Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safety and tips for woman alone

Hi everyone,

I have spent 8 months in DR last year prior to july 2006. Since I like hot weather it was somewhat close to paradise.

Im currently travelling in Europe and plan to go back in the coming months for a longer term with my girlfriend.

She is concerned about safety walking alone even at daytime. I dont want to mislead her since I m not a woman and we would appreciate comments from experienced expats about that reality including possible safety tips.

Regards,

Kia and Pete

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We live in Sosua and I feel very safe wandering around Sosua and Caberete in the daytime. I don't go out alone at night.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kia & Pete! Read the "Sticky" on safety carefully. Never change money on the street, don't flash jewellery or cash. Use Travellers Cheques & debit card. Be as careful here as you would anywhere, don't walk alone. Enjoy! Canadian Bob.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in Santo Domingo, have not experienced any safety related problems. The only thing is to be careful with your purses and wallets in crowded places. There are a lot of people who pick pockets espessially in crowds...

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

And don't look like a tourist. Don't wear shorts and low cut tops. I always wear combat trousers so I can keep my money in those.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I always wear combat trousers so I can keep my money in those.
    And pass for female Armed Forces at the same time? Not a bad idea.

Kia, look alert. Don't give the impression you're easily distracted or a ditzy female. Be aware of your surroundings. No walking alone at night.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep your purse, handbag, backpack or what ever on you inside shoulder when walking on the sidewalks. This keeps them away from the motoconcha drivers.

Bob K

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Im a young woman and I came down to DR alone, I lived in Sosua and night or day never had problems, I did not stand out in the crowd (meaning wearing expensive jellewery and flaunting money) and I did just fine. I basicly lived with the rules of safety I use back home. Hope it helps

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't do anything there you wouldn't do at home. No hitch hiking, don't dress like a tourist (for lack of a better expression, i.e. don't wear your beach clothes away from the beach). Watch out for friendly strangers, pick pockets etc. If you are asking for directions, take at least 2 or three opinions. I find that no one likes to admit that they don't know the answer, they'll just guess.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks to all contributors...

Hi,

thanks to all.... yes Canadian Bob, thanks for reminding me, we will carefully review the sticky thread for safety, though I m not a junior traveller it s always good to review safety warnings as a reminder and also for updates.

Last year, got stolen my portable DVD player in Hotel Dorado in Santiago. The prices are low there but was it worth it?

See you,

Kia and Pete