DR driver license in the United States??

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Is it valid? The ones that we buy for a couple of thousands pesos... no questions asked. During theory "test" a girl comes to your computer and press the right answer... these ones valid in the US??

Hmmmm

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
An international driver's license must be obtained from your home country. This permit only verifies that you hold a valid license in your home country. It is your foreign driver's license that allows you to drive in the United States. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an international driving permit, as the United States does NOT issue international driver's licenses to foreign visitors.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
According to Dolores on this thread

http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/47699-rob-heres-one-you.html

Dominican Driver's licenses are valid to drive on, in the US. Other posters reported that they've used DR driver's licenses in various places in Europe as well. I do not know of anywhere that one can obtain an international driver's license in the DR. The DR is however a signatory to whatever international treaty governs international driver's licenses.

I don't know anyone that managed to obtain an international driver's license valid in other countries, in the DR.

Of course I'm not talking about those driver's licenses that you buy, but those that you get legitimately. I have no idea what will happen if you drive in the US on a 'bought' Dominican License. But if you are in an accident, I'm sure the insurance will have something to say - something like you'll have to pay all the costs for yourself, and the other party, yourself.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
According to Dolores on this thread

http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/47699-rob-heres-one-you.html

Dominican Driver's licenses are valid to drive on, in the US. Other posters reported that they've used the DR driver's licenses in various places in Europe as well. I do not know of anywhere that one can obtain an international driver's license in the DR. The DR is however a signatory to whatever international treaty governs international driver's licenses.

I don't know anyone that managed to obtain an international driver's license valid in other countries, in the DR.

Of course I'm not talking about those driver's licenses that you buy, but those that you get legitimately. I have no idea what will happen if you drive in the US on a 'bought' Dominican License. But if you are in an accident, I'm sure the insurance will have something to say - something like you'll have to pay all the costs yourself.

You get the "bought" license at exactly the same place as the "legitimate" one... No difference at all. I though maybe US was aware of this and did not allow these monkeylicenses in the US...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
You get the "bought" license at exactly the same place as the "legitimate" one... No difference at all. I though maybe US was aware of this and did not allow these monkeylicenses in the US...

Maybe you could be a good citizen and do the right thing like reporting this monkey licenses to the appropriate authorities...like the embassy of the US?????;)

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I know people that come here to NYC on tourist visas and drive around on their DR license. They've gotten stopped and the person that gets the ticket is the owner of the vehicle. I know because my mom's cousin got a ticket driving her Montero. The montero is registered under me and I'm the one who pays insurance - I got the ticket in the mail.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Maybe you could be a good citizen and do the right thing like reporting this monkey licenses to the appropriate authorities...like the embassy of the US?????;)

I am not a US citizen, no good one either... ;) and I am proud owner of a license.... :)