Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to live?

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Where to live?

There seem to have been a lot of people recently asking where is 'best' to live here. Apart from all the standard advice "try it out first', "don't buy straightaway", "learn Spanish", would it not be an idea to do a FACTUAL comparison between the different areas? I only know the south, have spent 2 days in the east, a few weeks in Barahona, and never ventured north of Santiago (beautiful I thought!). We could do something like beaches, house prices, nationalities, shopping, water sports etc, that was factual rather than opinions because if I was looking to come here now I wouldn't have a clue as everyone thinks their area is the best. For example Juan Dolio: good points - good beaches, caribbean sea so calm and good diving, but no windsurfing. Apartments on the beach from 200,000US$ up, apartments off the beach 60,000US$ up, houses 175,000US$ up. 2 golfcourses, 45 mins Santo Domingo, 25 mins airport (but no charter flights). Nearest charter flight airport 3 hours away (bad point when picking up friends who come to stay). Average restaurants (Bad point - no RIBS!!). Nearest town has 2 good supermarkets, good fruit and veg market and you can get most things there - 10 kms away. Not too many ex pats, mostly italian and some German and Canadian. A few US and even less British (shame). What do you think?

Matilda

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Each person has thier own deffinition of "best place to live. This would be another... pointless, angry debate that goes nowhere.

Just ask AZB.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Each person has thier own deffinition of "best place to live. This would be another... pointless, angry debate that goes nowhere.

Just ask AZB.
    That's why I said keep it factual as every time someone asks on this forum they get a personal veiwpoint and not the facts. yes it depends what they are looking for but sometimes they don't know. There is no reason why we can't give the facts such as type of restaurants, amount of ex pats, levels of crime (Listin diario do the odd good survey on that) and some people on this forum have so much knowledge it would be easier to pool it once that have to keep repeating it as each person asks. It is not a debate it is a list of facts for each place.

matilda

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

If you like ribs try Rockies in Sosua on the North Coast. I had to say it first because I know there are 20 of you waiting to do this. Any way Sosua is not a bad place to live . Cabarete , for windsurfing is a few miles away.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    That's why I said keep it factual as every time someone asks on this forum they get a personal veiwpoint and not the facts. yes it depends what they are looking for but sometimes they don't know. There is no reason why we can't give the facts such as type of restaurants, amount of ex pats, levels of crime (Listin diario do the odd good survey on that) and some people on this forum have so much knowledge it would be easier to pool it once that have to keep repeating it as each person asks. It is not a debate it is a list of facts for each place.

matilda
    "Facts" in this and most forums, news articles, TV.... are based on personal perception as in this forum. and at times slanted toward a personal adjenda. IE: Some rave about a restaurant/bar... whatever, that I would never enter. That does not make it a bad restaurant. just a place that I don't wish to enter... as an individual, that I am not comfortable with one or more factors of the establishment.

Just read the posts from the last couple of days. Some trying to "outdo" everyone... "this is the best".... this person or that person.... this town or that.

I AGREE. So much knowledge and information.. but the whole idea of an open forum opens the door to .... everyone and their points of view... Real or otherwise. Good luck.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The gloves are coming off in here!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    .. would it not be an idea to do a FACTUAL comparison between the different areas? ..
    Matilda
    Oh my God Matilda! ... We'll be overrun by every spamming spoofing silly gringo wannabe realtor in the DR ... giving us the 'factual' information.

Besides that, it is a nice idea.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Oh my God Matilda! ... We'll be overrun by every spamming spoofing silly gringo wannabe realtor in the DR ... giving us the 'factual' information.

Besides that, it is a nice idea.
    Hi Chris, Agreed. Nice to have a "fresh" point of view. lol

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by globalmike295 View Post
    If you like ribs try Rockies in Sosua on the North Coast. I had to say it first because I know there are 20 of you waiting to do this. Any way Sosua is not a bad place to live . Cabarete , for windsurfing is a few miles away.
    lol, I like Cabarete too!

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    lol, I like Cabarete too!
    That's OK Chris. There ARE SO many places to enjoy, and soooo many that can seen from each persons different perspective. Let each find/explore on their own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast