I need a Dominican Driver's license..

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Must be 10-15 threads about this Mike :)

Go and do the oral/written test, wait 45 days and take your full test.

coho

On Vacation!
Mar 4, 2007
HEY.......on that subject. Can one do the exam without having a cedula? As in Joe Gringo off the boat????

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Sorry about the mulitiple replies (why can't I edit my post?!) but let me be more detailed. Take your cedula, permanent residence card and another form of ID to the bank right next to the traffic department in Santiago. Go to the teller and tell them you want to pay los impuestos for a driver's license which, if I remember correctly, is about 1000 pesos. Once you have your receipt, then go to the traffic dept. and present your documentation, take the test. They'll give you a temp.license then return in 45 days for your permanent one.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Here's what I did:

For the record I do have residence and cedula.

I went to the Danish consulate and presented my Danish drivers license asking for a note that I could present Patty and Selma in the Dominican Department of Motor Vehicles. Just to speed up the issuing of a Dominican drivers license if that was possible.

It was.

With the note in hand I was shown to an office way in the back where someone who knew about checking papers or someone just letting me sit there for an hour while they pretended to check papers provided the necessary stamps.
After that the show was on:
1. Go to the eye doctor. Four people enter the room at the same time and are all asked to read the same line from the chart. Make sure you're the last of the four, then you can memorize the line when the first three reads it out and you'll pass the test even if you're blind.
2. Give a blood sample. It's the Dominican Red Cross taking the sample. If you have a valid card presenting your blood type that'll do.
3. Get your picture and finger print taken. Just like any US airport, same equipment.
4. Wait 15 minutes for your new Dominican drivers license.

It all cost me about 1500 pesos and took about 2 hours. No written or oral exams in dubious Dominican traffic laws of which you only need to learn one anyway: Stick your arm out the window and wave it about, then you can do anything you want and the rest of the traffic will know to give way and respect your actions.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

I went to the Danish consulate and presented my Danish drivers license asking for a note that I could present Patty and Selma in the Dominican Department of Motor Vehicles. Just to speed up the issuing of a Dominican drivers license if that was possible.

I did exactly the same with my UK license. The British consulate for a small fee will provide you with a letter stating your UK license is authentic. Unfortunately this is not possible if you have a US license, as the US consulate will not authenticate licenses here.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005

It was.

With the note in hand I was shown to an office way in the back where someone who knew about checking papers or someone just letting me sit there for an hour while they pretended to check papers provided the necessary stamps.
After that the show was on:
1. Go to the eye doctor. Four people enter the room at the same time and are all asked to read the same line from the chart. Make sure you're the last of the four, then you can memorize the line when the first three reads it out and you'll pass the test even if you're blind.
2. Give a blood sample. It's the Dominican Red Cross taking the sample. If you have a valid card presenting your blood type that'll do.
3. Get your picture and finger print taken. Just like any US airport, same equipment.
4. Wait 15 minutes for your new Dominican drivers license.

It all cost me about 1500 pesos and took about 2 hours. No written or oral exams in dubious Dominican traffic laws of which you only need to learn one anyway: Stick your arm out the window and wave it about, then you can do anything you want and the rest of the traffic will know to give way and respect your actions.

Same story for me except that it cost 350 pesos, but that was a exactly a year ago, maybe inflation raising it's ugly head. The eye test was exactly as described above, I did, however, cause a little sensation in the blood test when I insisted that the girl taking the sample change her gloves before starting. She seemed to think that changing the lance and just wearing gloves was enough. I had to explain that wearing gloves would protect her, changing them would protect me too. She eventually accepted my point and told me that she couldn't be expected to change gloves for every sample; I told her she could do what she liked as long as she put on new gloves before laying a finger on me or the lance.