I always stay east of Broadway.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
The area has changed quite a bit. I think alot of Dominicans are being forced to the Bronx. The Dominican Population in the Bronx has increased dramatically over the last few years.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Are they trying to replace us Dominicans that live up here? I felt so strange when I saw this that I never walked around there again. I always stay east of Broadway.

How do you think the Irish, Jews, Greeks, etc. felt when the Dominicans first started moving in?

Are you afraid of people who are not Dominicans?

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
My family lives in Washington Heights and I lived there for a number of years before I moved to the Dominican Republic. The reason Washington Heights is becoming so gentrified is because it is just too expensive to live downtown. As more and more people want to live in NYC, lots of areas are benefiting from the influx of young professionals: Jersey City, Brooklyn, Hoboken, Washington Heights, etc. These areas were dumps ten years ago.

The problem with the influx is that property prices go up and somebody has to leave the neighborhood. In all honesty, I don't even see this as a problem because neighborhoods become safer and more jobs are created. This is what will happen to Washington Heights eventually. I may be half Dominican but I am not afraid to say that Washington Heights is embarrassing at times because of its inhabitants. Just as Dominicans throw garbage in the Dominican Republic, they also do so in Washington Heights. How can Dominicans be so neat in keeping their home (ex. leaving the plastic on the furniture), but toss garbage and ruin their neighborhood? Also, take a walk down Riverside Drive from about 167 to 157 (upper part) you'll be greeted with dog crap the whole way! No such thing as curbing your dog in the Heights. I've gotten into many battles with people over both of these issues but it all comes down to a complete indifference for their surroundings and total lack of education.

I'm glad the neighborhood is gentrifying. Maybe if I ever move back I'll be able to sleep without car radios blasting at 3am on a Wed night, walk down Broadway without tripping over garbage and stroll down Riverside without stepping in dog crap!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I may be half Dominican but I am not afraid to say that Washington Heights is embarrassing at times because of its inhabitants.

I'm glad the neighborhood is gentrifying. Maybe if I ever move back I'll be able to sleep without car radios blasting at 3am on a Wed night, walk down Broadway without tripping over garbage and stroll down Riverside without stepping in dog crap!

well make sure you have lots of money for rent, because if when you come back rents will probably triple once the people who have lived in those buildings for years move out.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's what I think anyway...
The entire island of Manhattan is becoming one large upper middle class / upper class bubble and such is probably spreading to the shores of the other boroughs of NYC.

BTW, Manhattan only covers 8% of the total land area of NYC, so its not as if poor people have nowhere else to go and find a place to live in NYC. They will have to commute to Manhattan since two-thirds of all jobs in NYC are on Manhattan, but that's what the subway, public buses, and taxis are for! Manhattan is simply becoming 22 square miles of upper middle class / upper class living.

And that's nothing compared to whats happening in some towns along the coast in Fairfield County, Connecticut. The extremely few poor neighborhoods left are either being gentrified through recycling of old buildings or they are being demolished to construct luxury condominiums and apartments. The local joke goes something like this "where will the poor people live?", the answer: "in Bridgeport".

BTW, Bridgeport is considered to be a dump, because its a very poor city with all the problems anyone would try to get away from.

-NALs

Last edited:

AnnieCristine

Apr 4, 2007
similar occurances in brooklyn. my parents bought property in bushwick right right across the street from a housing project---they renovated it and all the tenants are young professionals---2 teachers, a journalist, a fashion student etc. i remember when that neighborhood was strictley black and latino families. now i see guys that resemble chris martin from cold play walking thier pugs. i wont lie,the nieghborhood has not transformed completley but the demographic is definately startin to change.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
The area has changed quite a bit. I think alot of Dominicans are being forced to the Bronx. The Dominican Population in the Bronx has increased dramatically over the last few years.

Yep. I think that's it... I moved to the Bronx from Queens. I will be happy if more Dominicans start moving to the bronx, that means they would have more dominican eatery places , because it seems that all the good Dominican restaurants are in Washington Heights!!! :bunny:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I used to live up in da heights and inwood about 12-15 years ago.

There has always been a white presence up there....lots of domincans...but plenty of white folks too. There is one particular enclave, near the river, that has always been very white and very affluent.

I must say tho. I was just up at club on 177 last weekend (it was great!). but yeah...even tho the neighborhood definitely still has a very strong domincan identity...i could definitely see a younger and whiter and more "hipster" presence. In the past there was a white presence...but it was more white immigrants from russia, poland etc. I saw many more younger proffessionals up there this time....and i actualy ran into some people from the downtown scene at the club (they would NEVER had been there back when i lived there).

I have been in jersey city for about almost 10 years now....and even this place is getting more gentrified. Not so much where i live (journal square)...but downtown is untouchable...due to the close commute to wall street.

I have rent a rent stabalized apt....and if i moved out he would fix up the place and get at least double what i currently pay. I want to get a new place here, as my landlord totaly sucks, but i totaly cant afford the rents in my current neighborhood...and i refuse to live more than a few block from a subway.

The heights still has its flava....but for the next few years i am sure the hipsters will stay west of bway and/or near by.

Heh..i had an apt offer ages ago in williamsburgh in brooklyn. 450 for a one br.....forghetabout that these days. I used to live in the lower east side...still has flava..but a new renter would be out of luck.

I think what sucks...is that people move into an affordable area for various reasons....and once you get settled in it quickly gets outpriced.

ahhh..but such is life in the big apple no?

i hear my old apt in inwood (we paid 500 for) is now going for 2000 a mo! yikes!!!

JOKL

Oct 30, 2006
How do you think the Irish, Jews, Greeks, etc. felt when the Dominicans first started moving in?

Are you afraid of people who are not Dominicans?

Not.. jews, irish, greeks...made economic/political progress and moved to better neighborhood, leaving poor Dominicans in such places. What is going on is tha NYC have very little middle class,they have gone for Long Island or Westchester or out state. Politician, and bussiness want middle class to stay because they spend money.
this movement for keeping middle class in the city started with the increment of the rent in WH and the remodeling of buildings, new stores( not bodegas porfa) etc.. This may have success because Dominicans have gone very little or not where in the economic/political spectrum of NYC.Sad to say ..they will be push it out.