A job needed for a USA citizen in the Dominican Republic

The_DR_Is_Life

Mar 7, 2007
I am a 36 year old USA citizen with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice. I am seriously thinking about moving to the Dominican Republic permanently after two separate trips. I would need a job once I got to Santo Domingo, Santigo, or Puerto Plata. How hard is it for an American to find a job in the Dominican Republic making at least 800 to 1000 a month USA dollars? I would need to rent an apartment, utilities, food, transportation,etc. I met Canadien women who have jobs on the beach in the restaurants in Cabarete who only make 200 USA dollars per month. I speak fluent English and a moderate amount of Spanish. Will being a graduate of an American university help me in the Dominican Republic job market? How much Spanish should I speak? What area of the country should I move to initially? Santo Domingo may be too overwhelming.

C

Chip00

I am a 36 year old USA citizen with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice. I am seriously thinking about moving to the Dominican Republic permanently after two separate trips. I would need a job once I got to Santo Domingo, Santigo, or Puerto Plata. How hard is it for an American to find a job in the Dominican Republic making at least 800 to 1000 a month USA dollars? I would need to rent an apartment, utilities, food, transportation,etc. I met Canadien women who have jobs on the beach in the restaurants in Cabarete who only make 200 USA dollars per month. I speak fluent English and a moderate amount of Spanish. Will being a graduate of an American university help me in the Dominican Republic job market? How much Spanish should I speak? What area of the country should I move to initially? Santo Domingo may be too overwhelming.

I'm glad you like our wonderful paradise. However, it may be diffucult to find a job making the money you want. It can be done but mainly through the embassies or major international companies. There will be a lot of competion as you must know - what do you have that will distinguish you from others who would love such a lucrative job?

As far as learning Spanish fluently it can only add to the experience and happiness here.

With regard to where you need to move - keep in mind that this is not the US where you can go just about anywhere and get a job - on the contrary this is a super tight job market. Check out Chris recent post for jobs for gringos and go from there.

suerte

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Love it! :) If you really want to tap into a knowledgeable source, there is a poster called Nals who runs the polls in the Polls Forum. He knows a lot about the jobs market in the DR. I suggest you send him a PM or email.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Let's get things on a real basis. There is no 'job-market' waiting for you in the DR. Being a USA citizen does not count for beans.... It is not about finding the 'market'. There are many many Dominican's out of jobs. A job is not a sure bet ... like I have such and such degree, so I should get such and such job. You have to firstly be flexible, you have to network, network, network. And you may be lucky and find something. Work on your Spanish and become fluent, and your chances will improve. Have some money behind you and come and live in the DR for a period of time and learn the ropes.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Let's get things on a real basis.

I'll second that, except I thought the post was a windup. If they were 'real' a 36 year old with a degree in criminal justice would have to have searched the forums for info before making their first post........... wouldn't they? So they should have already accessed the reality check you have given............?

I looked at the wording & the fact that it is a first time poster & thought this has to be someone having a joke. Which is why I responded as I did. I enjoyed the joke, btw. :)

If it isn't someone having a joke, well I'm lost for words.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The OP should also know the the Dominican Republic justice system is based on French law and can be very confusing to an American. Good luck

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am a 36 year old USA citizen with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice. QUOTE]

What do you do at age 36 in The USA with a BA in "Criminal Justice"?
Are you a court reporter or a paralegal, get real.
Unless you do business over the internet or have several microsoft certifications, get used to making $RD5000 a month!

tambo'

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Shack up with one of those Canadian women and together you will have $400.00 a month..Mabye $500.00 since you have a BA.....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The OP should also know the the Dominican Republic justice system is based on French law and can be very confusing to an American. Good luck
Maybe he's from Louisiana...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Maybe he's from Louisiana...

Do they use the term USA there? ;) He refers to USA dollars, USA citizen......... as a Brit I used to use the term USA years ago, but even I've got with the programme now and use US. The only people who use USA tend to be non US citizens............. This person couldn't by any chance be a Brit. could he/she...............?

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Do they use the term USA there? ;) He refers to USA dollars, USA citizen......... as a Brit I used to use the term USA years ago, but even I've got with the programme now and use US. The only people who use USA tend to be non US citizens............. This person couldn't by any chance be a Brit. could he/she...............?

Hmm, good point. That is an eye brow raiser.

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006
Your best bet is to work for American companies or other companies in the first world over the internet / phone. That way you can charge your usual dollar rate.

jzkbbi

Mar 1, 2007

Louisiana Law is not based on the English Common Law, but rather the French Code Napolean.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You can most likely get a job in a call center without too much difficulty to get you started. They will pay enough for you to live decently. There are call centers on the south coast, Santiago and in Puertp Plata area.