Dominican Toilet Paper Habits

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
I was really surprised to find out that local Dominican's DON'T flush their toilet paper when they are done using it!? I remember seeing a sign at the Kite hotel stating the same thing."Please Don't Flush, blah blah"
I have seen the 4" pvc septic pipe at my house in the DR and it's the same diameter as the code here in Canada. We flush pretty much everything you can imagine here in Canada. Why not flush if the system is fine with taking it?
Seems like a smelly, unsanitary scenario to me but still, somehow, very entertaining!
Share any other Dominican ways I might be missing because they are fun!
Steve

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dominicans make a huge roll of toilet paper to clean their bottom. 2 dumps and the roll is gone. if they flush it, they will surely clog the toilet. They just don;t get it. Its such a waste to see how much paper they roll on their 4 fingers and only use one side and throw it away in the basket for everyone to see.
AZB

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Baskets next to the toilet (for the same purpose) are quite common in all Latin America afaik.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This was discussed at length a while back. The main reason giving for not flushing is because since most cities do not have good septic drainage systems and most houses are hooked up to a septic tank...and most toilet paper sold in The DR is not made to degrade in these septic tanks (maybe it has changed now) they don't want to clog it up.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Seems like a smelly, unsanitary scenario to me but still, somehow, very entertaining!
If the paper is folded properly it is neither smelly nor terribly unsanitary, no more so than Pampers, etc. I'd say you have a rather odd notion of entertainment, though.

Steve
Well, the ritual in which they disembowel their firstborn is often mildly amusing...

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Real reason is the rural installations from which many Domicans come usually had very narrow drain pipes which could easily clog, if they had drains at all. Sometimes it just dropped into a pit. Even in the cities some very old installations still have old piping made all the more narrow by artherosclerosis.

pma22222

Jun 27, 2006
Baskets next to the toilet (for the same purpose) are quite common in all Latin America afaik.

Yes, nanny I had for my girls, taught them to dispose of toilet paper in basket while i was living in central america. Took years to break them of the habit when they came home.

C

Chip00

If the paper is folded properly it is neither smelly nor terribly unsanitary, no more so than Pampers, etc. I'd say you have a rather odd notion of entertainment, though.

Well, the ritual in which they disembowel their firstborn is often mildly amusing...

I don't believe you want to use the term "disembowel" because it means to "remove the bowels". This was a very disturbing tatic they used in the middle ages to kill people.

C

Chip00

I was really surprised to find out that local Dominican's DON'T flush their toilet paper when they are done using it!? I remember seeing a sign at the Kite hotel stating the same thing."Please Don't Flush, blah blah"
I have seen the 4" pvc septic pipe at my house in the DR and it's the same diameter as the code here in Canada. We flush pretty much everything you can imagine here in Canada. Why not flush if the system is fine with taking it?
Steve

They do this here in the campo and the city basically to add life to the sewer system, whether an on-site septic tank or public gravity sanitary sewer system. Maintenance here for a lot of things is almost non existent, not to mention the construction methods and materials many times are inferior.

Have you ever noticed that whenevr someone takes one of those manhole covers what people do? They fill up the hole with garbage, branches and rocks! Then they call Ayuntamiento because their sewer is backing up!

Sep 19, 2005
you dont need a waste basket in the more modern toilets like this one.....in Constanza...

4i1f2g2.jpg

ha ha bob

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Vis-a-vis the cleaning of your touchole, please take the comment from the Arab with a grain of salt, ;-)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I always throw my toilet paper in the bowl and flush it. I have been doing this for 9 yrs now and not a single clogging problems in this country.
AZB

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I keep my tail clean, but I have never expereinced any problems flushing my paper down the drain no matter what part of the Island I am on. Perhaps I am just lucky.

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
I don't believe you want to use the term "disembowel" because it means to "remove the bowels". This was a very disturbing tatic they used in the middle ages to kill people.

When I think I'm smarter than someone else, I always ask the question, "Could it be that they are smarter than me?"

Hard to imagine, I know.

el_mujeron

Feb 21, 2007
Hi,
I am new to the cite. I am looking for a good Dominican Hair Salon in the Charlotte area. Have anyone heard of Carmen or Mercerdes on N Tryon in Charlotte. Please let me know of any please.

C

Chip00

Remember - stupid is as stupid does!

I for one toss the toilet paper in the can with the goods at my house - in fact I won't even let the wife put a trash can in there and we haven't had any problems yet.

Last edited:

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
ok

I have not decided yet which thread is more..........( I could think of allot of words to put in here but ........lol), this one or the one titled "what where you thinking". Thanks again for the chuckles. ;)