Presidential visits to DR?

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
President Bush is off on a six day tour of Latin America. The Dominican Republic is not included on the itinerary. This led me to wonder, has any sitting US President ever paid an official state visit to the DR?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Didn't Clinton go there a couple of times while he was in office? I think that's why they fell in love with the place and now have a home there.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
President Bush is off on a six day tour of Latin America. The Dominican Republic is not included on the itinerary. This led me to wonder, has any sitting US President ever paid an official state visit to the DR?

Not one sitting US President has payed an official visit to the DR. I remember Lyndon B Joynson attending the inauguration of Juan Bosch Gavi?o as president in 1962. By the way, before running for the US Presidency, Richard Nixon was a registered lobbyist for the late Dominican President, Generalissimo Rafael Leonidas Trujilla Molina (aka 'El Jefe', or 'El Chief-o').

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Not one sitting US President has payed an official visit to the DR. I remember Lyndon B Joynson attending the inauguration of Juan Bosch Gavi?o as president in 1962. By the way, before running for the US Presidency, Richard Nixon was a registered lobbyist for the late Dominican President, Generalissimo Rafael Leonidas Trujilla Molina (aka 'El Jefe', or 'El Chief-o').

Juan Bosch was inaugurated president on February 27, 1963.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Juan Bosch was inaugurated president on February 27, 1963.

typo!!!

(Let me add that along with Vice President Lyndon Baines Johnson, and many Latin American heads of state, there was also present one of Juan Bosch's favorite guests, the Mexican comedian Cantinflas)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...here's another for the history buffs....

Guess what Vice President Lyndon B Johnson was served on Juan Bosch inaugural ball at the National Palace the night of February 27th 1963? A glass of mab? seibano (also known as mab? de bejuco indio), since one of Juan Bosch's first orders of business was to decree austerity measures for his government, including the prohibition to serve imported alcoholic beverages for his own inauguration.