DR residency question

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I recently hired a lady in Santo Domingo to take us through the residency process. We did all the medical and x-ray stuff. Now she is telling me that they won't accept our birth certs unless they've been stamped by the DR cosulate in the US. Has anybody ever heard of this? It just seems unlikely.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I just called my imigration attory. in S.D. The certification is required for all provisional (first time) applications from ALL countries, not just the U.S.. I applied two months ago for my "final" and I am told that I do not have any problem. I will PM you with his name and number and can recommend him 100%. My wife went thru the process 2 years ago, and I'm finishing mine this year. Best of luck to all.

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
You may have to lie a little

My wife and I are trying to get our residency too. She just went to get our (and our kid's) BCs stamped this week.

The screener there asked why we needed them stamped and my wife told the truth (heaven forbid). Well, they told her that they can only stamp the BCs if they are needed outside of the country. They will not stamp them for purposes of obtaining residency in the DR. Unbelievable!!

Anyway, she made a big stink about it and they would not budge. So, now I have to go in and make up some story that will enable me to have them stamp the BCs.

Their suggestion to her was to fly to Miami and get them stamped.

Anyway, I suggest you not tell them that you are applying for residency. It may make it harder for you.

Good luck!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
My wife and I are trying to get our residency too. She just went to get our (and our kid's) BCs stamped this week.

The screener there asked why we needed them stamped and my wife told the truth (heaven forbid). Well, they told her that they can only stamp the BCs if they are needed outside of the country. They will not stamp them for purposes of obtaining residency in the DR. Unbelievable!!

Anyway, she made a big stink about it and they would not budge. So, now I have to go in and make up some story that will enable me to have them stamp the BCs.

Their suggestion to her was to fly to Miami and get them stamped.

Anyway, I suggest you not tell them that you are applying for residency. It may make it harder for you.

Good luck!

Very unclear? Where, as in Country/"screener/government, are you trying to get the Birth Certificates processed?

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Miami Consulate - Legalization

I just spoke with the consulate in Miami.
Mayra Robo
305-358-3220 Ext 201 (She speaks English.)
Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate legalization is $80.00 US per document.
You take the documents to the consulate in the morning and pick them up the next day.
Office hours are 9:00 - 2:30.