Damn Good Chili

C

Chip00

Just thought I'd share that I found some powdered chili sauce at El Nacional called "McCormicks" like they have back in the states.

All you have to added are some canned whole tomatoes, a can of Kidney beans, 1 lb. of hamburger meat and peppers and onions to your liking. Man is it good - just like my Mom used to make.

I've been here a year now in Santiago and it sure has been great finding all of this food like we have back home - the only drawback is what it does to the waistline!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Chip, when I come back down, I will come with all the ingredients, except the course ground beef, to make you a pot of the BEST chili you EVER put in your mouth. I serve a TON of it at my restaurant/bar in Largo FL, folks come from a long way away just for it and my wings.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Chip, when I come back down, I will come with all the ingredients, except the course ground beef, to make you a pot of the BEST chili you EVER put in your mouth. I serve a TON of it at my restaurant/bar in Largo FL, folks come from a long way away just for it and my wings.

I'm betting those are not "Angel" wings...

Don SantiagoDR

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm betting those are not "Angel" wings...

Don SantiagoDR
:D I never claimed to be a total angel. Just an honest, ethical one.

Even though my chicken wings are immensely popular in the states (I'll put them against ANY alas de pollo anywhere...) they wouldn't be popular in the DR-too spicy, even the "mild". I made ~very~ mild tacos for Alida's family-heat maybe a 3 at most on a scale of 10-and everybody thought "Estos tacos son demasiado calientes". :surprised Maybe Dominican taco meat is just ground meat, devoid of spice and flavor. I dunno. My customers would thing they were waaaay too bland.

Go figure.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Oye, Cabraboy, how about opening a place here in Santiago for your famous wings and chili?

Zeus (what's in your wallet?)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
:D I never claimed to be a total angel. Just an honest, ethical one.

Even though my chicken wings are immensely popular in the states (I'll put them against ANY alas de pollo anywhere...) they wouldn't be popular in the DR-too spicy, even the "mild". I made ~very~ mild tacos for Alida's family-heat maybe a 3 at most on a scale of 10-and everybody thought "Estos tacos son demasiado calientes". :surprised Maybe Dominican taco meat is just ground meat, devoid of spice and flavor. I dunno. My customers would thing they were waaaay too bland.

Go figure.

My Dominican wife loves Caliente,
..........bring some "Caliente" ones with you and I will re-heat in microwave for her to try.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Oye, Cabraboy, how about opening a place here in Santiago for your famous wings and chili?

Zeus (what's in your wallet?)
If I could make a go of it in Santiago, I would. Chicken wings, chili (and variations thereof), pizza, frozen drinks, and a bunch of different beers...

Here is the menu of my place (website is having some construction and clean-up done: Gecko's Menu

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My Dominican wife loves Caliente,
..........bring some "Caliente" ones with you and I will re-heat in microwave for her to try.
Sounds like we need a Chicken Wing Ding at an upcoming SSC...

I'll bring the sauce, but PLEASE-big wings, not those scrawny ones I've seen in the DR...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just To Let You Boys Know,.....

Dominicans say;"Picante",,,not "Caliente" when something is "Spicy hot"!
Caliente refers to temperature.
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have a question for ya' CC>>>>>Is a sexy Dominicana considered Picante or Caliente?

tambo'

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I am an idiot! I was in tampa a few weeks back on business and totally forgot you were in the area. . .actually I was staying in clearwater. . . .even worse.
I love good wings and I see you have presidente on the beer menu.. . . . .damn. . .I am an idiot!

I need to find out where I can get jumbo wings in the DR as they all get tiny after cooking. The hard rock usually has big wings and I doubt they are imported etc. . .. .hmm. . . . .need to investigate.

If I could make a go of it in Santiago, I would. Chicken wings, chili (and variations thereof), pizza, frozen drinks, and a bunch of different beers...

Here is the menu of my place (website is having some construction and clean-up done: Gecko's Menu

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am an idiot! I was in tampa a few weeks back on business and totally forgot you were in the area. . .actually I was staying in clearwater. . . .even worse.
I love good wings and I see you have presidente on the beer menu.. . . . .damn. . .I am an idiot!

I need to find out where I can get jumbo wings in the DR as they all get tiny after cooking. The hard rock usually has big wings and I doubt they are imported etc. . .. .hmm. . . . .need to investigate.
:(

Bummer.

That woulda been great!

Were you visiting Tech Data? I'm like 6 blocks from them, near the St. Pete-Clearwater Int'l Airport.

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006

cobraboy, count me in. I looove my chili and wings. I like 'em picante.

Bring it on !